Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:22 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Just got back from BB after trying to negotiate a deal on a computer, laptop or tower. Latest wrinkle: BB removes HALF the adware on most of these computers; you have to get their $99.99 'setup with restore disk' plan to get the other half removed.

Two extended warranties now: $119 for 2-year "hardware" coverage; $179 for 2-year "software" coverage! Total on a lousy $299 POS e-***** mini-tower : $729!

The ONLY saving grace in this otherwise disgraceful marketing scam: 18-month interest-free financing.

Does anyone know an honest reputable store where they will sell a decent PC with a decent warranty at a decedent price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 08:27 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Mistake #1: Going to BB for a computer

Mistake #2: Trying to "negotiate a deal" with anyone there

Why can't you remove the crapware yourself?

Old 05-13-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Mistake #1: Going to BB for a computer

Mistake #2: Trying to "negotiate a deal" with anyone there

Why can't you remove the crapware yourself?
Not knowledgeable enough. Is it basically just going into "add/remove software" on the control panel? But then I don't know what's what and might remove some important components. My understanding is that the manufacturers tie this crapware up with necessary running components to keep novices from removing it themselves, thus cheating the geeks out of a not-so-deserved $100, the clever little SOB's!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:35 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Whats wrong with Newegg?

Newegg.com - Computer Products, Laptops, Electronics, HDTVs, Digital Cameras, Cellphones and More!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:46 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Not knowledgeable enough. Is it basically just going into "add/remove software" on the control panel? But then I don't know what's what and might remove some important components. My understanding is that the manufacturers tie this crapware up with necessary running components to keep novices from removing it themselves, thus cheating the geeks out of a not-so-deserved $100, the clever little SOB's!
Most of the crapware is pretty obvious. For anything you're not sure of, Google search it before removing it.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:11 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Quote:
Not knowledgeable enough.
Well that's not the fault of the store now, is it?

Quote:
Is it basically just going into "add/remove software" on the control panel?
Yes.

Quote:
But then I don't know what's what and might remove some important components.
Google it.

Quote:
My understanding is that the manufacturers tie this crapware up with necessary running components to keep novices from removing it themselves, thus cheating the geeks out of a not-so-deserved $100, the clever little SOB's!
Manufacturer's preinstall bloatware them because the software companies pay them to put it there.

FWIW, that $300 E-machine (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eMachines+-+Desktop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Celeron%26%23174%3B+Processor+/+2GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive/9974267.p?id=1218204533255&skuId=9974267 - broken link) ... it performs about as well as a 5-year old computer. Which means it's SLOW.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
FWIW, that $300 E-machine[/url] ... it performs about as well as a 5-year old computer. Which means it's SLOW.
Thanks for the heads-up. I had the sneaking suspicion something about it wasn't right, which is part of the reason why I balked.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:44 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Google removal of crapware: Google

I second Newegg for a reliable place to purchase. Not only do they have an excellent review process, their search function is amazing. I have, over the years, bought PCs, laptops, parts, software, etc from them both for personal use and for clients.

Never had a problem. The single time I received a bad RAM chip they covered it without hesitation.

Get past the atom powered computers at the top of the list...

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...Cs&Order=PRICE

Old 05-14-2011, 12:42 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
Quote:

Does anyone know an honest reputable store where they will sell a decent PC with a decent warranty at a decedent price?

Microsoft Signature

Old 05-14-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Google removal of crapware: Google

I second Newegg for a reliable place to purchase. Not only do they have an excellent review process, their search function is amazing. I have, over the years, bought PCs, laptops, parts, software, etc from them both for personal use and for clients.

Never had a problem. The single time I received a bad RAM chip they covered it without hesitation.

Get past the atom powered computers at the top of the list...

Newegg.com - Desktop PCs, Desktop PC Computers, Cheap Desktop PCs, HP Desktop PC, Cheap Desktop Computer
Thanks for that link, Tek. I have saved it to my Fav Places and will reference it when I buy the new rig. I'm just using the on-the-verge-of-going-out HP now and when it does I will buy a lower end $400-500 dual core 4-Gig/500-Gig Dell (most likely) and stay the hell away from HP's and Compaques. I'll judiciously keep away from any and all extended warranties and just take my chances with the manufacturer's 1-year, figuring that since most computers are disposable nowadays because of bad worksmanship anyway, if I get a years use, fine; if I get 2-3 years use w/o problems I struck gold.

I'll also check out Newegg, since it appears to have a good reputation in here. Thanks to all who advised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers