U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 01:35 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,270,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

Some of us don't live in Chicago...
On purpose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 02:55 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,187,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
There's a Fry's not too far where my work is ... and honestly, I don't recall the last time I've stepped foot in there. Unless I absolutely, positively needed it that day, I just order from Newegg instead. No crowds, no morons, and no gas needed to get there.
I feel the same. Frys is horrible. At least we have a MicroCenter in the same general area. No Crowds, No Morons, prices are roughly the same and the sales staff is more knowledgeable and better motivated (and speak common English vs. Geek Engrish).

Old 05-31-2011, 03:35 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,206,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
99% of my purchases are online, and have never received a defective or incorrect component.
Same here.

The last thing I bought from a store (Microcenter) was my Q9550 a couple of years ago. It was the best price and Newegg and other places were sold out.

So yes, there can be some great deals at the brick and mortar stores but for the most part Newegg and other online retailers can't be beat.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:06 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,330,670 times
I have no issues with Fry's, other than that there are 3 of them in Houston whereas Chicago only has 1. I check their Friday ads everytime for sale items. But if MicroCenter has the same items I will buy there with price matching. Fry's will price match online prices too!

But one place I usually don't go to is small computer shops. They're just for fixing computers and they can't compete on product sales.

If you shop Newegg, check other places before buying from them. They don't always have the best price, but they'll usually have it in stock. Like I saved $10 by buying my Geforce 570 HD vc direct from EVGA than from Newegg.

Oh, one time I bought $80 worth of DVD DL -R's from Meritline and they wouldn't burn movies. I sent them back for a refund and they didn't give me a cc refund, - only a store credit - that was their policy! So I'm never gonne buy from them again and I haven't used the store credit in 3 years!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 PM

10,754 posts, read 18,012,225 times
Personally I would have used the $80 store credit, I generally don't just give stores money for nothing in return.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:50 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,330,670 times
I'll eventually use the store credit. But I will never buy from a place that doesn't give cc refunds.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:55 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,091,912 times
I work in one of those "small stores" and you know what, we often are way over-priced. If I told you our markups, you'd probably be floored. It's expensive keeping a shop open, and if we only made $5 on a hard-drive, we couldn't. Without the high-volume of places like TigerDirect, NewEgg, or even BestBuy, we would never be able to stay open, so anything you *did* buy from us wouldn't be able to be warrantied anyway.

But then again, most people aren't all that intelligent either, and the ones that are smart, are too ignorant to know what to get. If they took the time to research what they needed, we wouldn't be in business. They get to trade being lazy (and sometimes stupid) with their cash. I know dick about my car, have no means to fix it, and that's why it goes to the car-shop.

With that rant over, I've been ordering for years from NewEgg with zero problems. My boss swears everything he gets from NewEgg breaks, and instead constantly over-spends at Infotel on crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or