Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 07:22 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,035 times

Advertisements

Sometimes it's better to buy computer parts from a store! I've been burned sometimes buying stuff online than in a store! Like a bought a Newegg Pioneer Blu-ray burner - and it failed in making backup Blu Rays. I exchanged it for another Blu-ray burner of the same model and that didn't work. Unfortunately, Newegg's policy on that Blu-ray burner was exchange only, no refund - so I got burned with a defective burner model. Second time around buying a Blu-ray burner I got one on Fry's Sale. An LG 12x burner retail pack for $89 that was better than any OEM LG burner on Newegg [it worked fine]. Newegg oftens sells just oem burners, not retail pack.

Another time it was better buying from the store than Newegg was when I bought the SATA2 hard drives for my NAS. Turns out my NAS had problems with its interface for Samsung 2TB drives - I mistakenly thought my hard drives were bad and returned them twice. Sure saved on shipping!

Then when local stores have sales it's better than buying anything online! Like my i7 2600K cpu for $250, 12x LG Bluray burner for $89 June, Just Cause 2 for $20, the videogame sales at Fry's, and on sale computer cases at local stores. I often check the sales ads for Micro Center, TigerDirect, and Fry's.
Recently I saved on shipping costs when I exchanged a defective floppy multi-card memory reader to a TigerDirect local store.

So I buy from whoever's cheapest sometimes, most likely online. But if stuff is problematic I'd buy it from a store.

Just recently bought this awesome 24 inch monitor from a TigerDirect local store. Newegg.com - ASUS VE247H Black 23.6" 2ms Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 300 cd/m2 10,000,000:1 (ASCR)
From Tiger direct, I purchased an extended two year warranty for $30, but this gives me in-store exchange privileges for any defective monitor issue, for a total of five years coverage [3 years manufacturers coverage exchanged in-store]. I recommend this monitor because it's very power saving - mine only uses 16 W! Awesome for a low-power HTPC set up.

How about you, and have you been burned by online buying? How has buying from local stores been to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 08:41 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Once the CompUSA stores were gone, BestBuy cut out most of the stuff they carried just to undercut them. So except for going into small private stores, there's no real choice except for online.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:40 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,978,515 times
There's a Fry's not too far where my work is ... and honestly, I don't recall the last time I've stepped foot in there. Unless I absolutely, positively needed it that day, I just order from Newegg instead. No crowds, no morons, and no gas needed to get there.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:52 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,660,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Once the CompUSA stores were gone, BestBuy cut out most of the stuff they carried just to undercut them. So except for going into small private stores, there's no real choice except for online.
It's the same here. We don't have Fry's, and Best Buy has a lackluster selection and is way overpriced.

I bought a couple of monitors here a few years ago, before Circuit City went under, but it was a huge hassle dealing with the store.

The only time I go to one of the little local guys is if I have a failure that I don't have a spare part for, and I can't wait for Newegg to ship, or for something that I want to touch before I buy it (keyboard, mouse, etc).

Old 05-30-2011, 07:05 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
Everyone gets a defective product now and then, not something I consider as getting burned. And not everyone has the option of buying local, all I have in my area is best buy, I only shop there if I need instant satisfaction.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:26 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,078,854 times
I mainly purchase from CompUSA and TigerDirect, of course they are the same company. But, I go into the locations instead of purchasing online. I save on shipping, and don't have to wait to get the items.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:57 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
99% of my purchases are online, and have never received a defective or incorrect component.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
I buy local if the price is better (rare). In all the years I've purchased through Newegg for myself and clients I've had one bad item. A RAM chip that Newegg took care of promptly.

No problem here!

Some of us don't live in Chicago...

Old 05-31-2011, 07:10 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times
We have several small private stores here. Most of them are places I do not trust and the prices are way too much. However, there is one store that knows their stuff, has good products at good prices. One friend went their and bought the parts for a new build for about the same money as Tiger Direct. He had to pay sales tax, but no shipping.

I also know one honest repair shop. I send referrals there sometimes.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:31 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
I used to buy a lot from the small local guys, but over the past few years their pricing and selection has been horrible compared to what I could get online or at one of the big retailers. It seems that near me pretty much all of the local shops now just cater to the casual home user who distrusts big companies like Dell or HP or small businesses that want support as well as hardware.

I've ordered a few things off Newegg and have never had an issue. However, I am blessed by having both a MicroCenter and CompUSA within 20 miles of my house. For my last build, I specced everything out on MicroCenter's site (which also confirms what they have in inventory) and then cross shopped the exact components at Newegg.com and CompUSA. I went into the store, handed the guy my parts list and he spent about 10 minutes getting me everything I needed. I then handed him the advertised prices from their competitors for a few itmes that were lower than what they had and they price matched every single one without any issues.

For me if I'm ordering something one-off then I will just order it online and call it a day. If I'm buying a bunch of stuff, it's worth the trip to the store, especially MicroCenter as they will price match everything and I get the best deal overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers