U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 05:09 PM

1,368 posts, read 2,454,219 times

Advertisements

I am having an issue with some songs in my itunes library not syncing with my ipod. The songs I noticed that are missing were missing from the playlists on my ipod, but not the master song list on my ipod. If I go to all songs, albums or artists on my ipod, the songs missing from the playlist are there and able to play them. The missing songs also play just fine in itunes, I don't believe file corruption to be the problem. So it's the playlists that are not syncing correctly.

Itunes is set up to sync my entire library with the ipod. Space is not an issue. I've reset my ipod to factory defaults, that did not resolve the issue. I tried deleting and recreating the playlists, that also did not work.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 05:17 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times
Here's my idea.

Take your ipod and put it for sale on craigslist. Lots of suckers would love one.
Go buy a normal MP3 player that you can plug and play with any computer and play wma and that isn't stuck with itunes.

Why the iPod sucks

Last edited by Charles; 12-01-2010 at 05:29 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 08:16 AM

3,743 posts, read 10,928,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Here's my idea.

Take your ipod and put it for sale on craigslist. Lots of suckers would love one.
Go buy a normal MP3 player that you can plug and play with any computer and play wma and that isn't stuck with itunes.
Now for something that might actually be helpful....

Some questions -
1 - the songs that aren't synching - is the checkbox to the left of the sing in iTunes checked or not?
2 - do you keep all your music in one folder for iTunes?
3 - what type of music file are these songs? In iTunes, right-click on the song in question, and choose "show in Finder". What suffix is the song? It will be something like ".mp3", ".mp4", ".mpA", etc... Any commonality there?

And despite Charles's snide post, its not a problem that only effects iPods but all mp3 players - http://getsatisfaction.com/songbird/...sync_all_songs

Old 12-02-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Now for something that might actually be helpful....

Some questions -
1 - the songs that aren't synching - is the checkbox to the left of the sing in iTunes checked or not?
2 - do you keep all your music in one folder for iTunes?
3 - what type of music file are these songs? In iTunes, right-click on the song in question, and choose "show in Finder". What suffix is the song? It will be something like ".mp3", ".mp4", ".mpA", etc... Any commonality there?

And despite Charles's snide post, its not a problem that only effects iPods but all mp3 players - Doesn't Sync all Songs

1. Yes, everything is checked
2. 2 folders, 1 is an mp3 folder from cd's I ripped before getting an ipod and just added those songs to the library. The other is the default music folder itunes creates.
3. Only comminality I found is the songs that are not synching were all from the itunes store. I checked a few that weren't synching and they are m4p files.

It's only in playlists they are not syncing. These songs show up and play just fine if I look under albums or artists.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
its not a problem that only effects iPods but all mp3 players
I have never experienced the problems described in this thread or in that link using WMP and any of a number of generic or name brand MP3 players.

I'll stand by what I wrote. The Ipod is overly restrictive, and popular only due to massive marketing strategies.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:40 PM

Quick update. I decided to nuke my itunes library and start from scratch. Readded my music, then recreated a playlist and the same issue, only different songs were not syncing. Again, only in the playlists. The entire library is there when I go to all songs, albums or artists.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:18 AM

I think I got it. Looks like itunes 10 was the culprit. I rolled back to itunes 9 (had to wipe my library again because itunes 9 can't read the library xml file if it was created with 10). Reloaded my library onto itunes 9 and began recreating my playlists. So far got 9 playlists recreated and all songs sync onto the ipod. Should just be a matter recreating the rest of my playlists.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I have never experienced the problems described in this thread or in that link using WMP and any of a number of generic or name brand MP3 players.

I'll stand by what I wrote. The Ipod is overly restrictive, and popular only due to massive marketing strategies.
Your opinions are one thing. Interjecting them into others' conversations and not being helpful is not beneficial to anyone. If you don't have anything beneficial to say, don't post.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I think I got it. Looks like itunes 10 was the culprit. I rolled back to itunes 9 (had to wipe my library again because itunes 9 can't read the library xml file if it was created with 10). Reloaded my library onto itunes 9 and began recreating my playlists. So far got 9 playlists recreated and all songs sync onto the ipod. Should just be a matter recreating the rest of my playlists.
Good to hear. Since it was iTunes-purchased songs that weren't synching, I was going to suggest you deauthorize and then reauthorize the computer to play iTunes purchased content to see if that helped.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Your opinions are one thing. Interjecting them into others' conversations and not being helpful is not beneficial to anyone. If you don't have anything beneficial to say, don't post.
It is beneficial.

Hopefully others will come to realize what a hassle Ipods and Itunes are. People will use the search tool on this forum when performing Ipod related searches. Some people may think that all MP3 players are as difficult to use and as limiting as an Ipod. That fact is, most (all?) other MP3 players are pretty generic mass storage devices that interface with most other OS systems seamlessly. The problem the original poster had and caused him to have to erase everything and start from scratch would not have happened with a normal MP3 player. Yes, my posts are beneficial.

Quote:
because itunes 9 can't read the library xml file
Quote:
I am having an issue with some songs in my itunes library not syncing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or