U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 02:25 PM

194 posts, read 304,315 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys, I need your help! Please advise me on the best laptop for the price. This will be a gift and the person whom I am buying for is not real tech savvy, so he doesn't need allot of the features that a "geek" would need but still I would like for it to have the everyday "usage' features that are needed. This will be mainly for home but eventually may be used in the field for business. I would prefer a bigger size monitor. Please , if you make a suggestion, don't advise me on one that I will need to purchase add ons to make it comparable as I know absolutely zilch about the inside of a computer.
I need to purchase a laptop that has everything and is ready to plug in.. If I have to purchase anything to upgrade the insides of it then I am "out in the cold"!! I would like to stay in the 500.00 range.

Someone , PLEASE HELP and be Specific, like sending me the link...

Thanks and I will let you know how it goes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 03:59 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,414,358 times
I like my Lenovo. Have had it for a couple years and have had no issues with it at all. The Edge series starts at around 479.00.

Lenovo - Laptop computers - ThinkPad Edge

When it comes to laptops, you can't do too many consumer upgrades. Most things are integrated into the system board. You can do easy things like RAM and the hard drive, though.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:00 PM

563 posts, read 812,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louise50 View Post
Hi Guys, I need your help! Please advise me on the best laptop for the price. This will be a gift and the person whom I am buying for is not real tech savvy, so he doesn't need allot of the features that a "geek" would need but still I would like for it to have the everyday "usage' features that are needed. This will be mainly for home but eventually may be used in the field for business. I would prefer a bigger size monitor. Please , if you make a suggestion, don't advise me on one that I will need to purchase add ons to make it comparable as I know absolutely zilch about the inside of a computer.
I need to purchase a laptop that has everything and is ready to plug in.. If I have to purchase anything to upgrade the insides of it then I am "out in the cold"!! I would like to stay in the 500.00 range.

Someone , PLEASE HELP and be Specific, like sending me the link...

Thanks and I will let you know how it goes!
Bigger monitor and a $500 budget? Go to Walmart, get a Toshiba brand. They're good, and the price will be in your range. Will probably have 3-4 GB Ram, 250+GB HD, decent video, DVD, etc.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:01 PM

28,654 posts, read 40,649,415 times
I keep reading about Costco and their warranty and concierge service and how great it is. Both are mentioned in the reviews of this refurbished laptop. It has the large screen you want, and is $500.

Looks like a one year warranty from HP and a two year warranty from Costco with the Costco concierge service.

Costco - Refurbished HP dv7-4153cl Laptop Turion II P540 2.40GHz ATI HD 4250 Graphics

You might want to call Costco and talk with them about warranty and service if you decide you like this laptop so you're sure what they entail.

As for HP: I own two HP laptops and one Compaq (also HP) laptop and have had zero problems.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:10 PM

10,756 posts, read 18,027,991 times
Get what ever you find a good deal on, any answer you get on any "what is the best" thread is just opinion. With any electronics today it's a crapshoot, you might end up with a lemon, you might never have a single problem, doesn't matter what brand you buy.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:23 PM

53 posts, read 203,987 times
I agree with NHDave...

There is no "best" laptop. For what it's worth, I've been in IT for over 10 years and I can tell you from my own personal experience that I've had great experiences with IBM ThinkPad, now Lenovo, and Toshiba Satellites. Both have held up well and enjoyed a long life as far as tech toy lives go.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:13 PM

3,118 posts, read 3,937,066 times
Every laptop brand has pluses and minuses.

Toshibas are generally solid, but their horrible cooling placement leaves the machines subject to severe overheating issues.
Sony's are fast as lightning, but fragile as glass
HP's are fairly durable and come with a lot of features and great displays, but aren't known for their power
Dell's are cheap
IBM's are rock steady but uninspiring.

On balance, I tend to lean towards HP's and Sony's.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:20 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,194,592 times
IBM doesn't make laptops anymore. Sold the line to Lenovo (an organization with (questionable) ties to People's Liberation Army of China)

Old 03-09-2011, 07:33 PM

1,824 posts, read 4,644,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I keep reading about Costco and their warranty and concierge service and how great it is. Both are mentioned in the reviews of this refurbished laptop. It has the large screen you want, and is $500.

Looks like a one year warranty from HP and a two year warranty from Costco with the Costco concierge service.

Costco - Refurbished HP dv7-4153cl Laptop Turion II P540 2.40GHz ATI HD 4250 Graphics

You might want to call Costco and talk with them about warranty and service if you decide you like this laptop so you're sure what they entail.

As for HP: I own two HP laptops and one Compaq (also HP) laptop and have had zero problems.
I like this option. I've had a much better experience with my HP Laptops than I did with my Dell laptops. The Costco extra year of warranty makes them a great place to shop laptops.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:21 PM

194 posts, read 304,315 times
Thank all of you so very much for the info and the pros and cons of each brand. I am reviewing all the info you have submitted and will definitely go with one of your suggestions. I will report back when I make the purchase. I love that we can come on here and get excellent advice! You guys are the Greatest to share your knowledge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers