Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:40 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,197,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Im not wanting to hide from anyone, I do however want to start fresh in a forum where an unfair moderator banned me....There you got the answer .lol
Internet Provider » 10 Sites with Software for Browsing the Web Anonymously

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 07:45 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,119,324 times
The issue is how do I change the IP number for my yahoo email. In order to enter the forum and post I have to have an email account . The proxy I use does get me by the blocked access to read the forum but thats not enough..thanks

Old 04-05-2011, 07:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,080,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Unless your paying extra for a static IP it likely gets changed on a regular basis anyway, changing it again would do nothing.
If you leave the lease alive, your IP will not change (with cable atleast). Even if you have dynamic IP.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,080,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
The closest you're going to get to changing your IP, short of changing internet provider, is to unplug your modem.

So, here ya go... When you hang up the browser at night, or whatever your lifestyle, unplug the modem. When you rouse yourself and get back to the PC, plug the modem back in. You'll get a new IP.

However...

I suspect your IP assignment is of the dynamic variety. That means your ISP assigns an IP address, randomly from a pool that - for discussion here - ends somewhere between .002 and .254. That would be the end of the quad number in your subnet mask... your internet neighborhood.

After you unplug (or reboot) your modem, your current IP is returned to the pool. When the modem reconnects to the pool you get a new IP. However.... your modem has its own identity - the MAC address - that is recognized by the subnet mask and will reassign your previous IP if you reconnect in too short a period of time. Therein... leave the modem off for a period of time.

As above, IP addressing in a subnet is like your neighborhood. Think of something like the movie Inception, it's your neighborhood but it continually changes its appearance. After you release your current IP, you need time for the neighborhood to change its appearance before you will get a new IP. Remember tho', that IP number is a quad set... xxx.xxx.xxx.002 - .254. Most of the number (the x 'es) is NOT going to change. The whole number is contained within your subnet... your neighborhood.
For cable, it doesn't go by your modem's MAC, but rather the MAC of the device that is attached to the modem. You can test this by just changing the MAC of your router, and/or computer. or just trying to connect another device. The modem must be rebooted in order to get a new IP for the newly connected device, but it can be done right away without having to wait.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:51 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,197,257 times
Quote:
The issue is how do I change the IP number for my yahoo email. In order to enter the forum and post I have to have an email account . The proxy I use does get me by the blocked access to read the forum but thats not enough..thanks
Your yahoo email recognizes your login, not your current IP address. You can access Yahoo from home with your PC and the same IP address you've had for months. You can go to an Internet cafe in Amsterdam and access that same Yahoo account but your originating IP (the internet cafe in Amsterdam) will have a different IP address.

Sounds like you're not needing to change your IP but to change your personal identification... the Yahoo login ID.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,481,426 times
Quote:
I am tired of being tracked by my IP number. I think its only fair that I be able to get another one. People change their phone numbers all the time. How can I change my IP number? Ps I dont want to use a proxy because that doesnt change MY IP NUMBER
If you are being "tracked" it is by cookies on your system.

If I had your IP address, I can use it to probe your system or router for weaknesses, but if you have a router and have not setup port forwarding, and secured your router, I'm pretty well locked out.

No individual would be able to "track" you by looking for traffic to and from your IP, for the simple reason it will never reach them, unless they are the destination.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Who's your ISP? I know with Comcast, you can simply just use a new MAC, and comcast will assign you a new IP Address.
Charter works the same way, change the routers MAC then power cycle the cable modem and the router, different IP.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
The closest you're going to get to changing your IP, short of changing internet provider, is to unplug your modem.
Sorry, but changing the MAC on the internet side of the router will result in a different IP being assigned.

Most users have a randomingly assigned IP, but due to the nature of broadband being always connected users will keep the same IP for months at a time. The range can be much larger than the range you listed. My address is a class A, with a /20 mask, meaning that within that network I could be assigned any of 4,000 plus addresses.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:12 PM

Bottom line, if you are being tracked, clear the cookies from your system and don't sweat the IP.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:16 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,946,820 times
Quote:
Use a Gmail account. They don't show your IP but only show Google's IP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers