U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2007, 12:17 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,072,433 times

Advertisements

Does the battary get drained when I have my laptop plugged and the battery is already fully charged?

I'm kinda lazy so I find it a pain to take the battery off when I don't need it and put it back on when I do need it! Unfortunately, this battery replacement is REALLY friggin' expensive so I may just be inclined to do it if it need be. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 08:10 PM

677 posts, read 3,899,200 times
It might depend on what kind of laptop you have, but with mine when it's plugged in it's using power from the outlet, not the battery. There's an indicator on the screen that shows this. I rarely have a reason to take the battery out of my laptop.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:35 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,010,641 times
Hi foma,
The power slowly drains when it is not used, that is not what causes the battery to go bad. Rechargeable batteries have an unknown limit of how many times they can be charges (it is a lot, do not worry). So, after a set number of recharges, it will hold less power and ultimately fail to charge.

If you do not use the battery a lot, you can charge only when you know you will need to use it. This will prolong the life of it.

For me personally, however, I keep it in. It is a nice safety item that keeps the computer on in case the is a power outage (or in case you move and accidently unplug the laptop etc.)

For my dell laptop, the battery lasted 2 years and the first year was with very heavy usage (laptop was on 24/7 as it was my main PC).

Hope I answered your questions.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:42 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,072,433 times
It's a Sony Vaio and the icon on the notification area shows the laptop using "plugged in" vs. "battery" mode. I'm assuming that's what it's doing.

Thanks guys. I always find these random questions to ask about computers!

Old 04-14-2009, 03:05 AM

2 posts, read 15,899 times
Default How To Extend Laptop Battery Life

Laptops tend to lose their charm quickly when you are constantly looking for the nearest power outlet to charge up. How do you keep your battery going for as long as possible? Here are 5 easy ways to do so.
  1. Turn the brightness level as low as you possibly. Laptops always come with the ability to select the brightness level, some even could modify CPU cooling performance, switch down to lowest level will enable you squeeze out two times longer Dell Inspiron 6400 battery life than the situation working in the highest level.

More >>
Dell Inspiron 6400 Battery Pack

Old 04-14-2009, 06:14 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,010,478 times
Also, batteries like to be used, they do not like a constant charge and never a discharge. Run it on battery once or twice a week till it pops up the low battery warning, then charge it back up. The sure way to kill a battery is to never use it.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,495,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This thread is 11 months old. What did you hope to add to the thread by posting a thank you? You didn't even take part in the original discussion.

You may want to go read the Terms of Service. Signatures are not permitted except for Moderators, and advertising is absolutely forbidden on City-Data.
It's a spam, and has been reported.. I also run a Vb site, and these guy really tick me off...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or