U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:13 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,562,198 times

Advertisements

can you use autohotkey to simulate a win key press?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 AM

42,663 posts, read 75,390,360 times
Yes, in Vista, using the start-button search, there is osk.exe. The keyboard has a Windows key, but clicking it does nothing. Which suggests that buying a physical keyboard with a Windows key would be an equally futile gesture.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 AM

13,327 posts, read 20,377,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, in Vista, using the start-button search, there is osk.exe. The keyboard has a Windows key, but clicking it does nothing. Which suggests that buying a physical keyboard with a Windows key would be an equally futile gesture.
How do you come to that conclusion? Perhaps the keyboard you have is defective? Maybe a new one will work? Maybe there's something wrong with a driver for keyboard?

Old 03-26-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
How do you come to that conclusion? Perhaps the keyboard you have is defective? Maybe a new one will work? Maybe there's something wrong with a driver for keyboard?
By clicking the key (which I can do in OSK). With On screen keyboard (which functions normally in all other applications) I can click the Windows button once, with absolutely no effect, except that the key remains lit. I can double-click it, with exactly the same result as clicking the Start button once -- it opens the Start menu.

The Start menu can be opened with one click of the Start button. It can be opened with two clicks of the Windows key, so I fail to see how that is a useful feature, and it does not wash over me with a compelling sense that I am missing something essendial by having a keyboard pre-dating the amazing Windows key.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:08 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,681,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
By clicking the key (which I can do in OSK). With On screen keyboard (which functions normally in all other applications) I can click the Windows button once, with absolutely no effect, except that the key remains lit. I can double-click it, with exactly the same result as clicking the Start button once -- it opens the Start menu.

The Start menu can be opened with one click of the Start button. It can be opened with two clicks of the Windows key, so I fail to see how that is a useful feature, and it does not wash over me with a compelling sense that I am missing something essendial by having a keyboard pre-dating the amazing Windows key.
With a normal keyboard the start menu opens with a single click.

If you use the computer with a mouse in your hand all day, then you probably won't see the benefit. If you spend a lot of time typing, and prefer to stay on the keyboard, then it's a great time saver.

Win+R = Run
Win+D = Show desktop
Win+E = Launch Windows Explorer
Win+F = Find

Vista and Win 7:
Win+ type anything = search the start menu / machine. m

In Windows 7:
Win+number restores or launches from the Super Bar
Win+arrow keys moves / snaps a window between monitors, or monitors halves

For me it's one of the more important keys on the keyboard, and I wouldn't own a keyboard without it. It's location on a laptop keyboard is part of the criteria I use to select a laptop (and has been for 10 years)

Old 03-26-2013, 04:50 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,562,198 times
I use it quite a lot, and almost never to open the start menu. It's handy.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:18 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,994 times
I guess I am not the only one who utilizes these key combos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Win+R = Run
Win+D = Show desktop
Win+E = Launch Windows Explorer

Win+F = Find

Vista and Win 7:
Win+ type anything = search the start menu / machine. m

In Windows 7:
Win+number restores or launches from the Super Bar
Win+arrow keys moves / snaps a window between monitors, or monitors halves

For me it's one of the more important keys on the keyboard, and I wouldn't own a keyboard without it. It's location on a laptop keyboard is part of the criteria I use to select a laptop (and has been for 10 years)
Another key combos I often use:
ALT+ Left/Right Arrow Keys: to go back and forward in Windows Explorer or your browser
ALT+F4: Close the active (open) window/app
Alt+Home: Browser Home Page
Alt+Tab: switch from one running app to another
CTRL+Home/End: Scroll all the way to top/bottom (document, Outlook, web page)
CTRL+A/C/X/V/Z: Select All/Copy/Cut/Paste/Undo

Especially when copy/pasting a word which is also the name of a web site, I simply do a CTRL+ENTER afterward which puts the "www." at the beginning and ".com" at the end.
So, just type google in the address bar of your browser then do a CTRL + ENTER and it loads Google
For .net address SHIFT+ENTER
For .org it is CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
Once you get the hang of it, you can actually type/paste the name of a site even in a Windows Explorer window and do a CTRL+ENTER and the site opens up. It can really speed things up.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:47 AM

11,734 posts, read 11,311,179 times
Is it a real measure of "geekitude" if you know and use Windows key combinations in everyday life?

(Raising hand over here.)

Old 03-27-2013, 12:44 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Is it a real measure of "geekitude" if you know and use Windows key combinations in everyday life?

(Raising hand over here.)
Funny thing is, I will probably never forget them yet I keep forgetting the stupid 3-digit combination on my bike's lock! Sign of getting old and/or slipping mind?

Old 03-17-2015, 11:58 AM

Update -- Well, I received out of the blue a Reputation Point for this thread, bringing it back to my attention, so I thought I'd bring y'all up to date.

I now have a new laptop, with a Windows Key on the keyboard. Over three months, I have used it exactly once -- to open the on-screen magnifier. And to close it. I also have a "Fn" key, next to the Windows Key, which might be unique to Dell, which ships without a user's manual (as do all computers, apparently), but it is color-coded, so its use is intuitive..

Maybe some users could suggest their favorite ways of using this Magic Key to open up Oz-like vistas of computering that I don't know about. Just pressing the Windows Key does exactly the same thing as Ctl-Esc.

Also, reference to my original question, I have not been "locked", but after ten minutes of inactiivity, my laptop locks itself, and displays a screen with a flowery logo in the center, and pressing "Enter" turns off a little icon in the lower left, and opens my desktop. (Trial and error -- a lucky guess.) Is that what "Lock" does?

Last edited by jtur88; 03-17-2015 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or