U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 01:44 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,770,787 times

Advertisements

I might have to replace my DSL modem one day. It's a Zoom with no wifi, 4 years old.

I went to bestbuy.com and searched for DSL modem. It displayed tons of wifi routers and no modems.

Do these wifi routers come with a DSL modem?? I thought that if you use wifi, you usually have a DSL modem and a separate wifi router.

Perhaps most people get the DSL modem from their ISPs but then buy their own wifi routers - that would explain the results from the bestbuy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 02:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,343,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Perhaps most people get the DSL modem from their ISPs but then buy their own wifi routers - that would explain the results from the bestbuy.
That's usually what happens. Newegg sells a number of DSL modems that are also routers with wifi so you could combine the functions into one box.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:33 PM

I was also wondering which modem to buy at a store, if I don't want to get the one from the ISP.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I was also wondering which modem to buy at a store, if I don't want to get the one from the ISP.
Any of them *should* work if you can get the ISP to tell you how to configure it although modern DSL modems are pretty good at detecting the type of DSL you have. We have two phone companies around here, Verizon and AT&T, so the Best Buys here sell two different DSL modems, one for each provider, and they're labeled as such.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Any of them *should* work if you can get the ISP to tell you how to configure it although modern DSL modems are pretty good at detecting the type of DSL you have. We have two phone companies around here, Verizon and AT&T, so the Best Buys here sell two different DSL modems, one for each provider, and they're labeled as such.
I guess those two modems are not listed on their website.

I use a smaller ISP which is not one of the two you mentioned.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I guess those two modems are not listed on their website.

I use a smaller ISP which is not one of the two you mentioned.
In that case, you might want to call them and ask if they have an approved modem list. Odds are any DSL modem from Newegg would work though. You're more likely to get a straight answer from a smaller ISP than one of the big companies where "Robert" reads you a script from India.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:22 PM

I went to bestbuy.com and read the user reviews of DSL modems by Motorola and Actiontec. They varied from great to horrible. It's scary, it may be safer to order replacements from the ISP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers