U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2011, 08:31 PM
 
Location: USA
870 posts, read 847,458 times
Reputation: 288

Advertisements

The keyboard of my Acer laptop shifts letters from lower case to upper case whenever my typing finger just happens to bush or glance against certain keys. Which keys? Beats me. The pattern seems to be random. Here one day. There the other. Everywhere sometimes. Depends on its malevolent mood I guess.


The Acer keyboard screen interface ceases to work on too frequent occasions. You type and nothing! Complete non-response. That requires a reboot. Again what triggers this anomaly is a mystery.

Also, if you attempt to highlight text on certain websites quickly the screen blanches semi white and ceases to respond to any curser input. Waiting for it to "recover?" can last up to thirty or forty seconds.

Neither will the Acer accept my former Cakewalk, Chessmaster, or any of the other software that worked just fine with my Compaq Presario. The Acer responds with software/hardware incompatibility messages.


Had stuff on floppies? The Acer Laptop doesn't provide a floppy drive. So you will have to add one as a peripheral if you had a lot of important stuff on floppies such as novels, or short stories.


The supersensitive touch-pad is so hard to control that it is practically worthless. In fact, if left on unintentionally it will screw up any typing you do by randomly flip-flopping portions of what you write from bottom to top to the middle of your composition. I didn't know what was going on for a month and was begining to climb the walls. Then I found out that you have to deactivate the infernal thing.

The sound ranges from barely audible to just audible. In fact without a headset many of the films that you try to view aren't worth it since you will be struggling to hear what the heck is going on. Even with a headset the sound is lousy and you might STILL be struggling to hear what's going on. The strange thing about it is that commercials come through loud and clear! You go figure!


Also, CD music sounds Micky-Mouse thin because the base is practically non-existent. Certainly not up to par with my stereo Compaq Presario which could veritably blast you out of your seat.

Reading onscreen text is also problematic. It is displayed almost microscopically and you have to set it at 150% magnification. However, it will shift back to microscopic without warning forcing you to be constantly having to reset it to 150 magnification again!
It also goes back to microscopic text on each reboot.

The password to start your computer which is supposed to prevent anyone from starting who doesn't know it is prominently displayed right above the sign in slot. In other words anyone can start the computer because your password is made readily available to them. Efforts at erasing the ever-present password from above the sign-in slot have proven useless. Strange?

You figure it out-I can't!

BTW
My previous computer, a 1995 Compaq Presario had none of these problems. This Acer laptop model is the Aspire 7540-1317


Wanna good headache?


Buy it!

Last edited by Radrook; 05-17-2011 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2011, 08:34 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
11,707 posts, read 11,301,056 times
Reputation: 7686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
The keyboard of my Acer laptop shifts letters from lower case to upper case whenever my typing finger just happens to bush or glance against certain keys. Which keys? Beats me. The pattern seems to be random. Here one day. There the other. Everywhere sometimes. Depends on its malevolent mood I guess.


The Acer keyboard screen interface ceases to work on too frequent occasions. You type and nothing! Complete non-response. That requires a reboot. Again what triggers this anomaly is a mystery.

Also, if you attempt to highlight text on certain websites quickly the screen blanches semi white and ceases to respond to any curser input. Waiting for it to "recover?" can last up to thirty or forty seconds.

Neither will the Acer accept my former Cakewalk, Chessmaster, or any of the other software that worked just fine with my Compaq Presario. The Acer responds with software/hardware incompatibility messages.


Had stuff on floppies? The Acer Laptop doesn't provide a floppy drive. So you will have to add one as a peripheral if you had a lot of important stuff on floppies such as novels, or short stories.


The supersensitive touch-pad is so hard to control that it is practically worthless. In fact, if left on unintentionally it will screw up any typing you do by randomly flip-flopping portions of what you write from bottom to top to the middle of your composition. I didn't know what was going on for a month and was begining to climb the walls. Then I found out that you have to deactivate the infernal thing.

The sound ranges from barely audible to just audible. In fact without a headset many of the films that you try to view aren't worth it since you will be struggling to hear what the heck is going on. Even with a headset the sound is lousy and you might STILL be struggling to hear what's going on. The strange thing about it is that commercials come through loud and clear! You go figure!


Also, CD music sounds Micky-Mouse thin because the base is practically non-existent. Certainly not up to par with my stereo Compaq Presario which could veritably blast you out of your seat.

Reading onscreen text is also problematic. It is displayed almost microscopically and you have to set it at 150% magnification. However, it will shift back to microscopic without warning forcing you to be constantly having to reset it to 150 magnification again!
It also goes back to microscopic text on each reboot.

The password to start your computer which is supposed to prevent anyone from starting who doesn't know it is prominently displayed right above the sign in slot. In other words anyone can start the computer because your password is made readily available to them. Efforts at erasing the ever-present password from above the sign-in slot have proven useless. Strange?

You figure it out-I can't!

BTW
My previous computer, a 1995 Compaq Presario had none of these problems. This Acer laptop model is the Aspire 7540-1317


Wanna good headache?


Buy it!
You may have some legitimate complaints about your keyboard. I just can't say about that.

Issues with web sites have nothing to do with the brand of the computer.

Your previous programs probably ran on a different operating system. They probably ran fine on Windows 95, which is so old it would be very difficult to get many programs to run on Windows XP. Many new computers come with Windows 7 premium 64-bit edition. The fact that your 32 bit programs do not work on a 64 bit operating system is not Acer's fault. If it is a 16 bit program problem, you can fix it by creating a virtual machine (still not Acer's fault).

Not computer comes with a floppy drive any more. Don't blame Acer for the fact that the computer industry has advanced beyond the capacity of floppy disks. You can buy a USB floppy drive if you want.

You can adjust the sensitivity of your touch pad in the Control Panel.

I never expected a laptop to have good sound, but I've not noticed any particular difference after using Dell, HP, Lenovo, Compaq and Acer laptops. Maybe it's just me. Commercials are often louder than programming.

The only explanation I can imagine for your password issue is that your username and password are the same thing. From the description, it would seem that the solution is to simply change your password. Again, this happens within Microsoft Windows and could occur on any computer and thus has nothing to do with the fact that it is an Acer.

In general, it sounds like you want to blame Acer for problems that they did not create. It's OK if you don't understand the issues, but it is unfair to blame the manufacturer of the hardware for software issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 08:58 AM
 
Location: USA
870 posts, read 847,458 times
Reputation: 288
[LEFT]
Quote:
You may have some legitimate complaints about your keyboard. I just can't say about that.
It's probably just me since Acer is a fine outstanding company and would never manufacture a laptop with such horrendous defects.


Quote:
Issues with web sites have nothing to do with the brand of the computer.
The issue of screen whiteout and freezing only emerge if I use the mouse too quickly when highlighting text. That's the only causality I can detect. It doesn't seem to be website related.


Quote:
Your previous programs probably ran on a different operating system. They probably ran fine on Windows 95, which is so old it would be very difficult to get many programs to run on Windows XP. Many new computers come with Windows 7 premium 64-bit edition. The fact that your 32 bit programs do not work on a 64 bit operating system is not Acer's fault. If it is a 16 bit program problem, you can fix it by creating a virtual machine (still not Acer's fault).
Thanks for the info and advice. How do I create a virtual machine?

Quote:
Not computer comes with a floppy drive any more. Don't blame Acer for the fact that the computer industry has advanced beyond the capacity of floppy disks. You can buy a USB floppy drive if you want.
You are right. Absence of floppy disk drive is not Acer's fault and the buyers who were users of older computers should know by now. Those who didn't know should just buy a peripheral. Common sense!

Quote:
You can adjust the sensitivity of your touch pad in the Control Panel.

I tried that and the results were--for me of course-unsatisfactory. But then again that might just be a personal quirk of mine and not Acer's fault. However, a warning about the flip-flopping of text would have been appreciated. Then again why should Acer post a warning about something that is common to all laptops?

Quote:
I never expected a laptop to have good sound, but I've not noticed any particular difference after using Dell, HP, Lenovo, Compaq and Acer laptops. Maybe it's just me. Commercials are often louder than programming.
Well, the people who were advertising it on TV in a effort to sell it were boasting about the fine sound quality. But again that's not Acer's fault since they can't control every-single one of its representatives. There are always unscrupulous individuals who will exaggerated just to get a commission or make their job more secure. Part of human nature I guess.

BTW
Sure, commercials are always louder than regular programs. But when you have been struggling to hear or disappointed with sound quality and suddenly this commercial comes on with excellent sound you tend to get a little annoyed sometimes. Again not Acer's fault since all buyers should know by now that sound quality isn't good in laptops as you pointed out.

Quote:
The only explanation I can imagine for your password issue is that your username and password are the same thing. From the description, it would seem that the solution is to simply change your password. Again, this happens within Microsoft Windows and could occur on any computer and thus has nothing to do with the fact that it is an Acer.
My user name and passwords are different.

Quote:
In general, it sounds like you want to blame Acer for problems that they did not create. It's OK if you don't understand the issues, but it is unfair to blame the manufacturer of the hardware for software issues.
No, I can't say that I'm trying to blame Acer. My apologies for giving that impression. After all, one can't blame a company if one of it's computers is behaving in an unsatisfactory way since those flaws might be common to all laptops. So singling out Acer as special in that area is really unjustified. As you pointed out-the most that can be said is that Acer is simply part of the pack.[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Pomona
1,955 posts, read 9,662,234 times
Reputation: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Neither.

For your needs go to Dell Outlet | Refurbished Computers, Laptops, PCs & More | Dell and buy refurbished, scratch and dent, etc. You'll save tons of money.
It's $30 difference between Costco and Dell Outlet for the same configuration (i5-480M/6gb ram/640gb HDD). So no, you won't save tons of money.

The difference is a lot larger when both are regular price. However, Costco has it at $200 off already ... not so much of a difference anymore. The same applies with even Dell themselves ... I've had occasions in which the new computer is selling for less than the refurbished because it's on special or there's a discount or something.

Buy from Costco. Automatic 2 year warranty included, and tech support ... for $30 (or $17 net if you're an Executive Member with the 2% rewards), it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 10:42 AM
 
48,516 posts, read 85,078,787 times
Reputation: 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Just pray you never need technical support/customer service.

20yrsinBranson
Yep Dell use to have great technical suport but that chnaged years ago.That is all I use to own but the last one wqas pretty bad. HP is much better really;whch isn't saying alot of computer technical support. i guess they had to cut sonewhere with the reduced cost of computers;so time competetion o price does that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 11:08 AM
 
28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times
Reputation: 37262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
It's $30 difference between Costco and Dell Outlet for the same configuration (i5-480M/6gb ram/640gb HDD). So no, you won't save tons of money.

The difference is a lot larger when both are regular price. However, Costco has it at $200 off already ... not so much of a difference anymore. The same applies with even Dell themselves ... I've had occasions in which the new computer is selling for less than the refurbished because it's on special or there's a discount or something.

Buy from Costco. Automatic 2 year warranty included, and tech support ... for $30 (or $17 net if you're an Executive Member with the 2% rewards), it's worth it.
I second these statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Southern California
30,935 posts, read 17,192,668 times
Reputation: 54016
Quote:
Originally Posted by southseeker View Post
From a pure spec standpoint I agree, but to be honest, Dell customer service sucks and acer is no better.

I wouldn't settle for those just yet. Expand your options a little: like HP lenovo.
Before IBM became Lenovo, their laptop computers were very reliable. I don't know if the quality has gone down since becoming Lenovo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 83,900,978 times
Reputation: 17566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
It's $30 difference between Costco and Dell Outlet for the same configuration (i5-480M/6gb ram/640gb HDD). So no, you won't save tons of money.

The difference is a lot larger when both are regular price. However, Costco has it at $200 off already ... not so much of a difference anymore. The same applies with even Dell themselves ... I've had occasions in which the new computer is selling for less than the refurbished because it's on special or there's a discount or something.

Buy from Costco. Automatic 2 year warranty included, and tech support ... for $30 (or $17 net if you're an Executive Member with the 2% rewards), it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I second these statements.

Sure you're bouncing one Costco computer against one Dell computer. Costco had 11 Dell laptops for sale. What about the other 100s of computers with umpteen different combinations of HDD and memory and screen size for sale at Dell?

Here are 724 laptops from which you can filter to a computer configuration perfect for you.

Dell Factory Outlet

Also, do I not pay tax on a Dell Computer sold online vs tax at Costco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 PM
 
2,182 posts, read 4,705,982 times
Reputation: 1206
Lenovo and Asus make great laptops. Here's one around your budget:

Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Z560 (0914-4GU) NoteBook Intel Core i5 480M(2.66GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce 310M

And an Acer with AMD/ATI flavoring:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215037
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Tucson for awhile longer
8,874 posts, read 13,806,996 times
Reputation: 29048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
... Buy from Costco. Automatic 2 year warranty included, and tech support ... for $30 (or $17 net if you're an Executive Member with the 2% rewards), it's worth it.
I agree. You bypass the manuf. service and you can deal directly with the Costco Concierge, a customer service phone line that responds to questions about all electronics sold at Costco. Costco also has a generous return policy, in addition to the extra year of warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top