Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 11:22 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

Let me begin with: this is not my area of expertise...

I like to leave the router turned on as I move my lap top to different rooms throughout the day....this is no doubt frowned upon by some, but besides electricity, is it a poor/harmful/stupid idea for any reason?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 12:29 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Let me begin with: this is not my area of expertise...

I like to leave the router turned on as I move my lap top to different rooms throughout the day....this is no doubt frowned upon by some, but besides electricity, is it a poor/harmful/stupid idea for any reason?

Thanks
I have never heard of anyone who turns of their router off. They are not really designed to be turned off. I can not think of any good reason to turn it off. The power saving would be negligible.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:13 AM

593 posts, read 1,315,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I have never heard of anyone who turns of their router off. They are not really designed to be turned off. I can not think of any good reason to turn it off. The power saving would be negligible.
I agree, mine doesnt even have on/off button.

and
Quote:
this is no doubt frowned upon by some
No doubt,, i have plenty of doubt about this,,,
never have I heard of people frowning about their wireless network..
If you live in a building, you will get 10 wireless network and they are on 24/7.
Mine is 24/7, and also that little router uses very very small amount of electricity.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:30 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
I think the concern isn't the wasted power consumption but the risk of someone hacking into your network. Even with the best encryption on the router, it becomes a debate as to whether the convenience of turning the router off and on is worth the added security of making it impossible to hack the network while the router is off. Someone could argue any network can be hacked.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:59 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Thanks, that was what I wondered about~

gbh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think the concern isn't the wasted power consumption but the risk of someone hacking into your network. Even with the best encryption on the router, it becomes a debate as to whether the convenience of turning the router off and on is worth the added security of making it impossible to hack the network while the router is off. Someone could argue any network can be hacked.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:14 PM

593 posts, read 1,315,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Well yes, but what are the odds that a hacker is actually withing 50 feet of you apartment/house..
Also just do a MAC Address restriction where only your computer can log in, that would be extremely secure.
also do the regular encryption of 128 bits..
It would be very difficult to break this 2, and someone that can, would be more interested in breaking into better systems.
Like Sony in their PS3 systems.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:21 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
Well yes, but what are the odds that a hacker is actually withing 50 feet of you apartment/house..
Also just do a MAC Address restriction where only your computer can log in, that would be extremely secure.
MAC address filtering and hiding the SSID are nearly useless as security measures since they only keep your honest neighbors from accidentally using your network. Use a strong (see: https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm) WPA2 passcode and the odds of getting hacked are remote.

I just saw your edit. I hope your aren't encouraging people to use 128 bit WEP.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:11 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
MAC address filtering and hiding the SSID are nearly useless as security measures since they only keep your honest neighbors from accidentally using your network. Use a strong (see: https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm) WPA2 passcode and the odds of getting hacked are remote.

I just saw your edit. I hope your aren't encouraging people to use 128 bit WEP.
What he said!

Old 05-29-2011, 01:20 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,247 times
Routers are designed to be on 24/7/365.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:47 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
If it was meant to be turned off, it would have a power switch.

Securing your router (change the default password, disable wireless or internet management) WPA2 and a "strong" passphrase (i.e. not your dogs name or your ssid) will secure your wireless. Today many routers also have the ability to schedule turning the wireless off when you don't need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers