Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:48 PM

79 posts, read 277,553 times

Advertisements

I need to know where to go here on this forum to ask a question about my computer/monitor....

the white on monitor screen is turning colors from white to off pale green, blueish color...flickers back and forth doing this...I need to know if monitor is dying or if my color card is dying...

windows 98
96 mb ram
browser ..IE 6
Gateway computer

Thanks for any help.
Prango
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 03:12 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,179 times
Check the connections in the back of the computer where the monitor plugs in. Often times if it is not connected tightly, this will cause such issues we well.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:31 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
I’d power off the monitor and allow it to cool down for a while. Then when turning it back on see if the trouble continues or not. Also there maybe a monitor "selftest" on the monitor menu?

Old 07-22-2007, 07:30 PM

I don't see a "selftest" on the monitor menu...
I turned it off, and unplugged it for about 2 hours, when turning back on, everything seemed ok, until I logged on, then the white went blue again, now it is back to normal white background here again.
My computer and monitor is about 8 years old...so I probably need a new monitor, the thing is, it was just fine last night...
could the video card be going haywire?..

Old 07-22-2007, 08:08 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Sorry to hear that it’s still acting up. However,,,,, you have a valid thought about the video card possibly going out. Is there someone else that you could swap monitors with temporarily? Some of the 2nd hand stores in town have some dirt cheap monitors as well as pc shops. You could try finding something like that. There are lots of monitors that have been replaced with the new flat screens and they’re just sitting around getting dusty.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:20 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Mine does that too because I got mad one day and pulled the cable out of hte back of the monitor. If it is loose it will go Red Green Blue colors etc etc. Try that, ifnot its a vid card problem.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:31 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times
Shutdown and unplug from wall, remove and reseat video card. Clean out the dust and cobwebs while you have it down.....

Old 07-22-2007, 08:38 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,993 times
Have you been installing all driver and software updates over all of these years? I have a feeling it's the monitor but have you ever pulled the side panel and cleaned that puppy out? A whole bunch of dust bunnies get inside the case and can wreak some havoc. Have you had any recent electrical storms and is your equipment protected? The latest storm here just took out my cable modem!

Frankly with an eight year old puter I'd be looking to buy a new one as that is a great run for any computer. I would prefer a new one with XP installed rather than Vista if there are any left out there as I hear many peripherals aren't making whoopie well with Bill's latest and greatest OS. I have an old zip drive and a couple of printers that still work great with XP but wouldn't with Vista.

BTW I'm guessing that it is an onboard vid card as most factory units ship that way??

Old 07-22-2007, 09:39 PM

I can unplug and reseat the video card....vacume the monitor...and I always unplug everything when I see that we are in for bad storms, learned the hard way 3 years ago, when lightning took out my modem.
Yes, onboard vid card, pc came with it...
Oh, well, I guess it is time to shop for a new pc...(like I have alot of money for that , LOL)....

Going to shut her down now,
thanks to everybody, I will return (hopefully) tomorrow.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:35 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Our monitor did the same thing before it went out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers