U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:34 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,090,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I know a complete computer noob that has hacked WEP networks. It doesn't take networking knowledge, just software and some very basic instructions.
I can do it on my Android phone--and I don't even know the first thing about hacking. WEP is notoriously unsecure. Not to mention this chump blabbing about illegal sharing isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:17 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Even if you don't have enemies, why would you want to share your bandwidth with the neighbors. An open wireless router is asking for trouble, especially if you have shared folders on your network.
It's been 4 years. Not one issue.
and...
You don't know my neighbors.
I do.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:39 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,574,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
and...
I do.
It isn't neighbors I would be worried about, but wardrivers. Wardriving is an excellent way to get anonymous access for illegal activity. Unless you have IPSs and IDSs running to prevent abnormal activity and access (or shut down and trap such), you leave yourself open to some very serious abuses.

Sure, the chances of it happening may be slim, but it only takes one abuse to which it is traced back to you and due to your open policy, you will be 100% liable for the action taken through your WAP.

Though more power to you. If you are willing to take that risk, its your choice. /shrug

Old 06-01-2011, 11:22 AM

11,707 posts, read 11,301,056 times
The OP just wanted to know if the router should be left on. Now, it has degenerated into whether somebody is going to hack an open wireless connection. Just answer the OP's question.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:35 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,705,982 times
Turning off my router has never once even crossed my mind. If someone happens to crack my encryption, spoof my MAC and download a bunch of unmentionable stuff, well then I guess I'll have a problem to deal with.......for now I won't worry

Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,574,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The OP just wanted to know if the router should be left on. Now, it has degenerated into whether somebody is going to hack an open wireless connection. Just answer the OP's question.
The OP was asking if it was a bad idea, frowned upon, etc... One of the mentions was security to which is why the discussion covered such. Completely within topic.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:19 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,260,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
and...
I do.
But do you know their 14 year old nephew that comes to spend a week-end with them. Do you know the guy sitting in the car just down the street at 2 AM?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:21 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,260,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Turning off my router has never once even crossed my mind. If someone happens to crack my encryption, spoof my MAC and download a bunch of unmentionable stuff, well then I guess I'll have a problem to deal with.......for now I won't worry
If your using WPA or WPA2, then your good. I don't worry about it either, but I have secured my wireless.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:33 PM

31,074 posts, read 34,128,567 times
I've never turned mine off and i have an open network too. Once, when my next door neighbors were moving, they let me know they they were using my connection becasue theirs was already cancelelled. They could only get it in one specific locaton in their house but I was happy to help. It's been up and running for about 12 years without a problem but this isn't exactly a place where people can easily connect to it either.

Just curious, what legal actions have been taken against people who had open access and someone else connected to it? I honestly don't have a clue and might change my mind about this.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:16 PM

696 posts, read 1,518,305 times
Michigan man arrested for using cafe's free WiFi from his car

Michigan man arrested for using cafe's free WiFi from his car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers