U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 06:01 AM

102 posts, read 372,112 times

Advertisements

Posting this as a courtesy to other consumers so they can can avoid the same problem. (Highlights are in bold, since many don't bother to read an entire post and then make offensive comments.)

I bought a Canon Pixma ip3600 photo printer in August. The cartridges that came with the unit ran out recently, so I went to a well-known refill/replacement franchise in my area. I purchased 5 refill cartridges. I bought 3 at one store, and 2 at another store (in other words, as they ran out).

I now cannot get the printer to print in black (for example, a document off the internet, and Word documents have to be changed to blue ink in order to get a faint print). After I complained to both stores that I couldn't get the black ink to print, the 2nd store finally informed me "Canon printers 'don't like' generic refill cartridges."

Why would two different ink cartridge refill stores sell me cartridges for a printer that both stores informed me was "well-known for "printer head" problems," and the second store also informed me that Canon printers don't like generic refill cartridges?

(Never mind, moot point.)

Now I'm out over $50 and still need to buy ink, only this time I have to buy CANON cartridges, which are far more expensive. Not only that, the full cartridges I have are worthless because the Printer will not recognized them. Had I known this, I would not have purchased the Canon printer.

(By the way, I did my research before purchasing this printer and did not see any negative reviews regarding (1) the print head issue and (2) the generic cartridge issue.

To me, it isn't really a "print head" issue like I was told. It's a "proprietary" issue. Canon manufactures their product in a proprietary manner so that generic refill brands cannot be utilized. Refill stores aren't necessarily going to tell you up front. And they obviously don't do returns either.

If anyone has a solution to this problem, please advise. I've run and re-run and re-run all printer utilities, maintenance and troubleshooting.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Your first mistake was buying an inkjet printer.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:23 AM

1,955 posts, read 9,664,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QERose View Post
Canon manufactures their product in a proprietary manner so that generic refill brands cannot be utilized.
Actually, almost all printer manufacturers do that. They're not making the money selling you the printer - they're making the money selling you the ink/toner. About the only exception is Kodak ... but judging from past reviews, their reliability has been spotty.

Your comment also highlight an aspect of buying refilled cartridges. Refill is simply drill-and-fill with new ink. Any residue from the past is still there. Any level meters are still there. Any page counters are still there.

Remanufacture is cleaned, refresh or replace the chip, and then fill. Still the same old shell, but it's much closer to a new cartridge than the refill.

Then there's 3rd party new, which can be a hit and miss, so look for reviews before committing to them.

In any case, if using these screws up the heads (due to improper ink formulation) or something related, then forget about trying to claim a warranty.

The best bet is to factor OEM ink costs into your usage pattern. Which rules out most sub-$100 printer as "economical". For folks with very low use, include "dried out ink cartridges" in your costs too.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:32 AM

4,791 posts, read 13,329,390 times
I had an iP5000, now I have an MX850 and MP990 Canon Printer. I have used the generic ebay ink cartridges with my printers and they all worked. I'd rather have a Canon printer than an Epson or HP one.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:29 PM

422 posts, read 652,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
+1. I'll never buy inkjet after buying my laser. It cost me only $50 after rebate, and the cartridges last for a year. I never need to print color.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:45 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,812,881 times
Kodak has taken the first shot at this long-annoying issue of proprietary ink and is advertising printers with significantly cheaper ink cartridges. Has anybody tried one? Are they any good?

Old 11-12-2010, 11:54 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post

I don't get why or how people actually argue this. Laser printers and inkjet printers both have their benefits. Laser printers suck at printing photo images compared to inkjet. Sure, laser printiers print beautiful color graphs, charts, and presentations, but not photos.

Also, you can't use laser printers to print to transfer paper, printable blu-ray discs and the alike.

Finally, a standard color laser printer has a much larger footprint than a color inkjet.

That being said, if you don't have a need for an inkjet printer, and you either have the space for a color laser, or don't need color, then a laser printer is a good choice for you. But blindly saying that buying an inkjet is a mistake is just incorrect.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Kodak has taken the first shot at this long-annoying issue of proprietary ink and is advertising printers with significantly cheaper ink cartridges. Has anybody tried one? Are they any good?

I haven't tried them, but they have been getting great reviews. The 8500 pro series also advertises cheaper ink in order to compete with kodak.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I had an iP5000, now I have an MX850 and MP990 Canon Printer. I have used the generic ebay ink cartridges with my printers and they all worked. I'd rather have a Canon printer than an Epson or HP one.
How do you like the MP990? I had actually purchased it but ended up returning it after reading in every single review that it sucks up ink.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:03 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't get why or how people actually argue this. Laser printers and inkjet printers both have their benefits. Laser printers suck at printing photo images compared to inkjet. Sure, laser printiers print beautiful color graphs, charts, and presentations, but not photos.

Also, you can't use laser printers to print to transfer paper, printable blu-ray discs and the alike.

Finally, a standard color laser printer has a much larger footprint than a color inkjet.

That being said, if you don't have a need for an inkjet printer, and you either have the space for a color laser, or don't need color, then a laser printer is a good choice for you. But blindly saying that buying an inkjet is a mistake is just incorrect.
Because 99% of the time, people buy cheap consumer grade inkjet crap that costs a fortune in ink, is slow, then dies. If you really ask people how often they really NEED color, its not that often. The biggest reason people buy inkjets is because they're $49 at Best Buy, not because they're good. For those needing color at all, most of the time its to print pictures. Costco will print decent looking 4x6's for $0.15/ea and online labs will do an even better job for not much more.

Its not worth my time to screw with a slow, fussy, clog-prone printer that was put on this Earth to sell as much ink as possible. I have a monochrome laser and keep telling myself that if I ever need a document printed in color, I can always take it to my dad's house (he has a color laser). I haven't actually done that in the 5 years since I ditched my inkjet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers