Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,629,642 times

Advertisements

When we go to log on to our laptops (both of them have the issue), error msg says 'INTERNET EXPLORER CANNOT DISPLAY THE PAGE'.

Also, while we are trying to sign on to laptops, the RED laptop icon is flashing on the router itself. Checked and there are NO cords disconnected from the router. All intact.

When I pulled out the cpu, the actual cord going FROM the router's port called 'WIRED', and going into the cpu is also intact. BUT, ON THE CPU RIGHT ABOVE/NEXT TO, THIS PORT, THERE IS A YELLOW FLASHING LIGHT.

Please help! What does this mean?
Could our router be bad? Or is the yellow flashing light meaning something is wrong with the cpu port??

Again, all cords are intact and pushed all the way in. This router is less than a year old. And worked fine yesterday. However, when my son went to log on to his laptop last night, is when this 'new' issue arose. Out of the blue. I then checked my laptop, same thing. Couldn't log on. Same error msg as in first para.

Btw, our router is password protected.....

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Can you reset the router and reset your security configuration? Might be easier than troubleshooting.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Can you reset the router and reset your security configuration? Might be easier than troubleshooting.
I did reset the router once. And the cpu. Light is still on. ????

How do I reset the security configuration? Would that be causing the yellow/orange flashing light by the router cord insertion port on my cpu?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:48 AM

563 posts, read 929,540 times
Does the cpu (I'm assuming it's a desktop) connect to the internet?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM

573 posts, read 970,669 times
first of all you have to isolate the problem

Do you have a cable modem/wifi router all in one or is the cable modem and router separate devices?

See if you can ping other devices on your home network such as other computers or network printers. To find out the ip addresses of a windows computer you can type ipconfig at a command prompt.

If you can ping other computers this could indicate a provider issue

If you have separate cable modem and router then they each have their own ip address and very likely their own configuration web page

The default address for a router is normally 192.168.1.1 See if you can ping this and also see if you can bring up the configuration web page at this address.

The cable modem will normally have two addresses associated with it, the wan address and the local area network address (normally something like 192.*.*.*) and it will also have lights to indicate whether or not the cable modem is operating normally.

Make sure you check the wiring coming into your house if it is accessible. A severe storm could have caused problems. Also check to make sure all the cables are connected properly.

Also don't put much faith in the lights on a RJ45 jack as they will normally light up whether or not there is a problem. On simple home routers, pinging will give you a better indication of the problem.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post
Does the cpu (I'm assuming it's a desktop) connect to the internet?
Yep, on it right now. No issues.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
first of all you have to isolate the problem

Do you have a cable modem/wifi router all in one or is the cable modem and router separate devices? Separate cable modem, separate router.

See if you can ping other devices on your home network such as other computers or network printers. To find out the ip addresses of a windows computer you can type ipconfig at a command prompt. The only wireless machinery we have are the 2 laptops which are not working. No way to 'ping'....and don't even think I know how to 'ping' if I wanted to.

If you can ping other computers this could indicate a provider issue. For what it's worth, the computer that I am on city-data typing on, a desktop, is working just fine. As you can see. NO problems with the desktop that the router is working off of. No problems with our tv cable either as we have cable/dsl service for internet.

If you have separate cable modem and router then they each have their own ip address and very likely their own configuration web page.

The default address for a router is normally 192.168.1.1 See if you can ping this and also see if you can bring up the configuration web page at this address.

The cable modem will normally have two addresses associated with it, the wan address and the local area network address (normally something like 192.*.*.*) and it will also have lights to indicate whether or not the cable modem is operating normally.

Make sure you check the wiring coming into your house if it is accessible. A severe storm could have caused problems. Also check to make sure all the cables are connected properly. Wiring is working fine apparently as I am on the desktop with the same wiring. NO problems. It seems to be a router/laptop issue.

Also don't put much faith in the lights on a RJ45 jack as they will normally light up whether or not there is a problem. On simple home routers, pinging will give you a better indication of the problem. So you're saying the fact that the orange jack light is lit up and flashing means nothing? But, it doesn't normally flash when laptops are working. Now they're not working and light is on. Also, on the laptop, you know those 'step-like' bars on the bottom right task bar that you can log onto wireless with? Well, instead of it being 'green', it has a yellow exclamation mark on top of it, like it's broken.
See above in red.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:09 AM

Just did a Windows Network Diagnostics on laptop.
Here is the message I got:

Investigate router or other access point issues

and then:

Problem with wireless adapter or access point

Old 02-09-2011, 11:19 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,165,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
Yep, on it right now. No issues.
Try plugging your laptop directly into the router. If it works, then there's a problem with the router's wireless. If it doesn't work, it's a problem with the laptop.

Even if it's both laptops having an issue, it also wouldn't hurt to test their wireless against another wireless router.

If you could provide the router's make and model, I'm pretty sure somebody here could walk you through the steps to track the issue. BTW, if you purchased the router from your ISP, they may have a technical team available that you can call and get personalized support from.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:33 AM

573 posts, read 970,669 times
From what I have been able to determine, you have 3 devices on your home network, two laptops and one desktop. the desktop is a wired connection and the laptops are using wireless connections.

To check wireless on the laptops see if they can detect other wireless networks.

but it seems to me that there is a problem with the wireless portion of the router.

It could be something interfering with the signal like cordless home phones, or this part of the router could be bad and the entire router needs to be replaced.

Try powering down the router for at least 30 full seconds (unplug the power cord from the wall). Then plug it back in and see if that helps. In my experience routers need to be rebooted at least once a year.

Useful things to know to diagnose network problems
To ping on a windows computer:

go to start button | run and type cmd and press enter. This is the command prompt

type ping and an address in the form of 192.168.1.1 (this is the default router address for local area networks)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers