U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:04 AM

11,596 posts, read 11,591,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
There are 13800 Youtube videos on "how to build a pc" ... watch, learn, and build and repair your own PCs! Then when they get outdated in 3 years time you'd know how to upgrade them as time goes by.

YouTube - how to build a pc

Look at the Newegg videos --
YouTube - Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 1 - Choosing Your Components

My i7 920 rig got outdated and I upgraded the video card, memory when it got cheap, power supply for sli, and 2 extra hds. All this since Nov 2008 when I bought it. The cpu is still fast enough for everything I do, so this $300 cpu sure has been future proof for me... but I love power! Gee, 2.5 years and this rig got outdated and I had to do upgrades!
Yeah, it'd be interesting to at least try. I've got the skeletons of the Compaque and the pavillion to work with. Far as games go, hell I'm 60. My serious gaming days are quite a ways behind me. I wasn't even very good at Clue or Monopoly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 07:16 AM

11,734 posts, read 11,311,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
..... and ignore Jesse69... he clearly has reading comprehension issues.
Truer words were never spoken.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:46 AM

11,832 posts, read 13,968,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Just tying my original statement to an experience I recall having: I tried to uninstall a "shop for HP supplies" crapware in my current HP and a warning window came on saying "unstalling this program may harm other components in your computer. Are you sure you want to uninstall this?" Naturally, I clicked "no". It may have been a bluff, but who wants to take chances if they don't know what in the heck they're doing?
Yea it may harm other compnenets that HP installed on your computer. That means it is tied to something else that HP installed on your PC.
These errors can safely be ignored when uninstalling bloatware.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 AM

1,955 posts, read 9,665,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Looks very interesting. I wasn't aware of the Vostro line, I guess because BB doesn't carry it. A few bad reviews on it but overall, most were satisfied. Wonder how they can give away a FS monitor along with it at $400! I will check it out. Thanks.
Nothing in life is free, so no, they're not giving them away. I'm sure their accountants have ran the numbers, so don't worry about them. Worry about what the bottom line is for you instead.

Quote:
When my brother ran his computer business he hated Dell because he could hardly beat them in computer prices and builds.
This.

Quote:
I've built my own computers since 1995, and none of them have broken down. The only computer stuff that broke on me was a 16gb usb stick and the infamous Seagate 1.5tb hd. Plus a Samsung 1tb drive from my NAS.
Soooo ... you have had stuff break down on you. Which means the "none" is not true. What other issues have you had? No seized fans? No power supplies flaking out causing all sorts of odd issues? No failed optical drives? Tell the truth. 16 years of experience, no computer geek would've had a "none" record.

FWIW, I've been working on PCs since a 10MHz turbo XT was considered fast, when memory was individually socketed, when CGA 320x200 with 4 colors was WOW, and when a cheap PC was under $2000. I've definitely seen my share of computer issues.

Jesse, you're being chewed out again for ignoring what someone else's needs are, and still focusing on your own's. $705 is cheaper than $881, but that's still $205 ABOVE budget.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:37 AM

4,791 posts, read 13,329,995 times
The computers I built - nothing in them have ever broke. The Antec USB external hard drive and my NAS - the hard drives went bad. And my 16 gb usb stick broke.

I spec'd out what a minimum configuration computer should be - 8gb of memory so you can browse tons of web pages. 2 tb hd so you can store lots of pictures, videos, movies, files, data, and load lots of software... future proof enough so you don't need an additional hd. A good video card for accelerated web graphics and dual monitors. A 3 core CPU to handle web browsing, system tasks, and antivirus at the same time without slowing down web browsing... could possibly be unlocked to 4 cores by the motherboard.

Yeah, if I worked at Best Buy I'd be convincing people to buy more powerful computers.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:50 AM

1,955 posts, read 9,665,693 times
Quote:
The computers I built - nothing in them have ever broke.
I still find that hard to believe. Unless you've only built like 5 computers (or less) ... then it's statistics.

Quote:
I spec'd out what a minimum configuration computer should be ...
And the OP said what a budget should be. So why are you ignoring that aspect?

Again, what you're specifying fits your needs, but that doesn't mean it's a good fit the needs of other people. Again, that's like telling someone they need a car that'd do 190mph ... even though all they need is a car that gets them around the city at 35mph.

FWIW, my main laptop has a 500gb HDD ... and I still have 430gb free. Not every one games, not everyone torrents, not everyone has their music collection, etc., so having 2TB of storage is NOT a basic requirement like you think.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:03 AM

11,734 posts, read 11,311,179 times
Quote:
The computers I built - nothing in them have ever broke. The Antec USB external hard drive and my NAS - the hard drives went bad. And my 16 gb usb stick broke.

I spec'd out what a minimum configuration computer should be - 8gb of memory so you can browse tons of web pages. 2 tb hd so you can store lots of pictures, videos, movies, files, data, and load lots of software... future proof enough so you don't need an additional hd. A good video card for accelerated web graphics and dual monitors. A 3 core CPU to handle web browsing, system tasks, and antivirus at the same time without slowing down web browsing... could possibly be unlocked to 4 cores by the motherboard.

Yeah, if I worked at Best Buy I'd be convincing people to buy more powerful computers.
Listen close, Jesse. That is pure, 100% BS. Most people do not browse tons of web pages at the same time. ONE browser page is the norm. A FEW people open multiple browsers or multiple tabs, but that is NOT the minimum most people need. Your needs are NOT average.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:57 PM

3,743 posts, read 11,466,059 times
Don't even get me started on the "one large hard drive" strategy...

Old 05-17-2011, 04:50 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,415,348 times
I have a 600gb hard drive and currently have 526gb free, and I have, what seems like to me, a ton of pictures and other things on it. I can't imagine how long it would take me to fill up even 100gb, let alone 600, let alone a terabyte! Also, I have 4gb of RAM and a entry level video card and it has been more than enough. I'm no gamer of course, but I've never seen this computer even slightly hesitate in any way. The only thing that's even remotely slow about it is the internet connection, which has more to do with my pathetic service provider than the computer. I'd say for the average user even my computer would be far more than needed in most cases, and it's certainly nothing special. For example, I currently have open, just for the heck of it:

Google Chrome
Microsoft Word
Photoshop
Chess Titans
A basic CAD program
Windows Media Player
Google Earth
Stellarium

And none of those programs appear to be even slightly slower than normal. Task Manager says my CPU usage is 16% and memory usage is 1.72gb. I guess it depends on the user, but normally I would probably never have this many applications open at once and my basic computer isn't even struggling.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:32 PM

28,631 posts, read 40,609,166 times
20yrsinBranson mentioned having someone in a local shop build it for you. I agree, if.

If you one.

If they have a warranty that's better than buying from a big box.

If they have been around a while and are known to be reliable.

Building your own can be fun - and frustrating. But the warranties are on the individual parts, not the computer as a whole.

I find your experience with HP (Compaq) to be interesting. We have three laptops, two Pavilions and one Compaq. Never had a single problem of note. I'm logged on now with my newest HP, my old one gets used once a month to archive files for a client.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers