Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times

Advertisements

ALWAYS get the 'Accidental Damage' extension if you want warranty protection. A warranty covers some manufacture failure in function and does not even include a keypad coming loose.

The magic words are Accidental Damage. That will change the entire tone of your claim conversation.

Last edited by Willsson; 05-10-2011 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 06:00 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
Sorry.....it is a laptop.

Thank you for actually reading my post instead of jumping to conclusions.

I did once spill a little on an IBM lap top. The effected keys will never be the same.

For one thing, I never spilled on this HP laptop. All of the keys work perfectly.

if they are slimy enough to make up spillage, I would think they are slimy enough to actually spill something.

Apparently they didn't enter the 2 year warranty on the computers record. They certainly charged me for it.
I'd be walking into their store with the receipt showing I paid for the warranty and demanding a refund...

Old 05-10-2011, 06:28 PM

8,314 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'd be walking into their store with the receipt showing I paid for the warranty and demanding a refund...
Exactly, it doesn't matter what their computer records show, if your receipt printed by them shows coverage for 2-year warranty, that will be the end of the debate.

If they continue to give you hard time, tell 'em you will start coughing around the store!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:02 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,437 times
I'll dig up the receipt. But if they continue to maintain that the motherboard went out due to spillage, I don't think that will be covered.

I also know that no liquid could have got on the motherboard. That would take a pretty bad cough.

If a cough ruins the motherboard, it seems awfully unprotected.

What can I do when they maintain "spillage on the motherboard?"

And to think that I talked my brother into buying his computer from them.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:40 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
As mensaguy said, demand they show you where the evidence of this spillage damage is.

Simple....

Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Are you serious??? I would be at the counter of the store on the busiest day of business, screaming that they had ripped me off, loud enough that EVERYONE in the store could hear me. I had to do something similar once at a Compusa store. You don't have a computer problem, you have a problem with the store.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:23 PM

This is all pretty weird. Records show that I bought a reconditioned HP laptop with a 17" screen on May 12, 2010. I also bought a three year warranty.

Now they say that I am fine....that the tech will get back with me.

Leaves me wondering if the first purchaser spilled something and returned it. They put in a new keyboard but a little motherboard damage manifested a year later.......

Old 05-11-2011, 09:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
It pays to keep good records and be persistent...

Old 05-11-2011, 11:42 PM

573 posts, read 970,838 times
Quote:
Tech also tells me that warranty has expired. I bought a two year warranty exactly one year ago.

I may have gotten a couple drops on the keyboard several months ago....I find it hard to believe that anyone doesn't do that once/year. It never got wet enough that I had to wipe it. But I know that I have coughed on it.

All the keys worked perfectly. Spillage would have messed with the keyboard?

The company is M*cro Center. My suspicion is that they get a lower price by taking on a self warranty of the computers they sell.

Best Buy never gave any static whatsoever on their computer warranty's. Guess I should have stuck with them.
Quote:
The keyboard works great. I never spilled anything on it.

The screen went blank. The tech says its the motherboard and blames it on spillage. It would take more than a cough to get to the motherboard.

Sounds to me like your screen went bad. Have you ever tried to connect a regular monitor to your laptop to see if it booted up? If it boots normally this would indicate the screen is bad and not the motherboard, since any liquid on the motherboard will short out the computer and basically send it to that great landfill of dead computers. You could also connect a regular usb keyboard as well.

FYI: laptop screens are replaceable components. You can even do it yourself if you have some technical ability. But if you paid for a warranty then don't leave until they fix it.

I Do this for a living by the way and have worked on laptops in the past.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
Sounds to me like your screen went bad. Have you ever tried to connect a regular monitor to your laptop to see if it booted up? If it boots normally this would indicate the screen is bad and not the motherboard, since any liquid on the motherboard will short out the computer and basically send it to that great landfill of dead computers. You could also connect a regular usb keyboard as well.

FYI: laptop screens are replaceable components. You can even do it yourself if you have some technical ability. But if you paid for a warranty then don't leave until they fix it.

I Do this for a living by the way and have worked on laptops in the past.
Its in for repair so I can't try anything. At first the tech said it was the screen. Then he said it was the motherboard.

I have replaced a screen before. That was also an HP. Do HP's tend to have screen problems? I know that a lot break down but that is, at least, partially caused by their large percentage of laptop sales.

HP laptops also tend to run hot based on my very limited experience. I've had two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers