Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 12:51 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
A little basic troubleshooting:
Any lights or noises?
If you put your hand on the drive when you connect it, do you feel anything? There should be a slight vibration as the drive starts to spin up to speed. Put your ear directly on it, hear anything?
Yes to lights and yes to slight vibrations as the internal drive spins up when I plug it in.

Quote:
I would invest in one of these Newegg.com - VANTEC CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter

You can open the Mybook, take the drive out and connect it through this to recover your data, if the drive itself is OK. It is also very useful to recover data from any type of drive, IDE or SATA, laptop (2.5") or desktop (3.5"). I don't often use it, but when I need it, it's the best $ I've spent.
I may just try that. I've got a case for internal drives but I haven't seen that particular piece of hardware before. Thanks, AN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 12:51 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Did that and got this:

I even tried to get it to repair the "bad sectors" but it failed on that too. Drive makes no strange noises or anything. Would it matter if the external drive might be NTSB and computer FAT? I'm not sure that's the case and, since I've tried it on multiple machines with multiple OS's, I doubt it...but thought I'd ask all the same.
That would be NTFS, and no it wouldn't matter. As it's not seeing the drive my guess would be a drive failure or the electronics inside the enclosure have failed.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Well its knows something is attached to the USB port, but not exactly what. If there's data on the drive you'd like to retrieve, get the adapter Asheville referred to and give it a shot. Those adapters are good to have around even if it winds up not helping you in this case.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That would be NTFS, and no it wouldn't matter. As it's not seeing the drive my guess would be a drive failure or the electronics inside the enclosure have failed.
Had video on my mind. Thanks.

I may just try to take this case apart. You wouldn't happen to know of any site that walks you through dismantling one of these would you? I see no screws anywhere and I don't wanna damage the drive if I can help it. The images that I used this drive as backup for located anywhere else and are priceless. I guess redundancy should have been thought of.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:06 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Had video on my mind. Thanks.

I may just try to take this case apart. You wouldn't happen to know of any site that walks you through dismantling one of these would you? I see no screws anywhere and I don't wanna damage the drive if I can help it. The images that I used this drive as backup for located anywhere else and are priceless. I guess redundancy should have been thought of.
I've taken apart a few externals. They're all different but there may be screws hidden under stickers, rubber feet, or under a trim piece. The main part of the case is probably held together with plastic hooks. Use something like a small flat blade screw driver to pry it apart and just be careful not to jab the screwdriver too far into the case.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I've taken apart a few externals. They're all different but there may be screws hidden under stickers, rubber feet, or under a trim piece. The main part of the case is probably held together with plastic hooks. Use something like a small flat blade screw driver to pry it apart and just be careful not to jab the screwdriver too far into the case.
There wasn't but I found a YouTube video and now have the case open and the drive out. Now, for that part Asheville Native recommended.....

YouTube - How To: Take Apart A Western Digital My Book Enclosure

Old 05-12-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
A little basic troubleshooting:
Any lights or noises?
If you put your hand on the drive when you connect it, do you feel anything? There should be a slight vibration as the drive starts to spin up to speed. Put your ear directly on it, hear anything?

I would invest in one of these Newegg.com - VANTEC CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter

You can open the Mybook, take the drive out and connect it through this to recover your data, if the drive itself is OK. It is also very useful to recover data from any type of drive, IDE or SATA, laptop (2.5") or desktop (3.5"). I don't often use it, but when I need it, it's the best $ I've spent.
Well, I got the part you suggested and it arrived today.

I hooked everything up, got the little installing hardware notification. It installed the drivers for an USB Mass Storage device and everything said "Ready For Use".

But the drive still doesn't show in Explorer and I can't access the data on it. It's like the OS recognizes that something is there and it installs what it thinks it needs, but the drive never appears as a valid drive.

I'm heartbroken!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers