U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 01:07 AM

405 posts, read 1,167,538 times

Advertisements

Theres a little magnifying glass on the right of my lower tool bar.
About once a day it flashes, the fans in the tower wind way up,
and it starts " indexing ".
During this time my system slows to a crawl for about 10 or 12 min.
while this process continues.
Then the fans wind down and things return to normal.
Can somebody explain this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 01:23 AM

40,266 posts, read 41,830,220 times
This is one of those features the average user really doesn't need. It speeds up searches for files and content in them but the average user rarely is searching for files.

Speed Up or Disable Windows Search Indexing in Vista - How-To Geek

The directions there apply to XP, should be similar for Win7 too.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:38 AM

405 posts, read 1,167,538 times
Thanx...I'll give it a try.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:44 PM

422 posts, read 652,489 times
Index (database) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is simply scanning every file to make searching faster.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:47 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is one of those features the average user really doesn't need. It speeds up searches for files and content in them but the average user rarely is searching for files.

Speed Up or Disable Windows Search Indexing in Vista - How-To Geek

The directions there apply to XP, should be similar for Win7 too.
Windows 7 makes searching an integral part of the OS by making it the starting point for your cursor when you open the start menu. Because of this, I use the search functionality more than ever before. It's so much faster to open the start menu and start typing what I'm going to open than browse the file structure.

Maybe it's just me, but I think Indexing saves a lot of time at very little performance cost if any on modern systems.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:10 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,846,836 times
Fact: Windows' search function sucks.
Fact: Indexing is a system hog, especially hard and the HD, just to make files searching a little faster. Windows 7 seems to have improved the process but if you are not doing much file searching or using a more robust 3rd party app for the process, you might as well disable it, especially in XP (both from the service control panel and properties of the drive in question).

Old 11-14-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Fact: Windows' search function sucks.
Fact: Indexing is a system hog, especially hard and the HD, just to make files searching a little faster. Windows 7 seems to have improved the process but if you are not doing much file searching or using a more robust 3rd party app for the process, you might as well disable it, especially in XP (both from the service control panel and properties of the drive in question).
You do realize that both of those "Facts" are really opinions based on observation right?

The indexing process seems to have little or no affect on my system performance. And I like that I can search with literally no wait time. With indexing disabled, search can take up to 10 seconds on my SSD and up to a minute on my HD.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:19 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,846,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You do realize that both of those "Facts" are really opinions based on observation right?

The indexing process seems to have little or no affect on my system performance. And I like that I can search with literally no wait time. With indexing disabled, search can take up to 10 seconds on my SSD and up to a minute on my HD.
Uh no, proven facts when a regular PATA/SATA drive is used and the OS is XP. I agree, Windows 7 seems to have a much improved search utility but still indexing is a constant background process which can consume significant resources, on a system using SS and mucho RAM, this may not be noticeable but it still a fact.
Again, if you are using the search function even once a day that it makes sense to have it enabled.

I am one of those rare cats who hardly ever use it and when I do, I prefer a third part tool that offers good options, doesn't need constant file indexing and can still find anything with ease and just as fast.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Uh no, proven facts when a regular PATA/SATA drive is used and the OS is XP. I agree, Windows 7 seems to have a much improved search utility but still indexing is a constant background process which can consume significant resources, on a system using SS and mucho RAM, this may not be noticeable but it still a fact.
Again, if you are using the search function even once a day that it makes sense to have it enabled.

I am one of those rare cats who hardly ever use it and when I do, I prefer a third part tool that offers good options, doesn't need constant file indexing and can still find anything with ease and just as fast.
I never really used search regularly until Windows 7. And even now, I'm new to using regularly. I just discovered how much faster it is to type the name of what I want and have instant results than go through my folder structure.

And saying something sucks is still objective and cannot be proven. I am happy with it and objectively feel that it does not suck. The older Windows search (included in XP and earlier) really suck, in my opinion. Vista and Windows 7 w/ indexing are excellent. Also, indexing calms down once everything is already indexed. Unless you are changing gigs of data at a time (which is unusual for the average user) the indexing service sits idle.

Last edited by NJBest; 11-15-2010 at 01:26 AM..

Old 11-15-2010, 07:16 AM

11,734 posts, read 11,313,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
..... And saying something sucks is still objective and cannot be proven. .....
Does this mean that "sucks" is no longer a technical term??

Reminds me of a tech I once worked with. Whenever Windows seemed to have become corrupted, he said the PC was "hosed." I always asked him which technical school taught him that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or