Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:35 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times

Advertisements

I've been using a laptop and ignoring my 1997-vintage desktop system, but now I've decided to take the plunge and have a local business put together a custom desktop package for me.

I'm definitely not a power user (no gaming, CAD, or anything like that) and would be spending my time on the desktop mostly streaming movies, surfing the Net, and doing word processing. So I'm looking for superior "sight and sound" without all the bells and whistles most users demand.

Here's the suggested package the local shop wants to put together for me. I'd sure appreciate feedback on his choice of components and his pricing!

(Suggested Total Price: $925 plus tax)

Windows 7 Prem 64 bit
1TB (1000 Gig) Hard Drive
4 gigs of DDR 3 Memory (Ram)
Intel Dual-core 2.8Ghz processor
DVD/CD player and DVD/CD writer
All in one mulit card reader (if you have a camera, this will read all of the memory cards so you can move pictures to the camera very easily)
Lan card (Internet) that is a 1000Mbps (gig-abit)
Avast Anti-Virus
I0bit Security 360
Microsoft Office 2007 Professional
3 USB Jacks in the front of the computer and 6 in the back
Surge Protector
Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
Logi-Tech Speaker System
Asus 19" LCD Wide-screen Monitor (3 year Rapid Replacement Warranty)
500 gig Samsung External Hard drive to back up your important documents on your computer
Backup Software of everything installed just in-case we ever have to install anything again
MOST IMPORTANT: 2 year parts & labor warranty and installation of the computer at your house all at no extra cost!

(Oh, and he said he forgot to mention an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier/fax machine for another $80, also free installation.)

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 10:37 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
I've been using a laptop and ignoring my 1997-vintage desktop system, but now I've decided to take the plunge and have a local business put together a custom desktop package for me.
All the hardware+win 7 HP will run you $665, if you really need office pro then bump it up to $880. Nothing really spectacular here hardware-wise, but you are missing a video card. Add another $40-$150 for one.

If you are worried about a HD crash then add an internal RAID drive for the same price as you are paying for a pain in the butt external backup. If you are worried about theft then keep the external, but be prepared to keep it locked away from the computer or it will leave with it.

I linked to all the parts on Newegg. I don't give any value to the warranty. The only time I've used a warranty on a computer part is for dead on arrival parts. I have built over 30 computers (personal, friends, family and friends with a small business). I've never had anything fail within 2 years that wasn't dead within the first week of ownership.

You are getting a decent deal, especially if you need office pro and they are giving you a legitimate copy of it.

For comparison, last week I built a quad core AMD 3.2 machine with 4gb of ram, $70 video card, 1.5TB HD, wireless keyboard + mouse, dvd burner, 600W power supply, Win 7 HP, $100 aluminum case etc. Everything including the software ran me $700 plus another $100 for your monitor. This machine would beat your machine in every benchmark.

Windows 7 Prem 64 bit- $80
1TB (1000 Gig) Hard Drive- $70
4 gigs of DDR 3 Memory (Ram) $42
Intel Dual-core 2.8Ghz processor $51
Motherboard? $45
Power supply? $45
Case? $55
DVD/CD player and DVD/CD writer $18
All in one mulit card reader (if you have a camera, this will read all of the memory cards so you can move pictures to the camera very easily) $33 with LCD display, fan controller and e-SATA
Lan card (Internet) that is a 1000Mbps (gig-abit) $11, but not really necessary because it is built into the motherboard.
Avast Anti-Virus (free, but MS Security Essentials is better IMO)
I0bit Security 360 (see MS Security, free again)
Microsoft Office 2007 Professional - Open office is free, do you really need 2007 professional? $215 otherwise
3 USB Jacks in the front of the computer and 6 in the back $8
Surge Protector $12
Wireless Keyboard and Mouse $35
Logi-Tech Speaker System $15-$80 depending on the model.
Asus 19" LCD Wide-screen Monitor (3 year Rapid Replacement Warranty) $110 LED backlit
500 gig Samsung External Hard drive to back up your important documents on your computer $70, but you could just add another internal terabyte HD and even set it up in RAID to protect all your data for you automatically.
Backup Software of everything installed just in-case we ever have to install anything again Free
MOST IMPORTANT: 2 year parts & labor warranty and installation of the computer at your house all at no extra cost! Built into their cost, so free to compare hardware value.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:55 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
4 gigs of DDR 3 Memory (Ram) - I'd go for 8 today
Intel Dual-core 2.8Ghz processor - What chip? This description is like saying car-4 wheels.
Avast Anti-Virus - Don't bother - use Microsoft Security Essentials
I0bit Security 360 - Don't bother
Microsoft Office 2007 Professional - Why the old version?
Asus 19" LCD Wide-screen Monitor - Why so small?
500 gig Samsung External Hard drive - Why so small?
Backup Software of everything installed just in-case we ever have to install anything again - Does that mean you're getting the original CDs for Windows and Office?
(Oh, and he said he forgot to mention an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier/fax machine for another $80, also free installation.) - Probably complete junk

Old 03-06-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
All the hardware+win 7 HP will run you $665, if you really need office pro then bump it up to $880.
So you don't think the guy building deserves $45 for his effort?

Old 03-06-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Of course I do! I was just adding up the costs for comparison sake.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:04 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
In short, I wouldn't pay that, nor buy from that dealer. He has tacked on a lot of software bloat you don't need.

There are cheaper and better anti-virus solutions than Avast. You don't need the I0bit Security at all. I'm reasonably certain you already have a surge protector in your house collecting dust somewhere, because everybody does, why do you need Office Pro as a simple user? etc. etc. etc.

He's basically adding everything under the sun to make it look like you're obtaining "value", and then charging you a very hefty premium (hundreds of dollars) for spending 30 minutes putting the machine together.

You can go to Dell and get the same machine (with the same warranty) for less money. Or you could go to your local college and find some junior/senior comp. sci student and pay him 50 bucks plus materials to build a machine for you, etc.

The guy who runs that shop is trying to bilk you, and that's not cool. He's trying to take advantage of the fact that you aren't savvy.

Quote:
He's making more than 45 dollars. Much more. Keep in mind that vendors pay less for hardware. Also keep in mind that a lot of the stuff he's going to put in this guy's machine are probably salvage parts that he's just got laying around the shop. Things like the power supply, the processor, etc. will be salvage, in all probability.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Microsoft Office 2007 Professional - Why the old version?
Good point here. If you have a student in the house you can get the 2010 version for $97 or cheaper, if not you can get it for $200-ish.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:21 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times
Well, you guys have reaffirmed my belief that, if I ever need answers on anything technical, this is the sub-forum to go to! I mean, even as a rank layman, I get most of what I've read on your responses.

So let's say I decide to be daring and an informed consumer and build my own system with the excellent advice and tips I have received so far. Let's say I have never ordered from a place like New Egg and I do so and get all these computer components on my own, so I know they're not salvage.

Do I go back to this guy and have him build my system then? Do I choose somebody else if I can't find a college student? (Small town, no kids, no tech-savvy neighbors.) How do I judge a computer-shop owner for getting a system built from scratch the right way and at a decent price?

I'd like to think I can do this as a non-techie dinosaur from the B.C. age. I may be able to start a trend among retired Boomers.

I am so delighted with the help and humbly thank you all for the time and effort you are expending to educate me.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
He's making more than 45 dollars. Much more. Keep in mind that vendors pay less for hardware. Also keep in mind that a lot of the stuff he's going to put in this guy's machine are probably salvage parts that he's just got laying around the shop. Things like the power supply, the processor, etc. will be salvage, in all probability.
Hardware margins are crap. That's why so many small shops like that have gone out of business in the last decade. Unless he's moving truckloads worth of merchandise, he's not paying much less than you'll pay on Newegg. Are you basing this "salvage parts" statement on personal knowledge of this shop or did you just pull that out or your arse?

Old 03-06-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Well, you guys have reaffirmed my belief that, if I ever need answers on anything technical, this is the sub-forum to go to! I mean, even as a rank layman, I get most of what I've read on your responses.

So let's say I decide to be daring and an informed consumer and build my own system with the excellent advice and tips I have received so far. Let's say I have never ordered from a place like New Egg and I do so and get all these computer components on my own, so I know they're not salvage.

Do I go back to this guy and have him build my system then? Do I choose somebody else if I can't find a college student? (Small town, no kids, no tech-savvy neighbors.) How do I judge a computer-shop owner for getting a system built from scratch the right way and at a decent price?

I'd like to think I can do this as a non-techie dinosaur from the B.C. age. I may be able to start a trend among retired Boomers.

I am so delighted with the help and humbly thank you all for the time and effort you are expending to educate me.
Honestly, the hardest part of the experience is choosing good parts. The assembly is actually quite easy. You just need to be careful to properly ground yourself before and during the assembly. Your best resource to help you through it is a working computer with an Internet connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers