U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:34 PM

1,127 posts, read 3,905,909 times

Advertisements

Suddenly, my mouse wheel began changing the text size in Mozilla instead of scrolling up and down a page.

Various other functions were also different. Alt+Tab no longer worked, for example, and various keys produced odd results. Typing the Escape key pulled up the Start menu.

I eventually got back to normal after typing a number of keys randomly.

This has happened before, and I think the last time, my only recourse was to restart Windows.

Anyone know what causes this, and how to get out of it?

Running Windows XP on a Compaq Presario Laptop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 12:48 PM

11,659 posts, read 26,758,670 times
Sounds like a cabling or connection issue between the keyboard controller and keyboard and mouse. For most folks, that is a quick trip to a repair center and having them open 'er up, blow out the dust, clean and replug the components.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:57 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,373,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
Suddenly, my mouse wheel began changing the text size in Mozilla instead of scrolling up and down a page.

Various other functions were also different. Alt+Tab no longer worked, for example, and various keys produced odd results. Typing the Escape key pulled up the Start menu.

I eventually got back to normal after typing a number of keys randomly.

This has happened before, and I think the last time, my only recourse was to restart Windows.

Anyone know what causes this, and how to get out of it?

Running Windows XP on a Compaq Presario Laptop
Sounds like you have a sticky CTL key. CTL scroll is zoom in FF, and CTL changes a lot of other key combos.

Next time try tapping it a few times to see if it clears up (remember you have a left and right CTL key, so you may have to try both.)

Old 05-25-2011, 11:43 PM

20,662 posts, read 16,169,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Sounds like a cabling or connection issue between the keyboard controller and keyboard and mouse. For most folks, that is a quick trip to a repair center and having them open 'er up, blow out the dust, clean and replug the components.
That doesn't sound right...

It's almost certainly a stuck control key.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 PM

1,127 posts, read 3,905,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That doesn't sound right...

It's almost certainly a stuck control key.
That's it. Holding down the CTRL key turns the mouse wheel into a size changer.

I don't think that's covered in my Mozilla shortcuts list:

Mozilla Keyboard Shortcuts

Many thanks.

Hank

Old 05-26-2011, 01:21 PM

19,332 posts, read 22,326,419 times
That's normally a stuck alright. I seem to remember from the olden days there was a method lock the Ctrl key, but I'm not 100% on that.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:37 PM

Accessibility shortcuts

• Press SHIFT five times: Toggles StickyKeys on and off
  • Press down and hold the right SHIFT key for eight seconds: Toggles FilterKeys on and off
  • Press down and hold the NUM LOCK key for five seconds: Toggles ToggleKeys on and off
  • Left ALT+left SHIFT+NUM LOCK: Toggles MouseKeys on and off
  • Left ALT+left SHIFT+PRINT SCREEN: Toggles high contrast on and off

Old 05-26-2011, 03:05 PM

5,968 posts, read 5,984,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post

I don't think that's covered in my Mozilla shortcuts list:

Hank
Because it isn't a Mozilla shortcut. It is built into Windows.
It works on IE, Chrome, FF, Word, Wordperfect, Excel, Powerpoint, Adobe Reader and heck... on Windows7 it will even make the icons on your dekstop bigger or smaller.

It's not an considered an accessibility shortcut either.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It works on IE, Chrome, FF, Word, Wordperfect, Excel, Powerpoint, Adobe Reader and heck... on Windows7 it will even make the icons on your dekstop bigger or smaller.

I wasn't implying that it is. If you had read the initial post you'd know that the first concern was why mouse functions were screwy. It came to light that having the ctrl key locked causes it.

My post was simply pointing out that Pressing the SHIFT key five times toggles StickyKeys on and off, which will lock ctrl if it is pressed. The rest of the list was for information purposes only.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:12 AM

20,662 posts, read 16,169,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

It's actually not part of the Windows API. While it is supported by a lot of software, it is a unique implementation to each application that supports it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers