U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 12:35 AM

1,955 posts, read 9,665,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
You should get at least a quad core because if you internet browse you should have antivirus too and a quad core takes care of that overhead. Have 8 gb of memory because right now I'm browsing 30+ tabbed Chrome windows + LibreOffice Calc + Acrobat X + Aol Desktop + utorrent and my memory load is 7.64 GB! If you had 4 gb on this your browsing would be way slower with hd caching of web pages.
I'm really feeling your usage isn't typical ... 30+ tabs?! How much stuff are you looking at?! Or should I not even ask ... ?

Quote:
Here's a system I was contemplating of building. It should be ideal for you...
<snip>
Total build cost $880.77
You know how I sorta chewed you out in another thread about budgets? Yeah, I feel the need to do so again.

$500. The OP said between $400-500 ... so WHY would you think that it's ideal to spend 76% MORE than what their budget allows for?! ... plus they need to build it themselves, which not everyone is comfortable doing? Understand that when someone starts out with a computer they saw at a store, chances are they're not about to DIY.

With that aside, and back to the OP - in that sub-$500 budget, is a monitor needed too, or are you fine with what you're currently using?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 10:02 AM

11,596 posts, read 11,591,048 times
Lots of good stuff, advise here. Thanks to all for your contributions.

Quote:
With that aside, and back to the OP - in that sub-$500 budget, is a monitor needed too, or are you fine with what you're currently using?
Yeah, I already have good peripherals all around. A Tower is all I need.

Re the HP someone suggested, my current computer is an HP and I've had the HD replaced three times already. The original was an I-Star or Deskstar and the repair person joked that they are known in the computer world as Deathstars. I understand why as it blew out on me about a year after I bought the HP. Right after the warranty expired, of course. I sometimes think the manufactures have this down to a science---the computer going on the blink a day after the warranty expires, that is.

I'm probably going to go with a Dell. I like that 3-year warranty and it seems to get generally good reviews. I'll get it from BB though (choke) ONLY because they offer 18-month interest free financing.

PS Are Gateways any good?

Old 05-15-2011, 11:54 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,415,348 times
I ordered a Dell last March, and it has very little, if any extra crap that doesn't normally come with Windows 7 anyway. There was one Dell installed "dashboard" which was easily disabled, but other than that I haven't seen any ads or other annoyances like I've seen on some store computers.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:25 PM

28,631 posts, read 40,609,166 times
Another option if you have access to one is Costco. Selection can be minimal, but pricing is usually competitive and their support and warranty is awesome!!

$400 and $500 Brand???

Costco - Computers - Desktops

Above your stated price point, but just for comparison:

Old 05-15-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Another option if you have access to one is Costco. Selection can be minimal, but pricing is usually competitive and their support and warranty is awesome!!

$400 and $500 Brand???

Above your stated price point, but just for comparison:

Checked it out. Never heard of ZT and out of eight reviews two were devastating, but the price is good and Costco has an outstanding return policy according to the two negative reviewers. Problems is if all they carry is ZT then what do you trade it in for?

Quote:
I ordered a Dell last March, and it has very little, if any extra crap that doesn't normally come with Windows 7 anyway. There was one Dell installed "dashboard" which was easily disabled, but other than that I haven't seen any ads or other annoyances like I've seen on some store computers.
That's another reason I lean heavily towards a Dell. No crapware and a three-year warranty.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:58 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,665,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
That's another reason I lean heavily towards a Dell. No crapware and a three-year warranty.
The 3-year warranty is only standard on some (like the Optiplex business lineup); many come standard with just the 1-year warranty.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:22 PM

One rule I always follow and always told clients to follow: Never buy the bottom of the line of any brand. Always move up at least one level.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Checked it out. Never heard of ZT and out of eight reviews two were devastating, but the price is good and Costco has an outstanding return policy according to the two negative reviewers. Problems is if all they carry is ZT then what do you trade it in for?

I'd guess ZT is the Costco brand built by ZT Systems | Precision-Fit Data Center Server Solutions, Desktop and Laptop PCs, or just what Costco has decided to carry as a low price point computer. I would think that if you returned it to Costco for a refund you'd then have that money to spend on a different PC, but you never know...

Edit: It looks like they give refunds.

"This was my second ZT computer I have purchased. The first work perfect. Not so this one. The HDMI port would not work with the new COSTCO monitor. Only VGA worked initially for a few hours and it finally failed also. ZT Systems support was unable to make repairs to the drivers, etc. I was hoping they could perform an on-line diagnostic test of the card and drivers. Two technicians later they recommended returning the computer for a refund. The local store made a prompt and friendly refund. I was disappointed but satisfied."

And ZT supplies free lifetime support. Wish I knew more about them.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 05-15-2011 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 05-16-2011, 09:22 AM

11,832 posts, read 13,968,972 times
Quote:
My understanding is that the manufacturers tie this crapware up with necessary running components to keep novices from removing it themselves, thus cheating the geeks out of a not-so-deserved $100, the clever little SOB's!
Just wanted to comment on this: not true. Removing McAffee, AOL, Gmaes by Wild Tangent or any of that other crap will not impact your windows installation.
Microsoft wouldn't allow them to cripple your install thereby impacting your experience with Windows7.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Just wanted to comment on this: not true. Removing McAffee, AOL, Gmaes by Wild Tangent or any of that other crap will not impact your windows installation.
Microsoft wouldn't allow them to cripple your install thereby impacting your experience with Windows7.
Just tying my original statement to an experience I recall having: I tried to uninstall a "shop for HP supplies" crapware in my current HP and a warning window came on saying "unstalling this program may harm other components in your computer. Are you sure you want to uninstall this?" Naturally, I clicked "no". It may have been a bluff, but who wants to take chances if they don't know what in the heck they're doing?

Quote:
The 3-year warranty is only standard on some (like the Optiplex business lineup); many come standard with just the 1-year warranty.
Thanks for pointing that out. My choice is a bottom model, but I will take tek's advice and buy the next one up. I think that one is $499. Their bottom model at BB is $399 but it is a dual-core pentium i3. Don't know how they can sell a decent processor like that for $400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers