U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2010, 09:41 PM
 
50,848 posts, read 47,145,131 times
Reputation: 15976

Advertisements

I have had my current laptop for about 15 months. To say the least it is having a few issues. Among them is the battery. It has gotten to where my battery can't hold a charge. I am considering buying a new laptop. I finally have a job, and some more money coming in for college. There are some things that I need to get, and some money that I need to save for later. Among the things I am considering is a new laptop. My current one is a CQ60(Compaq). The thing is, I need to find the best one for the price. I have been told that Toshiba laptops crash and that Dells don't last long. I don't know where to start. What I am looking for is a good laptop. Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 PM
 
269 posts, read 810,499 times
Reputation: 159
Don't know where you heard "Toshiba laptops crash" but they tend to be my laptop of choice. Technically all manufacturers have bad laptops but Toshiba tends to put out good ones.

How quickly do you need it?
What's your budget (max you'd like to spend and preferred amount to spend)?
What are your requirements for the laptop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 08:47 AM
 
50,848 posts, read 47,145,131 times
Reputation: 15976
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippi View Post
Don't know where you heard "Toshiba laptops crash" but they tend to be my laptop of choice. Technically all manufacturers have bad laptops but Toshiba tends to put out good ones.

How quickly do you need it?
What's your budget (max you'd like to spend and preferred amount to spend)?
What are your requirements for the laptop?
I don't want to spend more than $450 on a laptop. I bought a refurbished Compaq for $350 plus taxes. I heard about "Toshiba laptops crash" from other students. I don't need it right away I plan on waiting until the end of January(around the last 10 days of January).
I need a laptop that is going to be fast, doesn't overheat so easily,good storage,good power storage. I use things such as skype, ArcGIS,Google Earth, Adobe Reader, webcams, youtube, hulu, and sometimes I watch DVD's on laptops. I want something that will be of decent quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
12,004 posts, read 14,133,987 times
Reputation: 8175
OMG. Toshiba laptops crash? Seriously? It is ridiculous to say any brand of computer "crashes" more then any other brand.
And Dells don't last long? That's weak, too.
My Dell laptop is 3 years old and purring right along.

If you take care of your laptop, it will last a long time. Well, long enough anyway. A laptop will only be "good" for about 4 years. By then it is so out of date it is time to get a new one.
This is why I don't advise spending a lot of money on a laptop.

The only brand I avoid is HP/Compaq.
Just goes to show you: for every person that likes a brand there is another that doesn't.

Get a: Lenovo, IBM, Toshiba, Sony. Or just get a new battery for your current laptop. A dead battery is no reason to get rid of a laptop.
No one makes a battery that last more then 2 years and they all start to degrade after about one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 09:51 AM
 
50,848 posts, read 47,145,131 times
Reputation: 15976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
OMG. Toshiba laptops crash? Seriously? It is ridiculous to say any brand of computer "crashes" more then any other brand.
And Dells don't last long? That's weak, too.
My Dell laptop is 3 years old and purring right along.

If you take care of your laptop, it will last a long time. Well, long enough anyway. A laptop will only be "good" for about 4 years. By then it is so out of date it is time to get a new one.
This is why I don't advise spending a lot of money on a laptop.

The only brand I avoid is HP/Compaq.
Just goes to show you: for every person that likes a brand there is another that doesn't.

Get a: Lenovo, IBM, Toshiba, Sony. Or just get a new battery for your current laptop. A dead battery is no reason to get rid of a laptop.
No one makes a battery that last more then 2 years and they all start to degrade after about one.
Someone at a computer store recommended a refurbished Compaq. Then again, I knew absolutely nothing about laptops. In a way, I'm still in the dark.

Replacing a battery is expensive. Especially if a battery goes bad after a year.

Anything I have heard about laptops comes from other students. That is all I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Pomona
1,955 posts, read 9,716,484 times
Reputation: 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Someone at a computer store recommended a refurbished Compaq. Then again, I knew absolutely nothing about laptops. In a way, I'm still in the dark.
Historically, HP/Compaq ranks the lowest. Acer and Gateway aren't much better.
Laptop & Notebook Service & Reliability Survey 2009 - Survey Says: PCMag Readers Pick Favorite Products | PCMag.com

Dell ... my experience has been mostly with the Latitude D-series, which were discontinued a couple years ago already. The dual-core processors can still hold their own these days, but feature-wise, they can't compare to newer laptops. No USB 3.0, no HDMI, forget about 3D or gaming, and rarely a SD reader. I do like their magnesium alloy chassis, ease of service (because Dell has the service documents posted on the support site), and since it was a business laptop, a long product lifecycle meaning any replacement parts (both new or used) are readily available.

Dell's newer lineup? ... I can't tell you. Research yourself on this part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No one makes a battery that last more then 2 years and they all start to degrade after about one.
Too much of a blanket statement - the battery in my 7+ year old Dell still holds 30 minutes. It's a far cry from the original 4+ hours, however.

They all do degrade, though. To what extent, that is a matter of how it's used, how often it's charged/discharged, and its battery cell quality and supplier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 10:30 AM
 
Location: FLG/PHX/MKE
7,286 posts, read 13,856,489 times
Reputation: 11592
A 15 month old laptop should be good for another 2 years, unless there is some sort of software requirement for a brand new system. Even older systems usually run newer software (but not always).

Buy a new battery, and buy the original factory replacement. It is expensive, you are right about that. The problem is that the cheap ones almost always suck after 6 months (if not sooner).

Be careful about taking advice from the very people who are probably having system crashes. Most repeat system crashes are software related, and are very fixable. It's not uncommon to open a "problem" laptop to find that there are 50 icons in the system tray, and the processor is under a constant, high load. The registry is usually a disaster. Hard drives are all fragmented, etc.

I use a 4 year old Dell D820 that has traveled hundreds of thousands of not very kind miles. It doesn't look so good anymore, but it sure does work well. I take care not to load bloatware onto it, that's about it. It's well maintained, but it's not babied. I'm a senior systems analyst and developer, so it's not like I'm an average user either. I put high demands on my system and don't treat it that well when it's in the laptop case.

I rarely give up computers until they are utterly useless. I have a Dell Dimension something from 2002 that runs Debian Linux because it's just too slow to run anything else anymore, but it does what I need it to do. I also have a Windows 7 box which will probably last me until 2015 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
12,004 posts, read 14,133,987 times
Reputation: 8175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Too much of a blanket statement - the battery in my 7+ year old Dell still holds 30 minutes. It's a far cry from the original 4+ hours, however.
It fits.
Come on: 30 minutes? That's not even usable as a laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Pomona
1,955 posts, read 9,716,484 times
Reputation: 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It fits. Come on: 30 minutes? That's not even usable as a laptop.
But it's not dead, at least, which was what the previous comment moreso inferred.

If you want a newer sampling, there's the sub-$200 off-lease Latitude D531 I bought for my sister. Over 3 years old, and just under 3-1/2 hours of battery life on its original 6-cell. My 5 year old D610 can still do 2-1/2 hours on the original 6-cell battery too. From what I read, they each did 4 hours (give or take) of "office use" when they were new.

Granted, for every "it's doing fine" I can offer, there will be ones that don't even make it to the second year. An ex-coworker's son's Gateway was down to an hour at month #9 and 10 minutes at month #15. My dad's Compaq completely died at month #13. My sister's Toshiba, which even when new couldn't do more than 2 hours, was down to 40 minutes by month #18.

Bottom line? There's no "two year" rule when it comes to laptop batteries. "Your mileage may vary" is the real answer here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,194 posts, read 22,679,685 times
Reputation: 6173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
But it's not dead, at least, which was what the previous comment moreso inferred.

If you want a newer sampling, there's the sub-$200 off-lease Latitude D531 I bought for my sister. Over 3 years old, and just under 3-1/2 hours of battery life on its original 6-cell. My 5 year old D610 can still do 2-1/2 hours on the original 6-cell battery too. From what I read, they each did 4 hours (give or take) of "office use" when they were new.

Granted, for every "it's doing fine" I can offer, there will be ones that don't even make it to the second year. An ex-coworker's son's Gateway was down to an hour at month #9 and 10 minutes at month #15. My dad's Compaq completely died at month #13. My sister's Toshiba, which even when new couldn't do more than 2 hours, was down to 40 minutes by month #18.

Bottom line? There's no "two year" rule when it comes to laptop batteries. "Your mileage may vary" is the real answer here.
I bought the Macbook I am currently using used from a friend two years ago. When I bought it from him, it was only one year old. The battery was completely dead-wouldn't hold a charge. I got a new battery, and it is still holding fine after two years. I can go at least two yours doing "office work", but can't watch a full movie. Or maybe I can? I rarely watch movies on my laptop.

I know laptops are "portable", but I find it amazing that so many people elect to not plug them in unless they are charging the battery. If you are indoors, and near an outlet, plug the thing in! Then again, it is your money, so I guess I really don't care.

Aside from being addicted to the plug, I also have battery settings that are optimized for power conservation and not performance. If you are going to use your battery to power your laptop, you should lower the settings so it doesn't draw so much power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top