U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:50 PM

1,502 posts, read 6,797,115 times

Advertisements

I went to Best Buy to buy a laptop because the price was right. I only want it in addition to my desk top mainly for internet. It has the Vista home edition premium and the guy says it does not come with any security and wanted me to pay another $150.00 for it. I know that they have the antivirus for $39.00 but he didn't even mention it. He also stated if I bought something out of a box that it would run the same amount of money and I'd have to install it.

My question is, does it have anything? From what I could find at microsoft it does look like it has firewall and such. Any information will be helpful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 01:41 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,404,679 times
Okay, you can get FREE antivirus and a free firewall for VISTA...do NOT let them hornswaggle you!!!!

Go to Majorgeeks and check out Zone Alarm Free for Vista
For antivirus you have two options:
Avast Home and Professional v4.7.942(32/64-bit
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition v7.5.463 (32/64-bit) by Grisoft.

Liz

Old 07-18-2007, 01:48 PM

1,502 posts, read 6,797,115 times
Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that they were just trying to sell me more than I need. yesterday, I was there and they wanted me to upgrade the memory for $150. I have never dealt with them on these types of items. I have purchased appliances there and never had a hassle.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:49 PM

284 posts, read 1,574,447 times
I would not recommend having a computer online without protection. Check out CNET.com for their reviews of different security programs. They also have a section for free downloads if you choose to go that route. Don't let the guy at the store scare you. There are cheaper options, and now that Vista has been out for a little bit, companies have made patches for many of their existing programs and have programs that are already compatible with Vista. CNET should even have info on compatability with Vista.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:08 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,215,393 times
I also bought a laptop with the home premium ed. This is back in feb so If I remember correctly, it came with a free 90 day (?) trial of Windows live one care security. When that expired, it took me directly to the microsoft site to download from a choice of free protection. Most of those were trial memberships.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:14 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,404,679 times
Quote:
I would not recommend having a computer online without protection. Check out CNET.com for their reviews of different security programs. They also have a section for free downloads if you choose to go that route.
She already has a desktop. She can download the security to her desktop and then put it on a cd and run it to her laptop.

I always suggest Majorgeeks since I have got a virus downloading Spybot on CNET (Download.com)

Janipoo, depends on how much memory was on the machine in question. Vista WILL run with 1 gig but runs BEST with 2 gig. So more memory may well be a good idea. Liz

Old 07-18-2007, 05:30 PM

14,931 posts, read 22,817,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
She already has a desktop. She can download the security to her desktop and then put it on a cd and run it to her laptop.

I always suggest Majorgeeks since I have got a virus downloading Spybot on CNET (Download.com)

Janipoo, depends on how much memory was on the machine in question. Vista WILL run with 1 gig but runs BEST with 2 gig. So more memory may well be a good idea. Liz
Upgrading the RAM is about the cheapest and best way to speed up your computer. If 150.00 will get you 2 gig, I'd do it.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:58 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,071,340 times
Hmm, if I were you, I wouldn't buy a computer from BB. They've got all the old stuff. I went to Fry's a few days ago and bought a new laptop there. They had such a variety - all the new stuff - and the sales people seemed pretty knowledgeable. Most of them anyway.

So the new laptop I got has Vista Home Edition. I thought the whole point of Vista was because it was more secure, no? Anyway, I had Norton already on my laptop. I don't know if that is a Vista thing or a Sony Vaio thing. There's also a 30day trial of Webroot or something for anti-spyware.

Vista is annoying in that it has TOO much protection, IMO. I get asked "Are you SURE you want to do this?" for every little thing I do. I guess you just have to get used to it, which actually I think I have.

Some of my software cannot be installed on Vista so you may want to look into that. I actually had to call tech support for one of my printers. Luckily my other - crappy - printer had no problems.

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2007, 12:56 AM

5,775 posts, read 12,433,681 times
Foma, my shiny new HP printer won't work with vista either. Maybe someday they'll straighten out the code.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:02 AM

4,270 posts, read 14,071,340 times
Squarepeg - I was able to get updated drivers/software through HP tech support online. Everything is good now. Have you tried going online for help? That would totally suck not to have a working printer!! I feel for ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers