U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:19 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times

Advertisements

Come on NJBest. We speak Layman here.
As far as anyone really needs to know, it's a Windows thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,119 times
seriously, this is the most helpful quick answer I've ever received on a computer issue! A million thank you's! It was the control key!

Old 08-10-2014, 10:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,119 times
seriously, this was the quickest fix for computer issue that I've ever had! A million thank you's! It was the control key!

Old 01-15-2015, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,975 times
Lightbulb Remote but "paired" upside-down in briefcase (Bluetooth Keyboard) unknowing sent my Laptop a "Stuck Control-Key" signal.

Windows 7 Pro, various browsers, HP Notebook computer, various, mice with wheels, and scroll-bands.
================================================== ===============

Hello this is my first post here, (and I am in a bit of a rush), lots to do tonight yet.

I suddenly began having this problem "the screen would zoom-in and out" when it should be scrolling, in Firefox and thought that it was browser specific; so I tried all the settings, tried the control panel, et cetera. Re-booting, nothing, seemed to help, so I tried several other browsers: Chrome, I.E., Opera, Safari, et cetera. This occurred with my wired scroll-ball, my two Bluetooth wireless mice. All the browsers zoomed instead of scrolling, nothing helped.

I even tried turning off my -- secondary Logitech lighted wireless keyboard -- that I like to use with the laptop at home (with the laptop on a shelf). Nothing helped and it was maddening.

My next step was to run a Google search to research the causes and find a fix. The results from the Google search, mention of the stuck control key "rang a bell", I used air to clean out the keyboards, still no fix. Then it hit me, I had recently purchased another separate wireless "Fire Tablet " Bluetooth Keyboard" for my Fire HDX 8.9" Tablet. To test the keyboard, I had "paired" it with the laptop briefly, and then basically left it on the shelf with my tablet, and inside my briefcase.

But, it was still paired and connected via "Bluetooth wireless" to the laptop. It was upside down and still turned-on so the control key was being pressed unintentionally. As soon as I freed the keyboard, my laptop and the various mice worked normal again, and subsequently I unpaired it from the laptop. Everything returned to normal behavior, on the remote problem laptop where the mice were zooming rather than scrolling as intended.. A stuck control-key on a wireless keyboard across the room -- out of sight and out of mind.

FWiW.
I have tested using three separate Bluetooth and wireless mice and three Bluetooth and RF wireless keyboards on the same computer all concurrently. Several users can use separate input devices of a computer at the same time.

Now, I can LOL.

There is a moral in there...

Last edited by riverlynx; 01-15-2015 at 09:38 PM..

Old 06-27-2015, 05:49 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,414,895 times
Old thread, but I just had this happen so I'm posting.

Mouse wheel was zooming, and keys weren't typing the letters but were opening tabs and bringing up other windows.

I shut down the laptop, waited a couple of minutes and started it up again. After reading this thread, I tapped both Control keys, which weren't stuck.

Everything is working normally now.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:21 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
I shut down the laptop, waited a couple of minutes and started it up again. After reading this thread, I tapped both Control keys, which weren't stuck.
Just because they weren't physically stuck in the down position doesn't mean one was not in the 'ON' position. "Stuck" keys don't get stuck in the down position like old typewriters used to.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Sounds like you have a sticky CTL key. CTL scroll is zoom in FF, and CTL changes a lot of other key combos.

Next time try tapping it a few times to see if it clears up (remember you have a left and right CTL key, so you may have to try both.)
Yup. Sticky key. The fact that other functions are also screwed up indicates that the Ctrl function is turned on, so whenever you hit any key the computer reads your input as id you'd typed Ctrl/whichever key you hit. Just tap the Ctrl key a few times and that should cure the problem. If it doesn't, or if the problem recurs more than once in a great while, take the computer (or just the keyboard if it's not a laptop or tablet) in and have them open it up and clean things out.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Just because they weren't physically stuck in the down position doesn't mean one was not in the 'ON' position. "Stuck" keys don't get stuck in the down position like old typewriters used to.
Ditto. Actually, the key itself could be stuck on some keyboards, but it's more likely that the dingus below the actual key (which you can't even see without opening the keyboard) is what's "stuck" in the on position. Because of that, it MIGHT be an electronic, rather than a physically stuck key or switch problem, which is why my first comment in this thread recommended taking it in for repair if tapping Ctrl doesn't fix things or if the problem keeps recurring. Even though a physically stuck key or switch is the most likely cause, if it's not they'll be able to diagnose and fix whatever it is, and if it is you'll have gotten things cleaned out, which is never a bad thing.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:50 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,841,532 times
Must be a slow day in the forums when this much brain power and time is wasted on an issue involving a mouse!

Old 12-09-2015, 06:03 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,768,488 times
... from 4 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers