U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2011, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,238 posts, read 25,176,202 times
Reputation: 10549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
How often do you reboot your computer?
Do you turn it off every time you leave it and boot up when you come back?

For years I have turned off at night and booted up in the morning.
Lately, I have often let it sleep at night and resumed in the morning. Last week, I left it on for 3 or 4 days and it slept at night and started up in the morning.
But, it seems to pick up various transient idiosyncrancies or operational lags when I don't reboot.

I let it sleep last night, and this morning it would not play the video on YouTube videos, just audio. Gave me a green screen on the videos.
Rebooted and video played fine.
I was under the impression that Windows XP and earlier had some stability issues that rebooting was necessary, but that W7 wouldn't need rebooting regularly.

Curious about what the regulars here have to say.

If it matters:
Dell i7
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
6 GB memory
750GB hard drive less than half full.

Over the weekend, I usually leave it on, but weeknights, I turn it off before I go to work. No reason to have it on when I'm not even here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2011, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Log "cabin" west of Bangor
2,958 posts, read 3,177,124 times
Reputation: 2505
Most of my machines usually run for months at a time without reboots, Win98/2k/XP/Vista (no Win7) and various flavors of Linux. Laptop goes to sleep when traveling but rarely ever gets turned off completely (unless I leave it sleeping too long on battery).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 08:04 PM
 
Location: MO Ozarkian in NE Hoosierana
4,679 posts, read 7,466,842 times
Reputation: 6734
Work Dell laptop running XP [and various work-related s/w programs]... reboot every ~3-6 days, due to system sloooooowing down drastically over that time period.

Home MacBook and iMac running 10.6 [mainly iPhoto, Firefox, iTunes, MS Office, etc.]... reboot every ~30-60 days, depending on what doing, if going somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 11:06 PM
 
2,528 posts, read 1,918,889 times
Reputation: 1222
I reboot (typically) once per year. Though it's not a reboot. It's an annual reformat and reinstall of data just so I can keep everything nice and clean, and it forces me to go through my folders to purge things I don't need anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 12:16 AM
 
1,496 posts, read 1,211,304 times
Reputation: 732
Don't use it ,I will shut it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 AM
 
11,728 posts, read 23,002,360 times
Reputation: 7060
My main desktop PC (Win7) stays on 24/7. I don't let it go to sleep, only the monitors sleep. I probably reboot on average every 4-6 weeks, mainly because of Windows updates. If the updates don't look too serious, I'll put off rebooting but eventually give in. I've been rebooting more than normal lately because we've had some power outages. There's nothing like being on battery, initiating a shut down, seeing "Installing update 1 of 17", and hoping the battery holds out long enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Log "cabin" west of Bangor
2,958 posts, read 3,177,124 times
Reputation: 2505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I reboot (typically) once per year. Though it's not a reboot. It's an annual reformat and reinstall of data just so I can keep everything nice and clean, and it forces me to go through my folders to purge things I don't need anymore.
I've never had to reformat and re-install. I have one machine that has gone through so many hardware and software upgrades (from Dos 3.3) that it no longer even remotely resembles what it started as. The only clean installs were one partition that got OS/2 Warp sometime in the late '90s and one that got Linux a few years later. The MS OS was successively upgraded from the various DOSes to Win95, then 98 (where I stopped with 98SE).

The worst problem I had was when I munged the partition tables due to inconsistencies between the MS fdisk, Linux fdisk, OS2 fdisk and Partition Magic when creating partitions for the non-MS OSes. Even *then* I didn't reformat and re-install, I rebuilt the tables with a hex editor.

I still don't get why so many people seem to think that it's necessary to reformat and re-install to "keep everything clean".

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
My main desktop PC (Win7) stays on 24/7. I don't let it go to sleep, only the monitors sleep. I probably reboot on average every 4-6 weeks, mainly because of Windows updates. If the updates don't look too serious, I'll put off rebooting but eventually give in. I've been rebooting more than normal lately because we've had some power outages. There's nothing like being on battery, initiating a shut down, seeing "Installing update 1 of 17", and hoping the battery holds out long enough.
I don't do 'updates' unless something is broke and needs to be fixed, and none of my machines are ever allowed to do 'automatic' updates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 09:59 PM
 
2,528 posts, read 1,918,889 times
Reputation: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I've never had to reformat and re-install. I have one machine that has gone through so many hardware and software upgrades (from Dos 3.3) that it no longer even remotely resembles what it started as. The only clean installs were one partition that got OS/2 Warp sometime in the late '90s and one that got Linux a few years later. The MS OS was successively upgraded from the various DOSes to Win95, then 98 (where I stopped with 98SE).

The worst problem I had was when I munged the partition tables due to inconsistencies between the MS fdisk, Linux fdisk, OS2 fdisk and Partition Magic when creating partitions for the non-MS OSes. Even *then* I didn't reformat and re-install, I rebuilt the tables with a hex editor.

I still don't get why so many people seem to think that it's necessary to reformat and re-install to "keep everything clean".
I never said it was necessary. If you read my post, you'll see that I was simply pointing out that it cleans things up and forces me to go through my folders. If I'm not reformatting, I can't build up the motivation to go through the stuff. It's amazing the amount of crap one accumulates over the course of a year that just sits idle on your drives. I do the reformat because it cleans up leftover and hidden registry files (think entries that are put in when you install 30 day trials of software and then remove the software), etc. It doesn't take very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Away
202 posts, read 436,772 times
Reputation: 187
I leave my machine on 24-7. I only reboot if I install something that requires a reboot, or every now and then when I get an occasional PC lock-up, which isn't too often. I have my monitors set to turn off after 20 minutes, and my computer goes to sleep in 2 hours of non use.

I only turn off my PC when I'm gone overnight. I am on Windows 7 now, but I did this with Windows XP as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 12:06 AM
 
7,714 posts, read 2,540,991 times
Reputation: 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish
For years I have turned off at night and booted up in the morning.
Thats what i do (Shutdown when im not using it)

Do you leave you stove on when not in use?

Do you leave the water running when not using it?

Why waste resources leavung your computer on 24/7 FOR NO REASON??

You should respect your computer and not take advantage of it by leaving it running constantly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top