Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 05:21 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times

Advertisements

Another interesting article on the new Ubuntu/Unity, this time from PC Pro:

Ubuntu Unity: the great divider | PC Pro

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 05:25 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Yup, that's me, childish, immature, smart aleckly

I don't think there's anyone here on C-D that can match your intelligence or knowledge, you truly know everything
Well if nothing else you are entertaining. Everybody in the office and my friends have been laughing their a$$es off at your pitiful attempts to belittle me.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Well if nothing else you are entertaining. Everybody in the office and my friends have been laughing their a$$es off at your pitiful attempts to belittle me.
As you know, peas of a pod stick together so it's no wonder you all feel the same way...

Screwing off on company time, cheating your employer, way to go

Lemme guess, you are part of the know-it-all IT admin staff.....

Last edited by plwhit; 05-03-2011 at 07:29 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,223 times
Quote:
Another interesting article on the new Ubuntu/Unity, this time from PC Pro:

Ubuntu Unity: the great divider | PC Pro

It's interesting, because every computer I've tried this latest version on said Unity is incompatible with the hardware.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Assuming it's complaining about the video card... Well, the official documentation does say it should work (which is quite different then it's supported).
Quote:
Graphics Card Support
You should be using a VGA-compatible display interface for the console terminal. Nearly every modern display card is compatible with VGA. Ancient standards such CGA, MDA, or HGA should also work, assuming you do not require X11 support. Note that X11 is not used during the installation process described in this document.

Ubuntu's support for graphical interfaces is determined by the underlying support found in X.Org's X11 system. Most AGP, PCI and PCIe video cards work under X.Org. Details on supported graphics buses, cards, monitors, and pointing devices can be found at X.Org Wiki - Home. Ubuntu 11.04 ships with X.Org version 7.5.
https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/installation-guide/i386/hardware-supported.html (broken link)

I have to laugh, in this section it has a link to Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO... You go to it and it's a doc, latest revision is 2007-05-2....

But hey, it's free.......

Old 05-03-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
As you know, peas of a pod stick together so it's no wonder you all feel the same way...

Screwing off on company time, cheating your employer, way to go

Lemme guess, you are part of the know-it-all IT admin staff.....
Actually we just had a terrible outbreak of tornadoes and the electrical service to half the state was out and just now coming back on in areas. One of the tornadoes missed my home by a few hundred yards, turning just before it hit us. When I saw it coming directly toward us, I told the wife and kids to get in the car car and we ran up the road west to avoid it with debris hitting the car and landing all around us.

We came into the office today so we could have a meeting to develop a plan to catch back up once things get back to normal. We were running lights and essentials on a backup generator and had some time to kill so I was on the forums on and off all day to pass time plus catching up.

If you must know, I am actually a "know-it-all" software engineer along with owner of a couple of businesses and also in school to get another degree just for the hell of it because I enjoy learning. lol

So once again, you are spouting off nonsense having no clue what you are talking about.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
If you must know, I am actually a "know-it-all" software engineer along with owner of a couple of businesses and also in school to get another degree just for the hell of it because I enjoy learning.
Now how did I guess right?

So back on thread......

Old 05-04-2011, 08:02 AM

plwhit, I just got to thinking.....If Ubuntu takes off and casual users do start using it we will then actually be on the same side since we are both Linux/Unix fans. What will we argue about then? j/k lmao

Old 05-04-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
plwhit, I just got to thinking.....If Ubuntu takes off and casual users do start using it we will then actually be on the same side since we are both Linux/Unix fans. What will we argue about then? j/k lmao
Hmmmm

A home computer is a solution waiting for a problem?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,189 times
I've been using Linux, in different flavors since 2003. In my experience, the worst part is the installation to make everything work. It has gotten better through the years, but I still find myself manually editing configuration files, etc... after the install. The good news is that after everything is set, it stays that way. It is a better OS than Windows for a newbie as long as it is setup by a knowledgeable person. I have setup such systems for people that never used a computer before, and years later, they are still running they way I left them.

OTOH, give a newbie a Windows PC, and in 3 months, they'll have 20 useless programs running at startup, 15 icons in the systray, 7 toolbars in IE, maybe a virus or two, and they'll be complaining about their computer running slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers