U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 12:23 PM

271 posts, read 849,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Well, actually many of today's devices function as a modem, router, switch and wireless access point at the same time. Right now, I have such a device, but my ISP supplied it with the routing and the wireless parts disabled. They supplied me with a batch of fixed IP addresses, so I just plugged in my router and configured the WAN port to match their specs. If I chose to do so, I could hook up 3 more computers to the "modem" and run fine as long as I manually configured fixed IP addresses on them that fall within the set I was assigned. This is the first time I've seen as ISP that did not require some kind of authentication with protocols to access their network, lock DOCSIS or PPPoE. My IP addresses are all that will work on my connection.
May be off topic a bit but it is annoying that some (all?) telco ISPs, providing DSL, require customers to lease/rent the modem/router rather than allowing them to purchase it outright or even better just buy their own (maybe from a list of approved models or standards?). These devices are probably worth $50 or so but they 'rent' them for $5-7 (?) a month for years. Near as I can tell, they don't replace/upgrade them unless the old ones die. A customer might choose to upgrade/change based on some criteria like better reliability, management/reporting or a tech improvement like faster wireless.

Anyone have experience at this? Can the customer push the issue and just buy their own? Is this right to restrict the device to a telco supplied one protected by FCC telco tariff? Is it just company 'policy' and a legacy of the old ATT monopoly days?

In my experience cable companies can/do allow customers to purchase their own either from them or another vendor with appropriate specs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 01:26 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,654,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyz View Post
May be off topic a bit but it is annoying that some (all?) telco ISPs, providing DSL, require customers to lease/rent the modem/router rather than allowing them to purchase it outright or even better just buy their own (maybe from a list of approved models or standards?). These devices are probably worth $50 or so but they 'rent' them for $5-7 (?) a month for years.
At any time I can bring my modem back FOR ANY REASON and get the latest and greatest, no questions asked... No matter what the cause my ISP will replace my rented modem for no charge....

Neither of the above statements is true when you purchase your modem.

If one suspects they have a problem with their purchased modem can that person who owns their modem swap it out with another?

Yup, but only if they purchase a backup modem.

My rental fee of $5.00 a month for my modem is chump-change..... I'm sure one can purchase a maintenance contract for their modem, but that negates the savings factor.......

Old 05-18-2011, 08:01 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,306,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyz View Post
May be off topic a bit but it is annoying that some (all?) telco ISPs, providing DSL, require customers to lease/rent the modem/router rather than allowing them to purchase it outright or even better just buy their own (maybe from a list of approved models or standards?).
my isp required us to purchase our modem, although i think we got some type of rebate to offset the cost.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:25 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
At any time I can bring my modem back FOR ANY REASON and get the latest and greatest, no questions asked... No matter what the cause my ISP will replace my rented modem for no charge....

Neither of the above statements is true when you purchase your modem.

If one suspects they have a problem with their purchased modem can that person who owns their modem swap it out with another?

Yup, but only if they purchase a backup modem.

My rental fee of $5.00 a month for my modem is chump-change..... I'm sure one can purchase a maintenance contract for their modem, but that negates the savings factor.......
It's a risk analysis. I rented a cable modem (draft docsis) from 1996(we were lucky to be part of the pilot program) to 1997. Then picked one up for $100 (docsis 1.0 at circuit city, it was black friday, lol) and used it until 2003. Sold it on $60 and picked up a docsis 2.0 for $60. Still have that docsis 2.0 modem without any issues. Looking to upgrade to 3.0 at some point.

So from 1997 to 2011, my cost was $100. Sure, I don't have a 3.0, but I have saved enough to afford one if I cared to purchase one. At $5/month it would have cost you $840. That a delta of $740. Not a whole lot of money over 14 years, but when you're discussing savings, it's a 86% savings. No maintenance contract, but I could pick up 10 replacement modems in the amount of money saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers