U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2011, 12:18 AM
 
1,779 posts, read 1,278,662 times
Reputation: 575
Default hard drive has no drives C, D, E...

Ok, so I was trying to do a windows 7 reinstall and it stopped working within 5 min. Now, when I try to find a partition to install it on, it cant find any. I have checked. My hard drive is wipped clean. There are no drives on it. What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2011, 01:17 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
1,657 posts, read 2,476,976 times
Reputation: 836
Did you contact your computer vendor? You said it was a reinstall?

Technically, in Windows shell (aka, old dos black screen lingo- fdisk) you need to partition your hard drive and and then do a low level format of at least one partition to accept the operating system information being written to it. This low level formatting is where the hardware BIOS assigns the disk drive a letter. You may already know this.

My point: the Windows 7 installing media, should do this basic partitioning and formatting of the basic partition during the installing process, and at about the 5 minute point, it should then start to transfer the operating system to your newly formatted partition which your BIOS should be calling the C:/ drive. Again you may already know this.

It gets complicated when the medium you are reinstalling from is on a hidden partition on your sole and single hard drive (you're not installing from a bootable CD or DVD.) It is possible in the re-installing process to delete the re-installing hidden partition where the Microsoft OS installing software is compressed. If that is the case, you must contact your Vendor for a replacement Microsoft DVD (if your vendor user-support provides them) or go buy a boxed edition of Windows 7 out of your own pocket (being extra positive sure the box you buy includes installing media.) Sometimes, your computer has a sticker for the Windows 7 long license string of letters and numbers, so all you need is the installing DVD media.

If you are so inclined, you could always try a Linux distribution which are free for downloading, or a few dollars for a bootable installing DVD. (About 100 different distributions, I can send you a link by DM.) Way big learning curve to get your computer up and operating. Not for the faint of heart.

******************** be aware **************
The above presumes, of course, that the original problem you were trying to fix with re-installing wasn't a bad hard drive. If your hard drive is failing, and your BIOS setup doesn't recognize your system has a hard drive installed, you will get the same no C:\ drive error. Once again, you may already know this. You should boot to setup, and check the hard drive is installed and the BIOS can see it.

Good luck. Maybe someone else can offer help on this City-Data site, but you should seek out help from your computer vendor's help desk.

Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 07:32 AM
 
Location: NH
6,415 posts, read 7,908,416 times
Reputation: 4553
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Technically, in Windows shell (aka, old dos black screen lingo- fdisk) you need to partition your hard drive and and then do a low level format of at least one partition to accept the operating system information being written to it. This low level formatting is where the hardware BIOS assigns the disk drive a letter. You may already know this.
First, this is not required, hasn't been since at least Win2k, second, that was not a low level format.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 07:33 AM
 
Location: NH
6,415 posts, read 7,908,416 times
Reputation: 4553
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
Ok, so I was trying to do a windows 7 reinstall and it stopped working within 5 min. Now, when I try to find a partition to install it on, it cant find any. I have checked. My hard drive is wipped clean. There are no drives on it. What can I do?
We need more info, make/model of PC, type of installation media your using, why did you feel the need for a reinstall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 11:14 AM
 
1,779 posts, read 1,278,662 times
Reputation: 575
It is a HP g71 329wm. 64bit I have tried windows 7, vista, xp and even ubuntu. No operating system works. It needed a reinstall because the drives were corrupt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 11:27 AM
 
18,733 posts, read 20,510,302 times
Reputation: 26287
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
It is a HP g71 329wm. 64bit I have tried windows 7, vista, xp and even ubuntu. No operating system works. It needed a reinstall because the drives were corrupt.
Um....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 06:41 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
5,130 posts, read 5,583,691 times
Reputation: 4080
If the drive had not mechanically failed, if it was just the mbr and no OS you tried you tried was successful to re-partition or re-format it, you might want to give Ultimate Boot CD a shot. Try running a low level format (zero write) if all else fails.

I would also recommend visiting the drive's manufacturer's web site as almost all brand name drive manufacturer has free disk tools to do almost any maintenance work on a disk.

For example: MaxBlast5 for Maxtor drives. Seagate took over Maxtor but still, if you have a Maxtor drive use MaxBlast. If you have some other brand, then visit manufacturer's web site and search for free drive tools under "support" section.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 11:07 PM
 
1,779 posts, read 1,278,662 times
Reputation: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
If the drive had not mechanically failed, if it was just the mbr and no OS you tried you tried was successful to re-partition or re-format it, you might want to give Ultimate Boot CD a shot. Try running a low level format (zero write) if all else fails.

I would also recommend visiting the drive's manufacturer's web site as almost all brand name drive manufacturer has free disk tools to do almost any maintenance work on a disk.

For example: MaxBlast5 for Maxtor drives. Seagate took over Maxtor but still, if you have a Maxtor drive use MaxBlast. If you have some other brand, then visit manufacturer's web site and search for free drive tools under "support" section.

Good luck.
What download should I get on the ultimate boot cd site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 01:39 PM
 
Location: NH
6,415 posts, read 7,908,416 times
Reputation: 4553
Take the side cover off the PC and determine the brand of the hard drive, then post back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 04:18 PM
 
14,986 posts, read 8,161,160 times
Reputation: 6589
I wonder if POST even sees any drives.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top