U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:36 PM

113 posts, read 169,239 times

Advertisements

I got an HDMI cable that goes between my computer and my TV today. I got it hooked up and yet the TV doesn't see a signal between the computer and the TV and the computer doesn't have any place for me to get the Tv signal on my screen.

My computer DOES have this capability to record TV and everything, so I am kinda perplexed about why I can't connection going here.

Thanks for any help! Please, NO flames, ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 08:08 PM

43,858 posts, read 42,713,116 times
It might be best to also post this in the Computer Forum.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/computers/

Several of the posters on there are really knowledgeable and helpful. It has saved me a couple of times.

I go directly thru our PlayStation, but you could also check out these sites for instructions:

How to Connect PC to HDMI TV | eHow.com

How to Connect a Laptop Computer To Your Television Screen

How To Connect Your Computer/PC Or Laptop To Your TV
(this site really has great pics for helping)

Old 04-02-2011, 10:14 PM

Thanks, Glory! May I please ask a mod to move this to the computer forum? I have part of the problem solved now, I just have to figure out how to get the TV stuff playing on my computer so I can record it.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:22 PM

64,036 posts, read 15,708,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking_Out_Loud View Post
Thanks, Glory! May I please ask a mod to move this to the computer forum? I have part of the problem solved now, I just have to figure out how to get the TV stuff playing on my computer so I can record it.
Go to the red triangle on the top right where you see #1 on the left side. enter what you want to do. A mod will move you there.
Welcome to the forum! have fun!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:48 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,794,081 times
If I understand correctly, you want to view the tv on your computer and record. I think you are a little confused on how it works. The HDMI connection allows you to connect your computer to a HD tv to use the tv as a monitor (i.e. you can see your computer display on the tv, play movies on the computer and view them on the tv, play a video file or view pictures on your computer on the tv). It does not work the opposite way. You can't feed the tv back through the HDMI to the computer. The HDMI connection is an output on the computer and an input on the tv. To view your computer on the tv just go to the source settings on the tv and select the HDMI port number you have the computer connected to.

To record tv on the computer, you will need a tv tuner card in your computer. If you already have one, then all you have to do is connect your cable tv to it or antenna for over the air if the tuner card is digital atsc ota capable. You can also connect outputs from a satellite receiver to the inputs on the tuner card to record whatever channel the satellite receiver is viewing. You will need the appropriate tv media application for your tuner card, many will work with windows media center.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:44 PM

Ok, thank you everyone! I am sooo glad we have people around who know this computer stuff! You must think I'm not too bright, but it's just computer techie stuff I don't know anything about. Thanks again!

Old 04-03-2011, 05:31 PM

43,858 posts, read 42,713,116 times
I was just checking to see if you got an answer. I'm glad you found the computer forum. Lots of great help available here!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 PM

26,346 posts, read 78,897,428 times
I didn't read every post thoroughly but realize you may have to push the PC video output to the TV versus the computer screen. I currently display HD from my PC to my HD TV. When I had a laptop and used S Video to push to a TV I had to set the output to the TV versus the laptop display.

Right click on the desk top and see if you have some sort of options or menu as to where to direct the video output.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:00 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,525,102 times
Check your video card software. You should have some kind of control panel where you can specify how the TV will be used. It can be disabled, a completely separate screen, an extension of the first screen, or a clone of the first screen.

Below is a screenshot of my display driver software for Linux. I'm assuming that you're using Windows, so it may look a little bit different on your PC.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:38 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,794,081 times
The OP was not trying to use the tv as a monitor, he was attempting to use the HDMI connection backwards and feed from the tv to the computer. That is not possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or