U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 AM
 
455 posts, read 775,381 times
Reputation: 637

Advertisements

This thread provided copious quantities of lulz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 AM
 
28,648 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Reputation: 37346
I appreciated the revival for the same reason...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2013, 01:23 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,848,547 times
Reputation: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I am still of the opinion that some people should not be allowed to have a computer. Give them a car and a GPS instead...
They couldn't really endanger others but the same people behind the wheel of a vehicle?
I say: "Keep them on the puter, safer for riders everywhere!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 75,407,931 times
Reputation: 36184
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ But that made me curious if the OP figured it out, by now...
The OP left it alone. By the way, I'm still using a 10-year-old Compaq keyboard that has no key with a windows logo on it, and googling failed to yield any workable suggestions about what combination of keys would duplicate it. I love the keyboard, it weighs about 3 pounds and has a wonderful keystroke feel to it. If I ever spill a slurpy into it, I will order one exactly like it to replace it with.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-18-2013 at 05:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 09:18 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,848,547 times
Reputation: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The OP left it alone. By the way, I'm still using a 10-year-old Compaq keyboard that has no key with a windows logo on it, and googling failed to yield any workable suggestions about what combination of keys would duplicate it. I love the keyboard, it weighs about 3 pounds and has a wonderful keystroke feel to it. If I ever spill a slurpy into it, I will order one exactly like it to replace it with.
If you really need to use the Windows Key for some reason, you could use the online keyboard which has one (Control Panel > Ease of Access > On-screen keyboard) or you could create a shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\osk.exe on your desktop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 75,407,931 times
Reputation: 36184
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
If you really need to use the Windows Key for some reason, you could use the online keyboard which has one (Control Panel > Ease of Access > On-screen keyboard) or you could create a shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\osk.exe on your desktop.
Thanks. Surprisingly enough, that workarouind is not intuitive. I presume people "really need to use the Windows Key", since it is there. My Ease of Access Center does not offer the On-screen keyboard option. As I recall from somewhere, I wound need to download an OSK software. I'm still clunking along with a three-year old Vista, which has not been gee-whizzed for the trendy set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 12:38 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,848,547 times
Reputation: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Thanks. Surprisingly enough, that workarouind is not intuitive. I presume people "really need to use the Windows Key", since it is there. My Ease of Access Center does not offer the On-screen keyboard option. As I recall from somewhere, I wound need to download an OSK software. I'm still clunking along with a three-year old Vista, which has not been gee-whizzed for the trendy set.
I agree, it is not intuitive at all but I still wanted to offer as a suggestion (free of charge).
I am surprised Vista doesn't offer On-screen keyboard (osk.exe), that is odd.
I attached both the XP and the 7 version, see if you can open and run either one (Windows 7 can run XP version but not the other way around).
Ultimately, getting a new keyboard that has the Windows Key would be the ideal thing.
Attached Files
File Type: zip osk_7.zip (275.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: zip osk_XP.zip (68.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 03-20-2013 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 02:12 PM
 
1,009 posts, read 1,562,645 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Thanks. Surprisingly enough, that workarouind is not intuitive. I presume people "really need to use the Windows Key", since it is there. My Ease of Access Center does not offer the On-screen keyboard option. As I recall from somewhere, I wound need to download an OSK software. I'm still clunking along with a three-year old Vista, which has not been gee-whizzed for the trendy set.
it's not intuitive to have a keyboard with missing keys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 05:23 PM
 
10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
Reputation: 10244
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
it's not intuitive to have a keyboard with missing keys
The keyboard doesn't have missing keys, it has all the keys it originally shipped with, thus none are missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,339 posts, read 20,385,107 times
Reputation: 8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I am surprised Vista doesn't offer On-screen keyboard (osk.exe), that is odd.
Vista does offer the On-Screen-Keyboard. I have used it many times when I was running Vista. The other poster just doesn't know how to find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:49 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top