Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
What or which is better?
Both Mac and "PC" are computers and both use pretty much the exact same hardware these days. What you are buying is a brand/company and an operating system (though a Mac can run Windows and a "PC" can run Mac OS, though running Mac OS on a "PC" isn't legal).

So, IMO for the normal user it all comes down to what you prefer and what your pocketbook can handle. At just about any performance point the "PC" option (of which there are dozens of brands) is significantly cheaper than the Mac option. Where Mac excels is customer support and service and arguably the better "regular" user operating system.

So, it all comes down to what you need/want. If you want top notch customer service and access to the "genius bar" and prefer Mac's OS, then go that route. If you want to do everything a Mac can do for about half the price, but have to deal with worse customer service, than buy the PC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Got my popcorn now.

Let's watch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Have enough for me?
I'm starting a second batch. I'll make it a double. Extra butter?

Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 AM

6,775 posts, read 9,332,326 times
I use a Mac at home and a PC at work and generally prefer the Mac operating system. I wish I could use it at work, too.

Otherwise, all of the software I use is available on both platforms.

Try both OSs and see which one you like more.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:25 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Ahhh the old and never ending Mac vs. PC debate.

<gets out deck chair and sits down with some popcorn>

My only comment is to say you have huge selection of software and hardware to choose from with PC. For example I do a lot of video work, there is free tools for just about anything. Used to be humorous on the video forum I'm a member of reading posts for those on the Mac platform struggling with simple tasks. That's not say Mac doesn't have these capabilities, there's some great video tools for the Mac like Final Cut Pro but that's some major cash. I'm talking about free stuff.
Ah, and old ideas about Macs

There is plenty of software for both the PC and Mac, a lot of which is compatible with both (a version for each platform is included in the DVD). For basic video, photo, music, word processing, new Macs already have these applications installed, or you can install the ones you want from the software included with each Mac.

There is a lot more PC software, however, including free stuff, but there also is a lot more spyware and malware floating around in these free stuff. You don't have to use Final Cut Pro unless you are a professional editor, and there are several applications made by Roxio, Adobe, etc., you can use.

Both the PC and Mac use pretty much the same hardware, except that Apple guards its hardware like a hawk. For example, you can't just replace the motherboard with a non-Apple one. But the rest is up to you. For example, when you go to Sam's Club or any other store and look at the external hard drives, you will see the PC and Mac symbols on the label. Just connect the drive to a Mac, and the computer automatically recognizes and displays it on the screen. The same for cameras and everything else.

Most PC's are cheaper than Macs, except as follows: Choose a high quality PC and place it next to a Mac, and both cost nearly the same, and will probably last just as long. But there aren't low quality Macs to compare to low quality PCs. And since the cheap PCs seldom last very long, I would recommend to buy either a top quality PC, or just two cheap PCs so the second one can be the spare one once the other breaks down.

I am not kidding. If you want the best PC, be prepared to pay big bucks. That's why some of us build our own PC's from scratch (for quality), but this is not cheap.

B&H as well as several other stores sell photo/video editing machines (PCs and Macs). These are PCs (below):
http://www.google.com/search?client=...84835c70814d2f

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-14-2011 at 09:56 PM..

Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
PC Computers are better: more software available, less expensive, almost all hardware works with windows, more power/$, more memory/$, the world runs PCs, more 3rd party suppliers -> more competition - > lower prices and more selection.
Yeah, RIGHT. We all know that "better" = "less expensive". Thats why BMWs cost so much less then Fords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Macs are too popular to be a cult but only around 10% of people use them.
Macs certainly are a cult to many people. Especially old scool Mac users. The ones who were using Macs when they had way less then a 10% share. But to most Mac users now days, it's just a purchase decision. They perceive it (rightfully or wrongfully) to be the best value for their money. They will make the same evaluation the next time they buy a computer.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Just buy a Mac; you'll be happier for it.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:12 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
It's all opinion. Many people who use the computer for basic internet, email, and word processing like the ease and intuitiveness of the Mac OS. Gamers like the wide variety of software and hardware options of the PC.
BINGO. PCs for games. Macs for everything else.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,654,903 times
I'm going to the fridge for another beer. Tek, pass the popcorn.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:47 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
RayinAK and KaaBoom...

We've thrown barbs back and forth about this before, but maybe we can try and keep it civilized this time (mensa and Tek, get more popcorn and beer, lol).

You both state that the cost differential between a PC and Mac is either negligible or that "high quality" PC's cost as much as a Mac. I would like to know what exactly defines "high quality"? Is it based on components? How those components are put together?

I can laboriously list the MSRP of various PC's vs. their Mac counterpart to prove that there is a large price difference, however those often get dismissed. So, what makes a Mac with the exact same hardware as a PC more "high quality". What justifies the increased price?

I'll give it to you that Mac has superior customer service and better warranties than the vast majority of PC builders. I'll even give it to you that they make a more physically attractive product than the majority of PC builders, but all of that amounts to "soft" reasons that have nothing to do with actual performance of the computer.

I get that some people feel that the service, warranty and the OS are worth paying sometimes upwards of $1k more for a Mac, but both of you routinely argue that there is real performance difference, I just don't see it and either do the vast majority of people more than casually familiar with computers.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:13 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Don't take PC advice from a MAC user. they are clueless about them.
Can't you say the same thing about PC users that only think of computers as a sum or the price of the parts, and who wouldn't be caught dead buying a closed system like a Mac? I'm a Windows user, and a Mac user, and find there are people on both sides of the fence that make ridiculous, uneducated arguments for their side all the time. I don't get it since I know of none that actually work for MS or Apple.

Anyone that only thinks in terms of what it costs to buy something isn't thinking about what it costs to use something, and thats more important in the long run.

Sadly, these conversations always go off into the weeds talking about really obscure things like the price of a component, personal freedom to choose component x over what is provided, etc. You can buy a PC for less money than a Mac just like you can buy a Camry for less money than a BMW, or option the Camry to cost the same as a BMW and come with similar equipment. Even with similar equipment, there is an inherent difference still in the experience.

The real value in a Mac is the symbiotic OS and tested hardware environment, plus better UI design and quality control. That is why Apple is the industry leader in critical areas like user satisfaction and quality.

Anti-Mac conversations always fall to price - if that's all you've got, its not a good argument imo. But I am focused on user experience and design, not IT compliance and standards. OP had a very general question, so I'd ask, what are you really looking for, an experience or a piece of hardware?

Last edited by Sayantsi; 02-15-2011 at 11:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers