U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-15-2010, 08:56 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Reputation: 7514

Advertisements

I have an Intel DG965RY motherboard with onboard 5.1 audio that's I'd like to connect to a receiver. The back panel only has 3.5mm line out, line in, and mic jacks. No coax or optical outs. If I connected that output to L/R RCA inputs on my receiver, would the 5.1 make it through?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2010, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
964 posts, read 2,376,488 times
Reputation: 577
I'm guessing the 3.5mm is analog 1V peak to peak, not sure. Doubt there is multiplexing or encoding or anything like that. Probably only going to get two channels that's it. Maybe more advanced motherboards have 5.1 capability.
So, to be honest, I don't know but I'll watch the thread to learn myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 10:08 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
I'm guessing the 3.5mm is analog 1V peak to peak, not sure. Doubt there is multiplexing or encoding or anything like that. Probably only going to get two channels that's it. Maybe more advanced motherboards have 5.1 capability.
So, to be honest, I don't know but I'll watch the thread to learn myself.
Well the specs for the motherboard claim 5.1 audio support. But I'm wondering if this board's chip has more capability than the I/O ports they soldered on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 10:10 PM
 
422 posts, read 652,335 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I have an Intel DG965RY motherboard with onboard 5.1 audio that's I'd like to connect to a receiver. The back panel only has 3.5mm line out, line in, and mic jacks. No coax or optical outs. If I connected that output to L/R RCA inputs on my receiver, would the 5.1 make it through?
3.5mm jack is stereo only. Not 5.1. It wouldnt work. Need multiple jacks, or optical out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
18,546 posts, read 55,469,830 times
Reputation: 32291
If using six speakers:

* Connect the front left/right speakers to connector (B).
* Connect the rear left/right speakers to connector (A).
* Connect the center/subwoofer speakers to connector (C).
* Using the audio driver interface, retask connector (A) to be Rear Left/Right Out and retask connector (C) to be Center/LFE Out.

Desktop Boards — Troubleshooting audio issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Closer than you think !
445 posts, read 1,408,962 times
Reputation: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If using six speakers:

* Connect the front left/right speakers to connector (B).
* Connect the rear left/right speakers to connector (A).
* Connect the center/subwoofer speakers to connector (C).
* Using the audio driver interface, retask connector (A) to be Rear Left/Right Out and retask connector (C) to be Center/LFE Out.

Desktop Boards — Troubleshooting audio issues
Great Link - Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 25,909,091 times
Reputation: 9219
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If using six speakers:

* Connect the front left/right speakers to connector (B).
* Connect the rear left/right speakers to connector (A).
* Connect the center/subwoofer speakers to connector (C).
* Using the audio driver interface, retask connector (A) to be Rear Left/Right Out and retask connector (C) to be Center/LFE Out.

Desktop Boards — Troubleshooting audio issues
That is an interesting setup for those boards.

But it will not be useful for many home theater receivers because they want digital audio signal, not six analog signals. Most low to medium cost receivers today do not have analog surround sound inputs. Older Dolby Pro Logic receivers without Dolby Digital had these inputs because some of the CD players had the Dolby Digital decoders built in.

The typical home theater receiver today has the following connections for each input:

Analog audio (left/right and red/white RCA)
Analog composite video (yellow RCA)
s-video (s-video connector)
Digital audio (RCA coax and/or Toslink optical)
HDMI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 05:20 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Reputation: 7514
My receiver actually has 8 channel analog input. I have a 3.5mm to RCA cable on order so I'm going to try that first and see how it sounds. I only have 3 channel (L-C-R) speakers right now anyway so if the receiver can synthesize the center channel out of the L/R inputs, it'll get the job done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 25,909,091 times
Reputation: 9219
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
My receiver actually has 8 channel analog input. I have a 3.5mm to RCA cable on order so I'm going to try that first and see how it sounds. I only have 3 channel (L-C-R) speakers right now anyway so if the receiver can synthesize the center channel out of the L/R inputs, it'll get the job done
You are in luck with the analog inputs.

Do not expect a valid center channel. There is NO encoded surround signals in the analog L/R signals unless your sound source and the sound card will generate Dolby ProLogic encoding.

Last edited by hoffdano; 11-18-2010 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2010, 02:19 AM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Reputation: 7514
Well I got my patch cord (3.5mm to L/R RCA) hooked up tonight and it sounds pretty good. I have a nice Yamaha receiver and the DSP is creating a center channel from the L/R inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top