U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 AM

4,244 posts, read 12,771,777 times

Advertisements

Just bought a HP Pavilion p6000 running Windows7 Home Premium 64 bit. AMD Athlon II 640 Quad-Core; 4GB DDR3 memory; 1TB hard drive, ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics.

I kept the monitor from my dead Gateway ... 17" LCD Gateway FPD1730.

Problem: I cannot for the life of me set a proper resolution and display so that there's consistency throughout usage of this machine with font size and webpage size.

For example, this city-data page: what I'm typing here in this box is gigantic, the text in the top right corner (Welcome, You last visited, Direct Messages, etc.) is teeny tiny as is this thread's title, my browser (Firefox) text for toolbars, bookmarks, search box are medium-sized.

Regardless of where I am on the computer, even on the desktop, all the fonts are bold and "thick" and thus appear blurry and there's no consistency in size. I've played with adjusting ClearType (turning it off which is worse; picking different samples for different clarities). It doesn't seem to change the boldness/thickness even if I change the DPI -- all that does is change the size of everything in the same proportions. To make teeny text bigger, the text in this box becomes so big it's readable from the next room.

I've tried using Firefox options to set fonts and colors and there's never any change.

The current resolution I quit with is 1280 x 960; text size medium (125% 9 point Segoe UI at 120 pixels per inch with "Use Windows XP style DPI scaling" as an unchangeable checked off item (grayed out)).

Question 1: I'm guessing Segoe UI is the default font for this machine, and perhaps that is the problem, but I cannot find a way to change the default to something else. Help?

Question 2: is the problem also the Gateway monitor and I have to buy a new monitor to work with this dam* Win7 64 bit?

I know most of you are not fans of AOL software, but honestly it has been the best benchmark for me to see that things are just not going well with my display. With XP I had NO resolution/font size/webpage size problems whatsoever, not even with AOL. But with this HP Win7 64 bit, computer life is a headache (literally -- talk about eye strain).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 09:41 AM

3,547 posts, read 5,683,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Just bought a HP Pavilion p6000 running Windows7 Home Premium 64 bit. AMD Athlon II 640 Quad-Core; 4GB DDR3 memory; 1TB hard drive, ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics.

I kept the monitor from my dead Gateway ... 17" LCD Gateway FPD1730.

Problem: I cannot for the life of me set a proper resolution and display so that there's consistency throughout usage of this machine with font size and webpage size.

For example, this city-data page: what I'm typing here in this box is gigantic, the text in the top right corner (Welcome, You last visited, Direct Messages, etc.) is teeny tiny as is this thread's title, my browser (Firefox) text for toolbars, bookmarks, search box are medium-sized.

Regardless of where I am on the computer, even on the desktop, all the fonts are bold and "thick" and thus appear blurry and there's no consistency in size. I've played with adjusting ClearType (turning it off which is worse; picking different samples for different clarities). It doesn't seem to change the boldness/thickness even if I change the DPI -- all that does is change the size of everything in the same proportions. To make teeny text bigger, the text in this box becomes so big it's readable from the next room.

I've tried using Firefox options to set fonts and colors and there's never any change.

The current resolution I quit with is 1280 x 960; text size medium (125% 9 point Segoe UI at 120 pixels per inch with "Use Windows XP style DPI scaling" as an unchangeable checked off item (grayed out)).

Question 1: I'm guessing Segoe UI is the default font for this machine, and perhaps that is the problem, but I cannot find a way to change the default to something else. Help?

Question 2: is the problem also the Gateway monitor and I have to buy a new monitor to work with this dam* Win7 64 bit?

I know most of you are not fans of AOL software, but honestly it has been the best benchmark for me to see that things are just not going well with my display. With XP I had NO resolution/font size/webpage size problems whatsoever, not even with AOL. But with this HP Win7 64 bit, computer life is a headache (literally -- talk about eye strain).
I doubt that it's got anything to do with Windows7 specifically.

Monitors are designed to run at a certain "native" resolution, and if you have blocky fonts then you probably aren't at the correct resolution. The native resolution for your monitor is supposedly 1280 x 1024 so that's what I'd set it to.

Once you have the resolution set correctly, then you can adjust the font to a level that you're comfortable with, but be aware that not every program will play nice with the non standard font size (as you can see), and changing the DPI can make things even worse.

I'd start by setting the resolution, setting the font size back to 100% (normal), and resetting the DPI to 100%. If you made any changes to the fonts or font sizes in the theme then you may want to reset that to default as well.

If you've messed with the Firefox zoom level, you can go into Firefox and hit CTL+0 (zero) to reset it.

From there you can play with the DPI and font size to get it to your liking. DPI changes are the "right" way to adjust the monitor, but they also tend to break things like menus, message boxes, and applications that don't play nice when not in 96 DPI. Changing the font may work out better for you.

Here's an article on setting DPI: Changing Windows' Default Display Font Size (http://www.wordstar.org/computing/pages/monitor_cal.htm - broken link)

Old 05-26-2011, 10:57 AM

28,648 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post

Q1: Options/Content is where you change the default font/size, etc. Mine is Tahoma.

The problem in AOL (and elsewhere) probably isn't XP vs. W7, but the hardware used for graphics. If the XP graphics card had a default resolution that the monitor handled well and the HP with W7 doesn't life gets difficult. That said it should look okay at 1280x1024 as Skunk mentioned.

You might try right-clicking the desktop and choose Screen Resolution. There you should see "recommended" next to one of the choices in the Resolution pop out menu. On that same screen there is a link at the bottom, "What display settings should I choose?" which might help. You can also adjust text and other items through a link there.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:18 PM

4,244 posts, read 12,771,777 times
This is just the nuttiest thing -- honestly it shouldn't be so much hard work to make this computer work. Anyway, Skunk Workz and Tek_Freek ... thanks for your input ... things are getting better.

I also found these two sites to be extremely helpful since I think the biggest part of the issue is the default font Segoe UI. I downloaded and ran the NoSegoe program and that has helped tremendously (fonts not as bold and thick and blurry anymore). Still lots more tweaking to do ... at least the text in the above right corner of this webpage is no longer teeny tiny and the text I putting in this box is not gigantic. Now I'm just dealing with some fonts being tall and skinny and some being squat and spread out. Just a matter of more tweaking -- joyful :-)

Any ideas on how to replace Segoe UI 9pt with Tahoma 8? - Windows 7 Forums

Steve's NoSegoe Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers