U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Riverside, CA
2,404 posts, read 3,773,951 times
Reputation: 2274

Advertisements

I just got hit with a virus that sends everyone in my MSN contact list an e-mail asking if they want to make money. It sends the e-mails when my computer is turned off. I tried running Spybot and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and they both came up with no viruses. Anyone hear of this virus and any solutions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2010, 05:45 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,343,249 times
Reputation: 7514
Your computer can't do anything when its off. Someone got your MSN password. Change your password to something strong asap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 06:18 PM
 
28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times
Reputation: 37303
Password checker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Riverside, CA
2,404 posts, read 3,773,951 times
Reputation: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Your computer can't do anything when its off. Someone got your MSN password. Change your password to something strong asap.
Thanks for the reply. I was racking my brain trying to think of how they were doing it. I just changed my password. Hopefully it works. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 07:47 PM
 
3,118 posts, read 3,933,581 times
Reputation: 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I just got hit with a virus that sends everyone in my MSN contact list an e-mail asking if they want to make money. It sends the e-mails when my computer is turned off. I tried running Spybot and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and they both came up with no viruses. Anyone hear of this virus and any solutions? Thanks!
There is a (in all probability, unnecessary) question neither of the responders asked: Are these emails being sent when you initiate your shutdown procedure on the machine, or significantly thereafter?

If it's the latter, then...well yeah....how is it going to send an email when it's powered down?

If it's the former...I haven't heard of a virus doing that in about 7 years, but I suppose it's possible someone would bring that old classic back. Does your computer successfully complete its shutdown process, or does it fail and remain powered on/lag significantly before powering down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Riverside, CA
2,404 posts, read 3,773,951 times
Reputation: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
There is a (in all probability, unnecessary) question neither of the responders asked: Are these emails being sent when you initiate your shutdown procedure on the machine, or significantly thereafter?

If it's the latter, then...well yeah....how is it going to send an email when it's powered down?

If it's the former...I haven't heard of a virus doing that in about 7 years, but I suppose it's possible someone would bring that old classic back. Does your computer successfully complete its shutdown process, or does it fail and remain powered on/lag significantly before powering down?
The last batch of e-mails were sent about nine hours after the computer had been shut down. I didn't think that a computer virus could work on a shut down computer, but these days who knows what hackers are coming up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 11:33 PM
 
3,118 posts, read 3,933,581 times
Reputation: 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
The last batch of e-mails were sent about nine hours after the computer had been shut down. I didn't think that a computer virus could work on a shut down computer, but these days who knows what hackers are coming up with.
Well, rest assured they'll never come up with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 11:49 PM
 
551 posts, read 1,207,978 times
Reputation: 349
Try using keyscrambler to encode your keystrokes when using internet explorer or firefox. Change your passwords on a clean computer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 11:54 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,845,994 times
Reputation: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
The last batch of e-mails were sent about nine hours after the computer had been shut down. I didn't think that a computer virus could work on a shut down computer, but these days who knows what hackers are coming up with.
A virus within a system cannot do anything when the system is completely powered off but unfortunately a PC/laptop that was shutdown yet connected to a power source and Internet is never 100% secure. One simple example is, if the virus, while it was active, was designed to reconfigure the power related settings in the BIOS, so that the computer could be powered on via a network signal, then the hacker/server that got your IP from the virus/Trojan/worm on your system then it could wake up the machine.

As to your initial question, as others mentioned, your account is compromised. It happened to several of my friends and it was their account not their PC. I advised them to contact Hotmail/MSN customer service but at the same time, permanently remove all contacts from the account in question.
Some of them told me that when they contacted Hotmail customer service, they seem to have heard this issue already and they advised the same thing I told them (remove all contacts from that account's address book) and have the account suspended or deleted afterward (if applicable).
One of the people told me that it was his 'decoy' e-mail address that he was using when he knew it would get spam as an outcome to wherever he used it and that he wasn't even aware the account was compromised until I warned him about it. So I am guessing he received an e-mail that had a malicious file as an attachment or he used the e-mail address to sign up to a site which sent him an activation/confirmation e-mail with a link that hijacked the account credentials.

In any event, good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Riverside, CA
2,404 posts, read 3,773,951 times
Reputation: 2274
I changed my password and deleted all my contacts. I just got a batch of nondeliverable e-mails back. My computer was off. It looks like they sent the e-mails using a delayed delivery. Is this possible and how do I cancel all delayed e-mails from sending again. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top