U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-20-2011, 10:25 AM

3,788 posts, read 2,846,208 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have an extensive movie collection on my PC and I want to be able to play that media on my TV. In addition, I'm seeking to eventually avoid having to have satellite/cable.

Right now, I'm investigating the following:
  • Western Digital TV Live HUB (wireless with 1TB storage)
  • Boxee
  • Netgear 4150
Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of each? At Best Buy they tried to sell me on the Boxee, but the reviews of it all say it really sucks, and there's no storage. I can't seem to find info on the Netgear 4150 at all, and it seems the programming on the WD TV Live Hub leaves much to be desired (for instance Hulu isn't even available).

Which do you think would be appropriate for my needs, both to watch my media collection and to get to the point where I could cancel my satellite subscription?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 04:30 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,750,615 times
i use hulu to watch my shows i like on there website ..The one thing i did was run a cable from the computer to the tv useing the socalled cable system that i need for a mac computer and now i just log onto hulu website check my update box and download the tv shows to the computer and watch them on the tv on the side of the computer ..

Just make sure you have a super fast internet speed for the download and it works fine ..

by the time i get out of the shower after work and fixed something to eat i have most of the shows downloaded and ready to be watched on the computer ..

Just set up the tv with socalled adapter cables to run out of the computer to your tv also your tv now doubles as a oversized computer moniter also ..See your local best buy or computer store to do that and save yourself some money

Old 04-21-2011, 06:09 AM

21,917 posts, read 28,835,974 times
Since the FCC made high-power TV broadcast illegal, our town lost TV reception. My Dw and I both watch show on our PCs now.

I see no need for any other boxes or cables.

Hulu does it all.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:27 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,342,688 times
If you have a xbox360 or playstation3 you can set them up as a media extender and stream from your pc to the tv through them. You don't need to buy anything else. We have an xbox360 and I set it up as a media extender and I can access all of my media on my pc. I can stream movies, play my music from itunes or other music folders through either the tv or home theater, view our pictures etc. I also have netflix set up on it.

Last edited by dijkstra; 04-21-2011 at 07:34 AM..

Old 04-22-2011, 08:39 AM

6,142 posts, read 6,247,435 times
My buddy just did this.
He hooked up a PC to his plasma TV.
He pays for Hulu Plus: $11.
He pays for Netflix: $11.
He hooked up an antenna to his TV for local broadcast channels: Free.
(He lives in Seattle and I guess he can still get Mariners games over the air)
(Yes, Virginia, antenna's still work)
And he ditched cable TV.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:27 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,342,688 times
I put up an antenna last summer. A lot of the broadcasters have independent channels as well as the networks. You would be surprised how many different channels you can get with an antenna now and many are in HD. I can get 4 cities from my location with a total of over 30 channels. Some of those are the networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) in each city but the rest are channels like "Antenna TV", "RTV", "ION" etc that show syndicated tv shows (reruns of tv shows) and movies. We find ourselves watching these channels quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers