U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:51 AM

79 posts, read 253,787 times

Advertisements

Will this monitor work on my 1999 computer..?

StarLogic 17" LCD Monitor - Wal-Mart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 05:05 PM

7,562 posts, read 16,558,722 times
yes, but to be honest, you can get a 'good' computer with monitor for about $500.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:06 PM

14 posts, read 91,566 times
Default help

Quote:
Originally Posted by prango View Post
I need to know where to go here on this forum to ask a question about my computer/monitor....

the white on monitor screen is turning colors from white to off pale green, blueish color...flickers back and forth doing this...I need to know if monitor is dying or if my color card is dying...

windows 98
96 mb ram
browser ..IE 6
Gateway computer

Thanks for any help.
Prango
buy a new monitor dont spend on it

Old 07-23-2007, 11:52 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,953,110 times
Hey there... if you are going to be using the same computer and OS, might look at the following:

Smart Computing Article - Optimize Your Windows 98 Display (http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2005/s1601/08s01/08s01.asp&guid= - broken link)
Windows 98 hardware and compatability issues
Microsoft Corporation

Curious - what are your needs for a computer, basic net surfing and games, or any digital photography or ???

Might also look at using FireFox instead of IE - IMHO it is safer, more secure, and faster. Good luck!

Old 07-24-2007, 12:01 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,072,531 times
does Microsoft even support Win98 any more?

Old 07-24-2007, 06:20 AM

4,679 posts, read 10,953,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
does Microsoft even support Win98 any more?
No, they do not.

Heck,,, does MS even support anything???

/end (for now) MS dissing...

Some info that might be of interest:
Microsoft Windows: End of support for Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows XP Service Pack 1 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/support/endofsupport.mspx - broken link)

Microsoft Product Support Life Cycle Extended

Old 07-24-2007, 08:45 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
460 posts, read 2,014,325 times
Default Time to upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by prango View Post
I need to know where to go here on this forum to ask a question about my computer/monitor....

the white on monitor screen is turning colors from white to off pale green, blueish color...flickers back and forth doing this...I need to know if monitor is dying or if my color card is dying...

windows 98
96 mb ram
browser ..IE 6
Gateway computer

Thanks for any help.
Prango
=========

If you tried re-seating the VGA card and you are still experiencing the same problem then its about time to invest in a new monitor. MS does not support Win98 anymore plus Win98 has restricted settings that will not allow you to use an LCD monitor to the fullest.

I'd consider upgrading to maybe WinXP get a new LCD monitor from either Tigerdirect or Newegg and you should be fine for about another 15yrs maybe more. These two online stores normally have sales on monitors every week and you might be able to land a good 17" or 19" monitor for under $100.00

Good Luck

Regards
DaSkorpion

Old 07-24-2007, 11:46 AM

79 posts, read 253,787 times
thanks everybody,....
I have done the manual monitor test, and the monitor is ok...it must be the video card ...I will open up the computer sometime this week and reseat it...it has been cleaned recently, but will clean again while in there.
I am in the process of shopping around for a new computer package..I just don't want to purchase one that is set up with the windows "vista" I have heard a lot of bad rumors about that one....it is sad that they don't support the windows 98 any more, in my oppinion, it is the best one Microsoft came out with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or