Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:50 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
I don't download/torrent movies ... and it's not because an ISP or religion is holding me back.
I don't because I have morals.
I have morals too.
But free is free.
...and I'm all about free.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:24 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Yeah, I got a nasty trojan from a downloaded video game once. That's why I subscribed to ESET Nod32. I have 3 antivirus on my Vista install and 2 on my Windows 7 install. Somehow Spyware Dr 8 didn't work well with Win 7.

I'm liking the Wonderahare DVD Ripper program I got.

I'd rather just have Netflix stream all of their movies through internet so I don't have to save movies on hd. But somehow Netflic doesn't have all movies instant streaming capable.
You shouldn't be running more than one antivirus. If you run more than one, they can conflict with each other and sometimes even detect and remove parts of each other. Get one good one and keep it updated. Then scan all downloads for viruses before opening them.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
I have morals too.
But free is free.
Why not just buy the movies though? It's just as good when you buy them.

If you want to take a stand against the movie studios, you can be just as effective by not watching the movies at all. Downloading illegal copird doesn't hurt them anymore than by just not buying them.

If you are downloading movies just to save the money, then maybe you just don't have enough money... and you should focus on that.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:47 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
You shouldn't be running more than one antivirus. If you run more than one, they can conflict with each other and sometimes even detect and remove parts of each other. Get one good one and keep it updated. Then scan all downloads for viruses before opening them.
Malewarebytes and ESET NOD32 and Spyware Dr didn't conflict with each other much. Sometimes one program would catch stuff the other programs don't detect. But Spyware Dr 8 didn't work well with my Win 7 - it made it very slow so I removed it.

Yeah, I have a problem with money. I've been unemployed for 137 weeks now and I only get SSDI. So as much as possible, I try to get free stuff. I try hard every week applying for jobs but I haven't even gotten 1 single interview since moving back to Chicago on Feb 2009. I'm one of the millions of Americans suffering long term unemployment. Luckily both my parents with fat gov pensions pay the bills. Otherwise I'd barely make it and need food stamps. I try to make money investing but I have missed out on many good buys.

Uh, so I torrent a lot of stuff. But not movies or music.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:59 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
I have morals too.
But free is free.
Free copyrighted movies are pirated.

If I knew who you were, I would report you.

I believe in copyright laws for music, movies, and software. If you steal, and I could get you in legal trouble for stealing copyrighted works, I would. Sorry.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:01 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Malewarebytes and ESET NOD32 and Spyware Dr didn't conflict with each other much. Sometimes one program would catch stuff the other programs don't detect. But Spyware Dr 8 didn't work well with my Win 7 - it made it very slow so I removed it.

Yeah, I have a problem with money. I've been unemployed for 137 weeks now and I only get SSDI. So as much as possible, I try to get free stuff. I try hard every week applying for jobs but I haven't even gotten 1 single interview since moving back to Chicago on Feb 2009. I'm one of the millions of Americans suffering long term unemployment. Luckily both my parents with fat gov pensions pay the bills. Otherwise I'd barely make it and need food stamps. I try to make money investing but I have missed out on many good buys.

Uh, so I torrent a lot of stuff. But not movies or music.
But you have enough money for a computer and internet access. Instead you torrent luxuries. You are probably stealing copyrighted material.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:22 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
I torrent computer pdf books, like programming C#. But I would never make a career being an IT programmer. This is just a side interest so no harm done. In the first place I wouldn't buy the book and have a vast library taking up bookshelf space. I already have too many computer books that have gotten old and outdated and they take up so much closet space. So if I can get a pdf that doesn't take up closet space I'd do that.

Sometimes I torrent a pdf book I already have a printed copy of. So I can easily take it to work in a USB stick.

When I was in the Phillippines they sold bootleg movies that looked like the real thing and played good dvd quality for 60 pesos, or about $1.40. So I bought $295 of that stuff, but I didn't have space in my luggage so 2/3 of my movies were left in the Phillippines. You can get good counterfeit movies, watches, shoes, and purses in the Philippines. Just go to Greenhills Mall [Manila] and Circle C Mall [Quezon City].

Well, it's a tough life out there. Some engineering jobs want you to learn Solidworks and sometimes know how to use COSMOS FEA - then that would get you the job. Almost no companies will hire you if you don't know this program, - they won't teach it to you on the job either. So many professional have to rely on self training themselves on CAD software and getting a bootleg copy to train on, because you just can't afford the $5000 to $14,000 the software program will cost with the FEA module. And Solidworks makes it tough to buy only selling a Student edition to Academia and then the program expires in 2 years, - sucks. So many professionals rely on the bootleg program to learn on. They do this for Autocad, Proengineer, Solidworks, and Inventor. Programs too expensive for an individual to buy.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I torrent computer pdf books, like programming C#. But I would never make a career being an IT programmer. This is just a side interest so no harm done. In the first place I wouldn't buy the book and have a vast library taking up bookshelf space. I already have too many computer books that have gotten old and outdated and they take up so much closet space. So if I can get a pdf that doesn't take up closet space I'd do that.

Sometimes I torrent a pdf book I already have a printed copy of. So I can easily take it to work in a USB stick.

When I was in the Phillippines they sold bootleg movies that looked like the real thing and played good dvd quality for 60 pesos, or about $1.40. So I bought $295 of that stuff, but I didn't have space in my luggage so 2/3 of my movies were left in the Phillippines. You can get good counterfeit movies, watches, shoes, and purses in the Philippines. Just go to Greenhills Mall [Manila] and Circle C Mall [Quezon City].

Well, it's a tough life out there. Some engineering jobs want you to learn Solidworks and sometimes know how to use COSMOS FEA - then that would get you the job. Almost no companies will hire you if you don't know this program, - they won't teach it to you on the job either. So many professional have to rely on self training themselves on CAD software and getting a bootleg copy to train on, because you just can't afford the $5000 to $14,000 the software program will cost with the FEA module. And Solidworks makes it tough to buy only selling a Student edition to Academia and then the program expires in 2 years, - sucks. So many professionals rely on the bootleg program to learn on. They do this for Autocad, Proengineer, Solidworks, and Inventor. Programs too expensive for an individual to buy.
You do realize that it's not okay for your download books whether or not you work in that particular field.

Also, you can get trained in those programs at professional training schools for as little as a few thousand dollars. Self-training is fine, but don't pirate the material. Either buy it or use free online resources.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:05 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you want to take a stand against the movie studios, you can be just as effective by not watching the movies at all.
If you are downloading movies just to save the money, then maybe you just don't have enough money... and you should focus on that.
I'm not making a stand against anybody. I couldn't care less about how much money the movie studios make.
And your attempt at saying I can't afford to just buy whatever it is I download is a little immature and off topic.
But thats you and your morals.... so who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

If I knew who you were, I would report you.

I believe in copyright laws for music, movies, and software. If you steal, and I could get you in legal trouble for stealing copyrighted works, I would. Sorry.
Now thats about the dumbest thing I've read on this site so far.
How old are you????

Your that upset that I [LIKE MILLIONS ] of people download copyrighted stuff, so much that you'd rat me out?
For what? What would u get out of it? What would happen to me?
Universal answer to all three:NOTHING

You and your buddy NJWORST need to get off your soapbox and give up fighting whatever fight you think your gonna win.

Cause your not.
Oh and sorry for the delay in my response to this silly matter girls....I was caught up in an insane amount of torrents.
6 to be exact.

And the Beat Goes On....

Old 04-09-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:

You and your buddy NJWORST need to get off your soapbox and give up fighting whatever fight you think your gonna win.
And you call me immature.

I'm not trying to fight anything. I'm just saying, I don't see the point of downloading movies. Do you steal food and water too (putting aside the tangible aspect of those being physical objects)?

Probably not, because food and water is dirt cheap and it's not worth it. Movies are so cheap too and I just understand the point of downloading them. And I'm speaking just from a bahavioral standpoint. If something is so easy to attain properly, why even bother with alternatives?

I understand if you're a teenager making $15-$30/hr with no money... but if you're older and gainfully employed, it just doesn't make sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.