Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:34 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times

Advertisements

When Best Buy first launched the Geek Squad I thought it was a great idea. Finally I can send my friends there that always want me to look at thier computers. (Y'know the ones that expect me to do it for free...)

Couple months ago a co-worker broought her laptop in.
She dropped $189 on Geek Squad to look at it. I saw the reciept.
They cleaned all the spyware off of it.
But it was still running like crap, she told me.
Skeptical I fired it up. 20 minutes later it finally loads to the dekstop.
In less then a minute I find her problem. And I haven't seen this in years:

DRIVE (C) HARD DISK SPACE 40GB
USED SPACE 40GB
FREE SPACE 0 GB

$189 to run a few spyware programs and you don't even notice the hard drive is FULL.

Yea, there's a Geek Squad review for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
I acquired two major clients because of this. From two different "big" computer repair places here.

One was a jewelry/coin store that had some idiot coming in once a month cleaning up his computer, which was ancient, full of cobwebs, and the side cover was leaning against the unit. I took a look, saw the less than 1GB free pie chart, the inside of the computer, and asked him how old it was.

I then recommended that he buy a new computer. Considering what he was being charged he could break even three months.

I sold him two computers that day and went on to take care of his entire business for 7 years, when I retired. I still do some work that would take to long to teach to the techs he is using now.

The second one had the same problem in a newer PC. The company that sold it to him had put a small SCSI drive in the unit. This for an architect that saved hundreds of drawings. I guess the techies didn't know anything about CAD drawing sizes. They were also dinging him once a month for "cleanup". Another client for 7 years.

I now know where all those out of work "technicians" went for employment.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
I've filled one up before but that was during video capture, forgot to check how much space was left beforehand. If I remember correctly it gives alert the drive is full?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:33 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Just what you want, minimum wage goofballs with sales goals working on your computer

Old 03-16-2011, 07:56 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I've filled one up before but that was during video capture, forgot to check how much space was left beforehand. If I remember correctly it gives alert the drive is full?
Yes, XP will tell you the drive is getting low. But for some reason her system was not telling her.

*Moderator: could you move this thread to COMPUTERS. Sorry.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yes, XP will tell you the drive is getting low. But for some reason her system was not telling her.

*Moderator: could you move this thread to COMPUTERS. Sorry.
Could be like a few of my customers, get tired of the warning and google how to turn it off rather than actually comprehend what it was telling them.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:08 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
A couple of years ago, my in-laws called me on a Thursday about their computer freezing multiple times and refusing to start. I told them that I could be by Saturday (I worked full-time and went to school full-time). Being impatient, they went over to Geek Squad who told them that the motherboard was fried, that there was nothing that could be done to save it, and that it would be cheaper to get a new machine. They offered to waive the cost of their "work" and save them even more money with deals on their new computers.

So, they were sold an $1100 computer that had about the same specs as the one I built them for $200. I arrive on Saturday, they show me their nifty new "amazing" computer and told me what really nice Geek Squad guy had said. Something told me that the Geek Squad guy wasn't being entirely honest... so I opened up the old computer, re-seated a loose memory stick, tightened all the cables, and started up the machine with no problem.

Their response? "Well maybe being off for so long fixed it."

Old 03-16-2011, 09:13 AM

148 posts, read 370,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Their response? "Well maybe being off for so long fixed it."
lol. Gotta love that. I suppose you have to find some kind of justification after investing $1100 right?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:21 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

DRIVE (C) HARD DISK SPACE 40GB
USED SPACE 40GB
FREE SPACE 0 GB
Another case where the computer should have been replaced but was "repaired" instead.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Another case where the computer should have been replaced but was "repaired" instead.
Matter of opinion, a larger hard drive costs a fraction of a new PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers