U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 01:33 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,167,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
The difference being, Apple licensed the tech from Xerox, MS stole it from Apple, but Apple shouldn't have just given access to the code away to its software vendor.

At any rate, the party's over gang - everyone save the tech nerds left this thread a long time ago. Turn off the lights and go home.
There's a lot of crap about Apple did this and Microsoft did that. The reality is that Apple and Microsoft both brought significant innovations to the table. Who knows if Apple would have even survived if they didn't hire Bill Gates/MS to program for them... Apple lost most of their loyal hobbyists at one point, remember? Also, who knows if MS would have been broken up into a bunch of different companies if Apple hadn't provided them real competition as of late... They have an interesting interdependant relationship throughout the years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 09:22 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,736,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You'd be surprised the number of Camry's I've seen at the race track. When TRD made a supercharger package for the older model, there were quite a few of them putzing around. Also, they are incredibly good bracket racers. (FWIW, cars/transportation is my business, so I am rather intimately familiar with those cars.)

So, basically the guy with the Lexus gets to stroke his ego a little more and marvel at the attention to detail in his car while sipping latte at the service center. However, in all measurable aspects his car performs just as well as the Camry and he's equally screwed when his accelerator gets stuck under the floormat.
You are right about that. It's the same with the GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe/Suburban and the Cadillac Escalade. The Escalade is just nothin' but a Taho/Suburban.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:56 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,912,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's a lot of crap about Apple did this and Microsoft did that. The reality is that Apple and Microsoft both brought significant innovations to the table. Who knows if Apple would have even survived if they didn't hire Bill Gates/MS to program for them... Apple lost most of their loyal hobbyists at one point, remember? Also, who knows if MS would have been broken up into a bunch of different companies if Apple hadn't provided them real competition as of late... They have an interesting interdependant relationship throughout the years.
I've been active in the personal computing world and playing with/evaluating alternative OSes and applications for couple of decades now, and Microsoft has typically been well behind on the innovation curve in the OS, UI, and application spaces.

It makes far more sense for them, as the market leader, to let others take the risks, and then simply copy or outright buy the tech.

They've done that a lot more than many people suspect, I think.

I can think of some innovations from Apple. Most of the stuff I'm aware of from Microsoft was done by someone else, or is a reimplementation of older ideas in other contexts.

Are you actually aware of exceptions to that rule? If so, could you cite one?

(There are some, but most of the things I've seen commonly mentioned were actually developed elsewhere).

Not to pick on you, or Microsoft, but I think putting them with Apple (or IBM, Xerox, or a number of other companies) in terms of "innovation" is a bit of a stretch.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:10 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,736,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I've been active in the personal computing world and playing with/evaluating alternative OSes and applications for couple of decades now, and Microsoft has typically been well behind on the innovation curve in the OS, UI, and application spaces.

It makes far more sense for them, as the market leader, to let others take the risks, and then simply copy or outright buy the tech.

I can think of some innovations from Apple. Most of the stuff I'm aware of from Microsoft was done by someone else, or is a reimplementation of older ideas in other contexts.

(There are some, but most of the things I've seen commonly mentioned were actually developed elsewhere).

Not to pick on you, or Microsoft, but I think putting them with Apple (or IBM, Xerox, or a number of other companies) in terms of "innovation" is a bit of a stretch.
In that case, keep in mind that Apple was not the first to have an MP3 player. It was another company that came up with that idea. My point is that Apple(just like other companies) do copy-cat what others had done(or doing).

Old 03-08-2011, 07:43 AM

3,065 posts, read 3,699,237 times
Quote:

Really? I can't think of a single "innovation" Apple has made or invented since the Newton.

mp3 players? Beaten to the punch.
iTunes? Looked an awful lot like Napster, and Napster went to a pay model first
iPhone? Blackberry, Palm, even Microsoft were first on the scene in the smartphone market, and even the Android was being developed before the iPhone - Apple simply got theirs out to market before Google.
Tablets? Been around forever, though again, there was the Newton...for what that matters, since it was from before most people even knew what the internet was.
iMacs? Nope.
They're widely credited with inventing the mouse, but Xerox actually did it.

The extent of Apple's innovation is that they can take decade-old technology and outdated hardware, clean it up, streamline it and make it easy to use....and then launch a huge marketing campaign to try and convince the world they invented it. They're no more innovative than Microsoft. Less so, if you want to get right down to it. Microsoft at least has some specialty software under its belt that they were the first to create.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 AM

3,743 posts, read 10,940,661 times
Its not that Apple invents things, its that it makes them work and makes them easy to use. Its more than being a copy cat, its being innovative, and that is why the rest of the industry is always playing catch up and can't seem to get ahead - they fail to be innovative while they are also copying.

Xerox sat on the mouse for years and ignored it. Apple saw the potential and licensed it from Xerox. Its one thing to have a good idea, its another to implement it, and that is where Apple typically excels where others fail.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:13 PM

5,798 posts, read 5,243,934 times
I just left an Apple store a couple of hours ago while pondering which of their products to buy, and I was told that you can print from an I-Pad using either a wired or wireless printer; the term 'Apple Airprint' was never mentioned to me, so could someone please explain to me what that is?

Thanks!

I'm straddling the fence between their $1,199.00 13-inch MacBook Pro, or spending $699.00 for a MacMini, and then buying a printer and monitor, or possibly a 24-27inch HDTV, hopefully with 1080p as opposed to 720p (not sure if anybody makes one that small with 1080p) from somebody else.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:43 PM

5,793 posts, read 10,639,911 times
Go for the 27 inch iMac. They are semi-portable, especially with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 PM

8,567 posts, read 9,340,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
What or which is better?
A Mac is like your mom telling you how to behave and how to treat a girl with respect.

A PC is like your dad taking you to a bar and showing you how the world really turns and how to get that girl 'happy'.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:39 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,167,001 times
Quote:

Seriously? FP compiler. Enough said. Bill Gates programmed that himself! Microsoft helped Apple be a serious competitor against IBM. Even Steve Jobs said that he couldn't find any capable programmers that would get anything useful done and Bill probably saved a significant delay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or