U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:29 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times

Advertisements

My wife had the vundo.trojan. I found out after running a couple of antimalware programs to clean her computer. She had the same problem you did. There was nothing in the subject line. I think there are a number of versions of the vundo.trojan.

But my wife wanted to make sure this won't happen again, and she also cleared out her contact list. I think there might've been one site that gave her this trojan. One site I've heard a lot about -- but can't prove it right now, is Matt Drudge's site. I understand there are a number of pop-up ads there, from what I've read. Jus' sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,773,593 times
It just happened again and I had my cable modem set on standby. I really need to cancel these delayed messages from my MSN account. This is driving me crazy!

Old 11-19-2010, 06:30 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
It just happened again and I had my cable modem set on standby. I really need to cancel these delayed messages from my MSN account. This is driving me crazy!
Haven't you contacted MSN Customer Service about this yet?
Typically if the address book is on the local because you are using a local e-mail client program then I would suspect a malicious software on your computer but if you are using an Internet based e-mail service like MSN/Hotmail/Yahoo then I would naturally suspect the actual e-mail account being hijacked and contact the customer service of that e-mail vendor.

If you want to be certain, then install a software firewall on your system lie ZoneAlarm, Sygate or Outpost or Comodo Internet Security a free AV Scanner + Firewall combo package that does a great job. Especially for novice users, this is a good software to use. If you are going to try Comodo Internet Security package, then make sure you uninstall any anti-virus scanners you currently have installed on your system or just down their firewall utility.
If there are any funny business happening in the background without your consent, by using one of these utilities, you are sure to be alerted about!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:03 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,761,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Your computer can't do anything when its off. Someone got your MSN password. Change your password to something strong asap.
Your computer is not 100% off when you shut it down, unless you unplug it afterwards or flip the on/off switch in the back of it (and remove the battery if it is a laptop). Otherwise, a virus can be programmed to turn on your computer at any given time (i.e.: 2:00 AM), do whatever it wants, and shut down the PC, all while you're sleeping.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:46 AM

3,118 posts, read 3,933,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Your computer is not 100% off when you shut it down, unless you unplug it afterwards or flip the on/off switch in the back of it (and remove the battery if it is a laptop). Otherwise, a virus can be programmed to turn on your computer at any given time (i.e.: 2:00 AM), do whatever it wants, and shut down the PC, all while you're sleeping.
Unless he has a DRAC card in the back of his laptop (which is severely unlikely), this is not true at all. In a standard laptop, the virus would either have to reside in the boot sector, as a system file in the OS, or as an executable. None of those locations would be able to force a computer to turn on. If he's undergone the shutdown procedure on the laptop, the OS would not be active (not even a little). The drip of power consumption to the laptop while powered down is not significant enough to keep the hard drive spinning or the motherboard powered. This also removes the possibility of a boot sector virus and executables. Viruses have to be able to piggy back another program.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:14 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:

The only way this would be possible is if the Virus was able to configure the Power On timer in the BIOS. Not likely at all... especially in an OEM computer.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:29 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,761,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The only way this would be possible is if the Virus was able to configure the Power On timer in the BIOS. Not likely at all... especially in an OEM computer.
No need to enter the BIOS to set the RTC alarm. At least in Linux, a root user could do "cat $epoch_time >/sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm" and cause the computer to turn on at a preset time by setting the RTC alarm. I do it all the time. Even more, this will work even if you have all the wake-up options disabled at the BIOS configuration screen.

I would assume that a virus in Windows could also set the RTC alarm without having the user fiddle with BIOS settings first.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:06 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
No need to enter the BIOS to set the RTC alarm. At least in Linux, a root user could do "cat $epoch_time >/sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm" and cause the computer to turn on at a preset time by setting the RTC alarm. I do it all the time. Even more, this will work even if you have all the wake-up options disabled at the BIOS configuration screen.

I would assume that a virus in Windows could also set the RTC alarm without having the user fiddle with BIOS settings first.

Yea, you can do it with schedular in Windows. I associated with the BIOS because that's where the setting is typically visible, but you are right, it's not part of the BIOS itself.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:39 AM

52,155 posts, read 30,218,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Many have already mentioned that your computer cannot do anything when it's off, although incoming, and possibly outgoing messages on the MSN server do get queued until you login to access your account on MSN.

What kind of anti-virus program do you have on your system? I assume it has the latest virus definition updates (???)

Old 11-25-2010, 04:11 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times
Hmmm. This is a long time ago, but it seemed to me I had it set up to turn the computer on to do maintenance, around two or three o'clock. The computer was off, but the switch was not in the off position.

BTW, I stopped doing that pretty quick, because the racket would wake me up.

I'm not a hundred percent clear just how "off" the OP meant. I mean, there are at least two degrees of "off-ness..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or