U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:13 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,678,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post

They are only a waste of time depending on how you use them. . .
I agree so much with your comment.

Now, do I spend way too much time here on CD??? Why yes, yes I do. And I don't consider it a waste of time, even then. It's just a leisure time enjoyment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 11:31 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,231,940 times
In another 10 years, evolution will do away with human vocal cords.

Silence is golden.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:53 PM

28,631 posts, read 40,609,166 times
I can't begin to name the number of items I was able to buy online that I could not find locally. Most were discontinued so when I did find them I bought in quantity.

It's much easier to edit when writing a book.

Without my computers and scanners I never could have scanned and saved approximately 2000 images of photos, documents, etc. and sent copies of the CDs to everyone in our family.

Email makes communicating so much easier than snail mail and is certainly faster!

I couldn't harass all the wonderful people on City Data without one. That would be a real shame, wouldn't it?

Old 05-27-2011, 06:18 PM

8,565 posts, read 9,807,450 times
Are computers becoming a waste of time?

Good gosh and by golly... NO! ! !

Given another ten years or so, computers by access to the Internet will have erased an entire generation of ignorance, boredom and retail fleecing. Including finding a better air fare to far away places and a safe place to sleep while there.

Considering the place I grew up, if I had Internet access then, I'd be someplace completely different and by far preferred than responding on this forum.

I'm able to access information and opinion, resulting in thought process, that would have been prohibited in the days of my youth.

I've learned to play Hearts without some punk trying to cheat me. I don't win a lot but I have a better understanding of playing the game.

I'm sure I could go on with invaluable differences a computer has provided to me but ultimately, I am not subject the the whims of some person's arbitrarily deciding when or how I will receive information or entertainment. Simply by a daily increase of my mastery of the Internet.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:57 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,329,995 times
Computers are a pleasant waste of time when you're playing nice video games!

Otherwise, they make my life very productive.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:49 PM

34,318 posts, read 59,648,976 times
Computers are a "Device."

"Wasting time" is a personal behavior.

So, people waste time. Sometimes they blame computers for their behavior.

I can just see Flip Wilson on Laugh In, 2011:
"The computer made me do it!"

YouTube - ‪Flip Wilson on The Ed Sullivan Show‬‏

Old 05-28-2011, 08:41 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,432,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I also have approximately 20,000 songs stored and everything in the house streams from this PC so that virtually every room has access to the same music/video library.
How do you set that up?

Hank

Old 05-28-2011, 11:53 PM

594 posts, read 1,186,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I pay my bills and check my balance. The news is always old. The weather inaccurate. I cancelled Facebook because it was just people trying to sell me stuff. I still use AMAZON ..
U can't be serious, are you???
News has never been faster? Where u can get local news every hour.
I get local news by email and push on my iPhone by local foxnews and they are 2 after the incident. 20 years ago, u had to wait a full day or even more.
You can't even run a business without a computer, my whole business is on computers(accounting firm).

Old 05-29-2011, 12:09 AM

594 posts, read 1,186,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
How do you set that up?

Hank
Go to start, and on the search bar, put homegroup, then it should give you about 4 to 5 result, pick the one that is choose or create one.
you will have to put the files that you want to share, in share mode.
I have the same system where all computers in the house share the same homegroup network, including my PS3 came play music, videos and see pictures from my main computer.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:35 PM

696 posts, read 1,519,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle
I pay my bills and check my balance. The news is always old. The weather inaccurate. I cancelled Facebook because it was just people trying to sell me stuff. I still use AMAZON ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Yes they are, I suggest you throw yours away and never touch one again!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers