U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:35 PM

4,793 posts, read 8,157,522 times
This web page shows the effect of memory -- Exploring the impact of memory speed on Sandy Bridge performance - The Tech Report - Page 2

If I had to build a dream computer system I'd give Cyberpower a comparison quote. But right now I've gradually accumulated parts for an HTPC and gaming system like: a Sniper Case, Antec 900 SE case, CoolerMaster Elite 430 case, and Windows 7 Prof SP1 64 bit. So now with these parts I have to go custom built. Warranties are provided by the individual parts themselves.

And just look at the Media Center PCs from Cyberpower... they suck. No good low power 80 Plus Gold or Platinum power supplies. If I'm gonna build a low power HTPC for 24 hr torrenting or downloading / hosting, I'd rather custom build one myself. I could spec one out right now with a 2500K or 2600K and no video card, but I'm waiting for ivy bridge processors to come out, - they will be faster, have lower power draw, have better Intel HD video, and they will support 3 dvi outputs. So I'm waiting till 2012 to build a dream low power HTPC / web browser PC, and by that time maybe 4TB hard drives will be out by then too.

As for Liquid Cooling, I don't know if this is good enough -- http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&so...BChler+H2O+620

Last edited by Jesse69; 04-13-2011 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 09:49 AM

13,569 posts, read 16,088,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
This web page shows the effect of memory -- Exploring the impact of memory speed on Sandy Bridge performance - The Tech Report - Page 2

If I had to build a dream computer system I'd give Cyberpower a comparison quote. But right now I've gradually accumulated parts for an HTPC and gaming system like: a Sniper Case, Antec 900 SE case, CoolerMaster Elite 430 case, and Windows 7 Prof SP1 64 bit. So now with these parts I have to go custom built. Warranties are provided by the individual parts themselves.

And just look at the Media Center PCs from Cyberpower... they suck. No good low power 80 Plus Gold or Platinum power supplies. If I'm gonna build a low power HTPC for 24 hr torrenting or downloading / hosting, I'd rather custom build one myself. I could spec one out right now with a 2500K or 2600K and no video card, but I'm waiting for ivy bridge processors to come out, - they will be faster, have lower power draw, have better Intel HD video, and they will support 3 dvi outputs. So I'm waiting till 2012 to build a dream low power HTPC / web browser PC, and by that time maybe 4TB hard drives will be out by then too.

As for Liquid Cooling, I don't know if this is good enough -- Kühler H2O 620 - Google Search
If you look at the link you provided, you'll see what I was talking about concerning RAM. In synthetic benchmarks, there are measurable differences. However, once you compare them in real world applications, it all comes down to the RAM's latency/timing not the frequency.

For instance, 7-7-7-20 @ 1333 performs better than 9-9-9-24 @ 1600 in the real world. Even when the timings are the same, you are looking at less than a 3% performance difference between 1333 and 2133. The link even comes to the same conclusion, there is no point on spending money on "faster" RAM. The only time it DOES matter is when you are overclocking and need the headroom for turning up the clocks to get the speed you want out of the processor.

As for HTPC's, they really aren't Cyberpowers market. Cyberpower is basically in the mid-high end gaming market. I think HTPC's are the one area that it still makes a lot of sense to build your own as the applications are usually very specific and custom.

As for that cooler, I don't know. I use more traditional fan / heat pipe coolers. I've heard good and bad reviews on those cooling solutions. A lot of people like to buy them, just to cut them up, change the piping and the coolant used and make a much stronger and more efficient unit.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:25 PM

5,128 posts, read 5,913,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I've been contemplating an HTPC and this is what I spec'd out at $1042.36 --

ECS P67H2-A3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard 99.99
My only red flag on this list would be the ECS mobo. They are not necessarily the worst but not far from it either. I would rather spend a bit more and get a comparable chipset made by Gigabyte, Asus or even MSI. The last 10+ years I have build several different PCs using different ECS motherboards with various chipset and overall, I am not too crazy about that brand both performance and reliability wise I was not satisfied enough to recommend that brand to anyone regardless of the price.

I took a chance on G-Skill a few years back and not a single issue and very good performance too! I'd recommend that brand and also I'd purchase it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers