U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 PM
 
Location: USA
700 posts, read 955,635 times
Reputation: 648

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yup. I use PCs because it's not worth my time to relearn another system. I've tried, and can use Macs fine, but I find myself having to use the mouse more than just for browsing the web. Ugh, mice, what a horrible device.
And I'm the other way, finding the Mac trackpad much better than anything I've used on the Windows platform. I don't need a mouse on the Mac but do need it on the Windows machines cause their trackpad is not as good.

My 6-year old Powerbook G4 15 operates much better and has less irritating problems than my wife's 1 year old office-issued Dell Vostro 15 inch.

I needed to install Synaptic on the Dell to mimic the functionality of the two-fingered scrolling that's excellent on the Mac. My wife still hates it and bought a mouse for the Dell. It's amazing how she flies though her work using the trackpad on my Mac, but needs the mouse when she's on on her Dell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2011, 01:31 PM
 
14,777 posts, read 34,663,988 times
Reputation: 14281
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
And I'm the other way, finding the Mac trackpad much better than anything I've used on the Windows platform. I don't need a mouse on the Mac but do need it on the Windows machines cause their trackpad is not as good.

My 6-year old Powerbook G4 15 operates much better and has less irritating problems than my wife's 1 year old office-issued Dell Vostro 15 inch.

I needed to install Synaptic on the Dell to mimic the functionality of the two-fingered scrolling that's excellent on the Mac. My wife still hates it and bought a mouse for the Dell. It's amazing how she flies though her work using the trackpad on my Mac, but needs the mouse when she's on on her Dell.
lol, I do have to agree with you guys on this one. Apple has the touch/trackpad stuff done right. I HATE working on laptops without a mouse, but my sisters MacBook was very intuitive and easy to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 01:41 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,267,489 times
Reputation: 12788
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
And I'm the other way, finding the Mac trackpad much better than anything I've used on the Windows platform. I don't need a mouse on the Mac but do need it on the Windows machines cause their trackpad is not as good.

My 6-year old Powerbook G4 15 operates much better and has less irritating problems than my wife's 1 year old office-issued Dell Vostro 15 inch.

I needed to install Synaptic on the Dell to mimic the functionality of the two-fingered scrolling that's excellent on the Mac. My wife still hates it and bought a mouse for the Dell. It's amazing how she flies though her work using the trackpad on my Mac, but needs the mouse when she's on on her Dell.
Trackpads/touchpads (on both pc and mac) are worse than mice imo. Hate them both. I mean, I understand the usefulness of a mouse when doing graphics or gaming, but most of the time, the average user isn't doing that. On laptops, when I have to, I use trackpoints. Much more accuracy. But, I try to stick to the keyboard whenever possible, for the preference of speed.

Studies have shown that the pointing device is much slower than keyboard shortcuts. And when you sit down and actually do it yourself, you realize this really quickly. 10 fingers will always be faster than one wrist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 01:43 PM
 
Location: USA
700 posts, read 955,635 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You'd be surprised the number of Camry's I've seen at the race track. When TRD made a supercharger package for the older model, there were quite a few of them putzing around. Also, they are incredibly good bracket racers. (FWIW, cars/transportation is my business, so I am rather intimately familiar with those cars.)

So, basically the guy with the Lexus gets to stroke his ego a little more and marvel at the attention to detail in his car while sipping latte at the service center. However, in all measurable aspects his car performs just as well as the Camry and he's equally screwed when his accelerator gets stuck under the floormat.
I did not know that. The Camry is the last car I thought I'd see on the racetrack. Thanks for the info. Gotta look more into it. Reps for you.

I think you missed the point about: for basically the same amount of money, you can get the Lexus ES instead of the Camry.

But hey, if you prefer to buy an E-machine instead of a Dell/Toshiba/Lenovo for the same amount of money and feature set, ..... have a day ... knock yourself out with that one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 01:53 PM
 
Location: USA
700 posts, read 955,635 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Trackpads/touchpads (on both pc and mac) are worse than mice imo. Hate them both. I mean, I understand the usefulness of a mouse when doing graphics or gaming, but most of the time, the average user isn't doing that. On laptops, when I have to, I use trackpoints. Much more accuracy. But, I try to stick to the keyboard whenever possible, for the preference of speed.

Studies have shown that the pointing device is much slower than keyboard shortcuts. And when you sit down and actually do it yourself, you realize this really quickly. 10 fingers will always be faster than one wrist.
Agreed. Keystrokes are much faster. I'm actually a command-line guy, working on mainframe and unix programs.

Oh crap, specs are done. Gotta get back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 01:59 PM
 
Location: USA
700 posts, read 955,635 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
...My computer can do anything your computer can do...but BETTER.
Try developing apps for the IPhone or Ipad market on your Windows machine. ok. just stick with Android based phones and pads. It might become a bigger market anyway.

just busting your chops

ok. enough of this Mac vs. PC crap. Get back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 02:22 PM
 
14,777 posts, read 34,663,988 times
Reputation: 14281
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
I did not know that. The Camry is the last car I thought I'd see on the racetrack. Thanks for the info. Gotta look more into it. Reps for you.

I think you missed the point about: for basically the same amount of money, you can get the Lexus ES instead of the Camry.

But hey, if you prefer to buy an E-machine instead of a Dell/Toshiba/Lenovo for the same amount of money and feature set, ..... have a day ... knock yourself out with that one!
I really don't have any skin in this game. I build a new PC for my wife and I every couple years and hand the old one down to the kids. I guess I just like to amuse myself by arguing in circles with people on the internet.

This whole thing really centers around arguments a few of us were having with KaaBoom on another even longer Mac vs. PC thread. He denied the existence of the price differential, claimed Apple makes all their own parts and that Apple products have a 1% failure rate. It really was quite amusing.

If anybody asked me which one to buy, it would all come down to telling them to try both and see which one they preferred. If they were on a budget, as most are, and just want to surf the web and check e-mail I have a hard time recommending a Mac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Mayacama Mtns in CA
14,523 posts, read 7,384,508 times
Reputation: 11302
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
. . . If they were on a budget, as most are, and just want to surf the web and check e-mail I have a hard time recommending a Mac.
Even the top iPad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,481,083 times
Reputation: 7703
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Oy...well, I'll take the larger screen and burden myself with the extra 2 pounds. That 2 pounds will be tough seeing as I'm also lugging around an extra $420 in my pocket...
You are in the minority. Netbooks on both the PC and the Mac side are one of the fastest growing segments of the computer market.


Netbook Market Share Skyrocketing - 2009-09-01 17:35:20 | TWICE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,184 posts, read 27,556,229 times
Reputation: 11842
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Trackpads/touchpads (on both pc and mac) are worse than mice imo. Hate them both. I mean, I understand the usefulness of a mouse when doing graphics or gaming, but most of the time, the average user isn't doing that. On laptops, when I have to, I use trackpoints. Much more accuracy. But, I try to stick to the keyboard whenever possible, for the preference of speed.

Studies have shown that the pointing device is much slower than keyboard shortcuts. And when you sit down and actually do it yourself, you realize this really quickly. 10 fingers will always be faster than one wrist.
Not when it comes to photography, drawing, and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top