Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:16 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,949 times

Advertisements

Cisco Linksys WRT54G2 V1 (the low profile black router with no external antenna)

Win 7 64
Cox Cable to ARRIS Modem to Cisco Linksys WRT54G2 V1 and then ethernet to my Win7 PC and several wireless PCs and laptops
WPA2

This problem started a week or two ago. I have the latest firmware installed.
Several times a day I lose internet connection (connection between my network and the internet) as there is a red X between "Internet" and my network icon in Network and Sharing Center. No web pages load. If I ping anything, I get nothing. (I forgot if I still have network connectivity amongst the computers on my network.)

There's a red X between "Home" and "Internet" in the diagram below. (This is not my screen shot - I'm running Win7 - I think that is Vista below.)

http://www.cyberwalker.com/images/editorial/vista_network_sharing_center.png (broken link)

If I hit the reset button on the router, everything works fine in a few seconds.

Here is the weird thing. While I have the red X (no internet) and no pages load and pop email doesn't download, my BitTorrent keeps downloading as if there is no internet problems. What the heck is going on?

Could be the router is crapping out. It was pretty cheap; might just buy another router rather than troubleshoot for hours or deal with Cox for hours. But still, this seems so bizarre.

1) Any idea how in the heck bittorrent can keep downloading under the conditions described above and
2) Router recommendations?

I was thinking of going back to the blue and black Linksys Routers with antennas. (Do they still make these? I see them on Amazon but not on the Linksys site.) They seem to work the same as the black ones but I like the idea of an external physical antenna for some reason - though they are kind of flimsy and break off easily.
http://www.tech-faq.com/graphics/forgot-linksys-router-password.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 08:54 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,709 times
I had the same problem a few years back with the blue/black linksys router you pictured. Connection dropped, I reset and everything was fine. I never did find the root cause. I ended up getting a new router (a belkin) and haven't had a problem since.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:02 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
I'm no expert but I have noticed that when my microwave is turned on I lose Wi-Fi until the microwave is off for a few minutes. Maybe a neighbor is heating something up?

Old 11-12-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I'm no expert but I have noticed that when my microwave is turned on I lose Wi-Fi until the microwave is off for a few minutes. Maybe a neighbor is heating something up?
That may have something to do with your situation but my PC is etherneted into the router and my and all the wireless connections stop.

Still, why is bittorrent still able to download????

Old 11-12-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I had the same problem a few years back with the blue/black linksys router you pictured. Connection dropped, I reset and everything was fine. I never did find the root cause. I ended up getting a new router (a belkin) and haven't had a problem since.
I too had something similar with the black/blue router. I would end up reseting to factory settings then resetting the security. It wasn't that hard then because usually I was the only user but now it is about five of us using PCs all over the house and if I'm at work they really don't know what to do except reset the router (which works).

Old 11-12-2010, 10:32 PM

422 posts, read 792,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
That may have something to do with your situation but my PC is etherneted into the router and my and all the wireless connections stop.

Still, why is bittorrent still able to download????
Most p2p programs are HUGE bandwidth hogs. Usually, when there is someone on a network downloading on p2p, the whole network crawls. Simply because the p2p user is making hundreds of connections a minute to download all the pieces of the file.

I'm not saying that p2p is your problem, but if you have a slow internet connection, it will definitely bring it to its knees.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
(I forgot if I still have network connectivity amongst the computers on my network.)

I just had the problem again and noticed I dd have network connectivity between computers in my house so it seems to be an internet through the router thing....but still don't understand the bittorrent.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
Most p2p programs are HUGE bandwidth hogs. Usually, when there is someone on a network downloading on p2p, the whole network crawls. Simply because the p2p user is making hundreds of connections a minute to download all the pieces of the file.

I'm not saying that p2p is your problem, but if you have a slow internet connection, it will definitely bring it to its knees.
That's the first thing I did, shut off bittorrent and that didn't bring my pc internet back.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:33 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Okay, this is a simple question, but you do have a password set up, and it is protected? Because if other people are tapping into your connection, it will kick you out.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Okay, this is a simple question, but you do have a password set up, and it is protected? Because if other people are tapping into your connection, it will kick you out.

That's a good question and no, all I had was admin, admin....will change that right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers