U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:52 AM

42,663 posts, read 75,390,360 times

Advertisements

This is pretty scary. What happens if I accidentally hit the Lock button when I shut down my computer? Googling the question, it seems I need to have a password to get back in. But if I ever created a password, I have no recollection of ever doing that. I've never had a password in any computer I've ever owned.

If I hit that button, will my computer automatically be dead forever? How do I create a password, as a guard against that idiotic booby trap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 01:46 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,399,992 times
If you click Lock computer and haven't configured a password you should just get a screen with an icon. The icon will be titled whatever your profile name is and it will say locked. There is a button for unlock computer and when you click it, it should just go back to your desktop.

It's not going to lock your PC forever.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
If you click Lock computer and haven't configured a password you should just get a screen with an icon. The icon will be titled whatever your profile name is and it will say locked. There is a button for unlock computer and when you click it, it should just go back to your desktop.

It's not going to lock your PC forever.
That's good to know, but I'm still not going to try it. How does the computer know what my profile name is, when I don't even know what it is myself? Does it assign me one? Do I have to write it down somewhere? What's the point of having a Lock function, if it's that easy for anyone to unlock it?

Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,399,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's good to know, but I'm still not going to try it. How does the computer know what my profile name is, when I don't even know what it is myself? Does it assign me one? Do I have to write it down somewhere? What's the point of having a Lock function, if it's that easy for anyone to unlock it?
When the PC is set up or imaged a profile name is created. Even if you bought it pre-configured from a store there is still a profile name whether or not you know what it is or have ever seen it.

To find out what your profile name is you can look in c:\users if you are interested.

Many people set up multiple profiles with passwords on their PC for each member of their household. This allows them to each have their own share of hard drive space where they can keep their own music, Internet Explorer favorites, etc. If you are logged in but have to step away for a few minutes, clicking Lock will ensure that another user cannot come along and "mess" with your profile. As far as a security measure, it is not very strong. I would liken it to locking the bathroom door. It is very easy to break down but it lets people know that the facilities are in use.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:15 AM

OK, in c:\users, I get three file folders: Default, Owner and Public. Am I getting warmer? Since my desktop is already open, I have no way to verify whether one of them opens a desktop or not.

Is there any way to disable the lock function, so I don't even have to think about something that I'd never use in a million years?

Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 AM

11,734 posts, read 11,311,179 times
Quote:
OK, in c:\users, I get three file folders: Default, Owner and Public. Am I getting warmer? Since my desktop is already open, I have no way to verify whether one of them opens a desktop or not.

Is there any way to disable the lock function, so I don't even have to think about something that I'd never use in a million years?
"Owner" is your username. If you lock your desktop, it will display something like This computer is in use and has been locked by Owner. Simply click on the icon over Owner and the desktop will open back up.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:44 AM

11,832 posts, read 13,968,972 times
Making a mountain out of a mole hill here buddy.
It's not that scary. Even if you did once set a password and have forgotten it if you did lock your computer by accidnets you could just shut it off with the switch and turn it on.
Locking is really more for the corporate world where you MUST use a password to log on.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:16 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,707,293 times
Now why would they make it so very easy to brick your machine? Don't worry, you won't break anything by hitting lock.

Protip: Hold windows key and hit L, see what happens

Protip #2: hold windows key and hit R, then type %userprofile% and hit enter

Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Now why would they make it so very easy to brick your machine? Don't worry, you won't break anything by hitting lock.

Protip: Hold windows key and hit L, see what happens

Protip #2: hold windows key and hit R, then type %userprofile% and hit enter
Protip 1: What does a Windows Key look like?

Protip 2: What should I expect to happen?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:55 AM

11,734 posts, read 11,311,179 times
Quote:
Protip 1: What does a Windows Key look like?

Protip 2: What should I expect to happen?
It's the key with the Windows logo on the lower left corner of the keyboard.

Here's a link to the keyboard shortcut list: List of the keyboard shortcuts that are available in Windows XP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or