Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:13 AM

718 posts, read 1,149,690 times

Advertisements

For some folks that might be interested, here are some articles about the latest version of Ubuntu Linux.

The new Ubuntu Desktop: Unity | ZDNet

Ubuntu Linux 11.04 review | Ubuntu 11.04 review | Ubuntu review | Software | Reviews | PC Pro

Ubuntu Linux 11.04's Target Audience: Casual Windows Users | ZDNet

I just checked out this version last night. It looks very different from Windows and OSX. Takes some getting used to. I downloaded the ISO file and will install it today.

I'm happy with my current dual-boot of Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7. Well, except maybe for what's looking like winrot again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 07:59 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,032 times
I will try it, but every time I've used Ubuntu its been a total pain in the a$$ to install and there's always been some unfixed hardware incompatibility with several machines.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,227 times
i installed ubuntu on an older laptop last year and loved it. the laptop ran so much faster with ubuntu.

i quit using it though because my Tether app for blackberry would not work; i found it was pointless to have a dual-boot system, so I went back to windows only.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:21 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
I go back and forth with Ubuntu in general. It has improved leaps and bounds but there are still hiccups that prevent it from going mainstream.

For example, it would be a free, safe, easy to use OS for my parents. With e-mail, occasional word and internet, however their printer doesn't work with it at all. (Lexmark).

I can work around those problems but most people can't or don't want to.

With Windows and/or Mac if you've ever seen the how to or help they are much easier and much more prevalent than for linux; a large part of figuring out linux problems is really digging deep in forums to try to find an answer.

For example I had to search and search until I found a driver to install a canon printer on Ubuntu. I found out I had to download the driver from a Chinese website, then of course unpack a tarbal and all of that good stuff. Again, most people don't want to deal.

I think Canonical and other distributors need to make an even more solid foundation. And by that I mean driver support. That would mean charging to get other OEMs on board to make sure that, for example most all printers and peripherals are supported easily.

In terms of this new release, I don't mind it and think it would be OK for most to use, however for people actually using linux they'll change the layout anyway.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:12 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
I almost had a panic attack when I logged in and the functionality of my desktop was completely changed and couldn't even find the menu to change the system preferences.. then I realized all I have to do is select "Ubuntu Classic" at the bottom before logging in..

Old 04-29-2011, 09:32 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,167,066 times
lol

Every year there is a story about how Linux will take off and be used by millions, but it never happens.

It's still to involved for the casual user. It will always be a geek OS.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,709 times
From those screenshots, I like the look of the unity desktop. Might have to try it out when it comes out for Fedora.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:19 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Unity has potential, but it's tough to escape the feeling that it just isn't ready yet. Ubuntu's drive to bring something radically new to the Linux desktop just might work in the long run, but unless you want to come along for all the bumps along the way, we suggest skipping Ubuntu 11.04 and waiting for something more fully baked to emerge.
Natty Narwahl: Ubuntu marine mammal not fully evolved ? The Register

Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 AM

718 posts, read 1,149,690 times
After a few days of using this latest version, I would have to agree - not ready for primetime. But it's not that far off. I'd say it should be pretty good by the October release.

It's not like there's a gajillion Ubuntu/Gnome users that will be adversely affected by this move to Unity. I'm still trying to get used to the Unity and so far, I like it. It's different enough from Gnome/Windows. Feeds the non-conformist in me.

And it's fast. Even faster than 10.10. And Win7 Ultimate, which I have in a dual-boot.

I like that they seem to be picking off some design touches from the Mac/IOS. Not as refined as the Apple, but pretty good. Maybe Ubuntu will become the poor man's Mac.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Of all the Linux releases I've tried Ubuntu has the best shot of being called the windows replacement for the average person....

Agree with you that Unity will take some getting used too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers