U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 02:06 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,327,120 times

Advertisements

This fits close to your budget and comes with a 3 yr warranty.

Back-To-School 2011

I'd never buy a computer from Best Buy... they are the worst. No laptop either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 03:31 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,662,234 times
$400-500 budget ... that with or without a monitor? If without, perhaps here's one to think about ...
Acer Aspire Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core Sandy Bridge Desktop (4GB/1TB) $449.99 Deal - Reviews and Compare Prices

In any chase, here's a program that will aide you in the uninstalling ...
yorkspace.com » The PC Decrapifier

Jesse - you might want to help out the OP one step further with an suggested configuration here. I'm not berating you this time for the suggestion, since at least the $20 over is much more within reason, but given the myriad of options, someone not as well versed will need a lot more help than just the basic link that provides like a hundred options.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:08 PM

What are all the things the OP uses a computer for? Then we can custom build a better system from Cyberpower.

I think BB is too much into inflating prices and ripping off unknowledgeable people. I get tempted with their nice laptops but I don't trust their warranty and accident protection coverage. I heard bad things about them, like denying accident coverage.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:49 PM

11,581 posts, read 11,580,690 times
Quote:
This fits close to your budget and comes with a 3 yr warranty.

Back-To-School 2011
That's one hell of a nice looking unit, but I'm not a gamer. I basically just use a PC to surf innocuous websites-----like CD----and play YouTube. I like the 3-year warranty, though. The price is good and they give you 6 months to pay it off interest-free. But is this too much computer for me and is CoolerMaster reliable (though the warranty takes care of that, providing they stand behind it)?

Quote:
In any chase, here's a program that will aide you in the uninstalling ...
yorkspace.com » The PC Decrapifier
Thanks for that link. I will add that one also to my fav places for future reference.

Quote:
I don't trust their (BB) warranty and accident protection coverage. I heard bad things about them, like denying accident coverage.
You heard that right.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:53 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,958,754 times
Newegg, Amazon, Frys, even Staples is better than Best Buy. Dell, Lenovo (thinkpad), etc are fine too.

Avoid Cyberpower (someone else recommended it... horrible customer service).

Old 05-14-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Newegg, Amazon, Frys, even Staples is better than Best Buy. Dell, Lenovo (thinkpad), etc are fine too.

Avoid Cyberpower (someone else recommended it... horrible customer service).
I just Googled "cyberpowerpc customer service reputation" and a lot of mixed or bad reviews came in... I would suggest that to get the best computer for your money just source out the best parts that fit your needs and build the computer yourself. My first and last computer was bought in college, then since 1995 I've built my own computers.

Maybe you should Google "How to build your own PC"

But an article from a PC Magazine said it's hard to match low price builds on low end computers.

Maybe you should buy from Newegg or Fry's. If you buy a Dell buy it direct from Dell. But Fry's is not in every city.

Yeah, reviews said Cyberpower customer service stinks, they're understaffed, and they might build your computer with refurbished parts. I'm very glad I decided to custom build my latest i7 2600K Gamer / Low Power / HTPC rig instead of buying from Cyberpower.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I just Googled "cyberpowerpc customer service reputation" and a lot of mixed or bad reviews came in... I would suggest that to get the best computer for your money just source out the best parts that fit your needs and build the computer yourself. My first and last computer was bought in college, then since 1995 I've built my own computers.

Maybe you should Google "How to build your own PC"

But an article from a PC Magazine said it's hard to match low price builds on low end computers.

Maybe you should buy from Newegg or Fry's. If you buy a Dell buy it direct from Dell. But Fry's is not in every city.

Yea, I used to build computers in the 90's and even just built one a few months ago... but most of the time I just buy them prebuilt because there's little savings in it and it's not worth my time.

I mostly use laptops now anyways. I bought a cyberpowerpc in 2001 or so, and it was a piece of crap. You had to either pay $$ for a good quality PSU, case, etc... or take their horrible horrible lowend options which ultimately caused problems for me (PSU blew out).

Old 05-14-2011, 07:36 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,078,787 times
You aso might want to check wal-mart as they have some deals better than newegg. Might require site to store but you can brig t back no questioned ask in 30 days.Dell are not what they use to be and I use to buy them eclusive .My present computer is a Hp bought at wal-mart.Compre the specs and you might be surprised unless you are a gamer.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You aso might want to check wal-mart as they have some deals better than newegg. Might require site to store but you can brig t back no questioned ask in 30 days.Dell are not what they use to be and I use to buy them eclusive .My present computer is a Hp bought at wal-mart.Compre the specs and you might be surprised unless you are a gamer.
I don't typically buy Dell, but I still think Dell makes top quality stuff. My gf's mom's Latitude is really solid. I also like that Dell often includes 3 year next business day warranty.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 PM

What the OP could do is buy a custom built computer from Craigslist or ebay... These sellers are somewhat shady and they give you a good deal by loading Windows 7 Ultimate and Office 2010 on the computers for free... might get bootleg install discs too. Yeah, I've seen some funny bargain listings on ebay. I see small computer shops advertise on Craigslist and they can custom build for you for cheap, + throw in bootleg software!

But if you buy a computer online maybe the best is Dell. When my brother ran his computer business he hated Dell because he could hardly beat them in computer prices and builds. Saw selling desktops as not that profitable. I only buy laptops from Dell but I had EPP [Employee...] and I had great service when my laptops broke down. Fast up to 3 day wait repair with a technician that had your replacement part.

You should get at least a quad core because if you internet browse you should have antivirus too and a quad core takes care of that overhead. Have 8 gb of memory because right now I'm browsing 30+ tabbed Chrome windows + LibreOffice Calc + Acrobat X + Aol Desktop + utorrent and my memory load is 7.64 GB! If you had 4 gb on this your browsing would be way slower with hd caching of web pages.

Here's a system I was contemplating of building. It should be ideal for you...
ASRock 770 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard 76.99
AMD Phenom 840 Desktop Processor 109.99
1 2TB Hd 86.7
LG 12X Blu Ray Burner Fry's Sale 97.41
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 8-8-8-24 119.99
XFX Core Edition PRO450W (P1-450S-XXB9) 450W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE PS 54.99
GIGABYTE GV-N550OC-1GI GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 139.99
Coolermaster Elite 430 case + 1 extra fan MicroCenter Sale 51.57
Windows 7 Prof SP1 Newegg Sale 129.99
2 sale CoolerMaster 120mm case fans 13.15 Total build cost $880.77

Parts were from sales and Newegg.com

Last edited by Jesse69; 05-14-2011 at 09:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers