U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 AM

3,724 posts, read 8,366,502 times

Advertisements

I have Windows 7 with IE 8, anti-virus program is BitDefender 2011. When Firefox released the new version, I downloaded it - there are some things that it does more easily than IE 8.

The problem is that Firefox offers their own choice of anti-virus program to be installed with the download. Since I already have one (BD) which I paid for and am quite happy with, I declined the offer to download whatever it was. Now, Firefox 4 - or maybe it's BD, I don't even remember - says that it can't or won't allow BitDefender to run on Firefox 4.

Any ideas? I am not going to have two separate anti-virus programs running simultaneously. BTDT and it was a mess, caused more troubles than it solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 07:39 AM

11,833 posts, read 11,352,366 times
You should always remove the check from the box offering to download anything else with anything you choose to install. You are absolutely right in that you should not run more than one AV program. My question is why are you using BitDefender when there are several fine AV programs available for free?

Old 03-29-2011, 11:34 AM

28,674 posts, read 40,700,906 times
Not sure why it's doing that, but you might try going into Option/Applications in FF and see if it shows an AV other than BD running.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:00 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,385,713 times
It sounds like Bit Defender tried to install an add-on for Firefox but since Firefox 4 is so new, the add-on isn't compatible.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:04 PM

28,674 posts, read 40,700,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
It sounds like Bit Defender tried to install an add-on for Firefox but since Firefox 4 is so new, the add-on isn't compatible.
Good point.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:14 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,763,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I have Windows 7 with IE 8, anti-virus program is BitDefender 2011. When Firefox released the new version, I downloaded it - there are some things that it does more easily than IE 8.

The problem is that Firefox offers their own choice of anti-virus program to be installed with the download. Since I already have one (BD) which I paid for and am quite happy with, I declined the offer to download whatever it was. Now, Firefox 4 - or maybe it's BD, I don't even remember - says that it can't or won't allow BitDefender to run on Firefox 4.

Any ideas? I am not going to have two separate anti-virus programs running simultaneously. BTDT and it was a mess, caused more troubles than it solved.
You'll have a conflict between firefox and microsoft. I'm told that you're best off to forget about firefox if you're using windows. Personally, I'll never use microsoft again. I use a different system, and firefox and Chromium are both completely compatable. I could download a few of microsoft's software, but then I would also open my system up to the malware that plagues microsoft, and I don't want that.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You should always remove the check from the box offering to download anything else with anything you choose to install. You are absolutely right in that you should not run more than one AV program. My question is why are you using BitDefender when there are several fine AV programs available for free?
I did uncheck the box for the antvirus program when I downloaded FF 4. I'm using BitDefender for several reasons. The free ones I haven't had very good luck with, to say the least. The computer I have now is the 3rd one I got last summer between June and August, not counting the one that was defective that I had to uninstall everything I'd put on it so I could return it to the store.

The two I lost use of was because they were hit by viruses that got through the latest (at that time) upgrades of free antivirus programs. That might be annoying and somewhat pricey to get fixed if you live in an urban area, but when you live in the middle of absolutely nowhere, there is simply no one who can fix something like that. As a result, I've gone with an antivirus program that will provide online support, and I've become hyperparanoid about keeping all I can on flash drives or actually online. My computer is more of an interface between me and the internet now - I don't even use an email reader, I use only webmail. Even so, viruses still get through to my computer, and BD traps and destroys them, along with a multitude of tracking cookies, on a regular basis.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:27 PM

11,833 posts, read 11,352,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
You'll have a conflict between firefox and microsoft. I'm told that you're best off to forget about firefox if you're using windows. Personally, I'll never use microsoft again. I use a different system, and firefox and Chromium are both completely compatable. I could download a few of microsoft's software, but then I would also open my system up to the malware that plagues microsoft, and I don't want that.
Don't come into this forum and spout off unsubstantiated rants. There is no conflict between Firefox and Microsoft. I've been using Firefox on Windows machines since the day Firefox was released without issue. Please explain how downloading a few of Microsoft's software would open up your system to malware. In doing so, please don't cite Windows as an example. We've seen that argument too many times on this forum. Cite programs that you could actually download from Microsoft please.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That's one thing I hadn't thought of. I'll give them a week or so, then call and see what's going on.

That's one of the things I especially like about BitDefender - it's possible to talk to a live human being, one that even speaks English.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:22 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,385,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Even so, viruses still get through to my computer, and BD traps and destroys them, along with a multitude of tracking cookies, on a regular basis.
Don't let a few saves lull you into a false sense of security. I've removed malware from computers regardless of which antivirus program they were running. Safe surfing is far more effective than any antivirus. Using Firefox is a good step. I use it with a free add-on called NoScript that greatly enhances security on the web.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers