Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times

Advertisements

What is the easiest way to make this transfer.

The old IMAC 2006 approx cant log on to the internet for some reason.

Isnt there a type of cord that can transfer directly from one to the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 07:45 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
What is the easiest way to make this transfer.

The old IMAC 2006 approx cant log on to the internet for some reason.

Isnt there a type of cord that can transfer directly from one to the other?
Get your new iMac all setup and run all the Software Updates.

Connect iMacs together with a FireWire 400 or 800 cable.
On your old iMac, Hold the T key down and press the power button.
Keep holding down the T key until it boots into Target Disk Mode.

On the new iMac you should see the drive of your old iMac on the desktop, just go copy what you want - drag it over.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:47 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
the above solution is the best. firewire cables are cheap at monoprice.com - like 1/10 the price of the same cable at best buy. do you have a router? if so, you can plug both into the router and do a file transfer over the network. this is more complicated though, you would need to set up sharing permissions, etc.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:20 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
If you bought a new Mac and there's an Apple Store near you, the Genius bar will do it all for you for free, just schedule an appointment if you don't mind hauling to computers around.

Or else, there's an application that will handle all this for you and you can do it yourself - Migration Assistant - How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac - your new computer has it built in to make it easy for you.

This is probably the best method for you - direct connection will be quickest and you can choose what you want to migrate.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:37 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
ok I switched the keyboard around restarted the old mac holding the T down and got the blue screen with the Y shaped character.

On the new mac it still says waiting for the other mac to restart.

Once again I switched keyboard between the macs and restarted the old computer and held down the T and got that fireware symbol. I've got a green cable that says 350 on and the heads look like a phone thingy but seem to have 10 pins ( a bit bigger than a phone thingy) and yes one side is connected into each computer. What did I do wrong (aside from being born and then buying a computer)? Its only kids photos I'm trying to save- I suppose I'll live a bit longer without them.

Maybe the wire that should have connected the two macs was a USB thing with the metal connectors at the end. You know I have several grad degrees and I'm helpless so this may be a total indictment of our country's educational system. On top of that I let my son go to college at UT Austin when I could have kept him around here doing useful stuff like this.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 05-14-2011 at 08:57 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 03:04 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,223 times
The "phone thingy" is an Ethernet cable, and the procedure for transferring files is different than using FireWire. You could use a USB flash drive and plug it into your old computer, drag the files you want to save to the flash drive, then plug the flash drive into your new computer.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:15 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
It’s really best to let the Genius Bar do this sort of thing, especially if you’re transferring applications. Transferring files is easy, however transferring all of the parts of an application (including registrations) is tricky. I learned this the hard way. Years ago I did the transfer myself but didn’t get everything. I’m not good at keeping serial and registration numbers for software (to reinstall manually) and it created a huge problem.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:42 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Most apps on a Mac are self inclusive, so the whole thing moves at once. What you would also want are your preferences for that app, so you have all your customization. Still, want to move an app, drag it wherever. Also, any shortcuts elsewhere in the computer automatically update the hard links.

OP - Are you using the Migration Assistant application, or just booting in target mode on one of the computers? A ten-pin connection could be many things...

Does the wire you are trying to use have this symbol?

It sounds like the green wire you have is an ethernet cable - like a phone cable but wider. If that is the case, you need a FireWire (FW) cable. You can get them for next to nothing if you go to the right place.

Your FW ports should look like this on the 2006 Mac -

The new iMac, assuming its a new model, has a different port layout, but notice the same symbol:

http://www.trendcity.co.cc/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/croppediMac_rear_panel_610x458.jpg (broken link)

If your green cable fits into the port on the far right, thats ethernet.

Your plug should look like this:

Last edited by Sayantsi; 05-12-2011 at 03:56 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Or else, there's an application that will handle all this for you and you can do it yourself - Migration Assistant - How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac - your new computer has it built in to make it easy for you.

This is probably the best method for you - direct connection will be quickest and you can choose what you want to migrate.
Second this recommendation. I've used this method twice and it worked perfectly. I've also used this method when upgrading to a larger hard drive.

This is the way to go.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:01 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
If you bought a new Mac and there's an Apple Store near you, the Genius bar will do it all for you for free, just schedule an appointment if you don't mind hauling to computers around.

Agreed, but there is no reason to take it to the Genius Bar. That would be a waste of time. The Migration Assistant makes process simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers